Management UPDATE: Steve Staios GM and POHO, Dave Poulin Senior VP of Hockey Operations

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
We need some hockey trades Steve. The Muppets are getting restless! 2, 3, 4, team trades!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

- talks about how the team grew under Jacques
- Believes players care, discussed with them how they can continue to grow.
- Talked about expectations, we need to build towards those expectations by working on the details
- This was a very important year for evaluations.
- Wants to continue to grow from within, massive potential, but there are areas that need to improve and that's his job.
- Talked about bringing in the right people for the right positions.
- Hasn't told any RFA or UFA whether they will be returning yet.
- Coaching search is in process and ongoing, has spoken to a couple people, have a longer list, and want to take the time to look at everyone who may be available, but if the perfect candidate is identified they'll get it done right away.
- Alfredsson not in consideration for HC job.
- Jacques will continue in consulting role,
- Would welcome all the mbrs of the current coaching staff back but doesn't know how that will unfold.
- Goaltending: Believes they are better than their numbers, do you address that because they had off years, does improving the play in front of them make a difference,
- On committing to Korpisalo will be back, they'll be looking at everything to try and improve, but knows that Korpi will be better next year,
- On Chychrun and his next deal, he's a heck of a player, as far as moving forward, he won't discuss contracts in this forum, but they think highly of him
- Biggest disappointment - We saw when we play to our potential, we are very good, played some of our best games against contenders, pinpointing what it takes to be consistent, players need to go through disappointment to learn how to deal with that and learn what they need to do to be better.
- On Stu - Wants to make something happen every shift, when it doesn't happen, he gets frustrated. With time, he'll learn to better manage those emotions.
- Believes what Jacques brought will have lasting positive effects with the players
- Sounds like Jacques role will be wider ranging than coaching consultant,
- Norris will be ready for training camp. Expects him to be 100% both physically and mentally.
- On French being important, Staois is working on learning more french, in terms of the coaching hire, he doesn't feel language can be a major factor but it is a positive.
- on scouting philosophy - Value character and hockey sense, Top of the board is BPA but down the board they may consider positional needs
- Don Boyd is head of amateur scouting.
- Won't do anything for the sake of doing something.
- Identified names that may be available both by trade and UFA.
- Buyouts: would consider anything, but does not see any in this group at this time where it makes sense.
Your notes and summary of the interview was good.

After listening to the interview, there was a few specifics in the interview that were interesting and noteworthy e.g. Norris will be ready for the start of the season, Boyd will lead the draft.

However, a lot of his answers and statements seemed like more obvious common sense stuff that most would know about. A few examples (there were many) of that would be Stutzle wants to make a difference every shift and gets frustrated when that doesn’t happen, team can play well even against contenders, etc. Again, I’m not expecting more than that and that he’d discuss contracts or things like that to use another extreme example of something that you wouldn’t expect.

After listening to this interview, I think the most specific thing he said of note was that he didn’t believe there would be any buyouts.

Reactions: Micklebot

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think we should really avoid calling Staois a nepotism hire, assuming you are referring to him.

Andlauer isn't a newbie to NHL circles. He's been involved in the league for a long time which provides him some familiarity with people in NHL circles.

He's also not new to hockey ownership. He's had a successful OHL franchise.

He's got a positive historical relationship with Staois. Staois is a guy that played 1000 games in the league, has experience and success running an operation with total control and front office exposure in 2 Canadian NHL markets.

Nepotism is a word with basically no positive connotations. None. I don't think that applies to Staois.
Nepotism does not apply to Staios because he is not a relative of Andlauer.

"Nepotism - Favoritism shown or patronage granted to relatives."

Reactions: bert and DrEasy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He has a grand total of one season of head coaching experience at the professional level coaching a stacked Marlies roster to a middling season.

Zero reason to think he's the best coach available for this team.
Gruden does not meet the "best in class" criteria, so no to him as the next HC.

Logan Coture makes sense if we trade Chabot. 8 mil out and 8 in, leadership and vet health depending.
NON "sense"! We don't need old over-the-hill vets.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We’ve seen the dark clouds over this team at the end of the season before and although this season was super frustrating I don’t get the sense the fanbase is as unruly and worried as they were in previous seasons. i don’t know if it’s more optimistic but the pilots voices are certainly more calming and give you a sense they have the proper manual to run an NHL team.

And lots of good news coming so vibes could turn around quick:

Coach hiring
Draft lottery
Pinto extension
Kelly extension
Draft
Some key trades

Reactions: Relapsing

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Never says anything. There is no point listening to him I mean, the Josh Norris surgery...bud, it's ok you can talk about it you know? He had it months ago ffs

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
If you're intro rapidly receding hairlines I guess. Do you think Matthews is a looker as well?
You know it

1713565739448.png

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
There’s no reason to think he isn’t the best, or one of the best options.

He’s extremely adept at defensive structure, he doesn’t let players call the shots and isn’t afraid to be the bad guy, he does what he thinks is best for the team regardless of marching orders, and is still loved by his players even when he is a hardass (was fired for refusing to play the owners son, and was then rehired a day later when the Firebirds walked out and refused to play unless he was rehired).

Everything this team has sucked at, he’s known for. Getting the most of his players, strong 2 way play, defensive structure, not letting the inmates run the show, benching players when their play is poor.

He’s a very good option for this team, regardless of his tenure.
John?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Never says anything. There is no point listening to him I mean, the Josh Norris surgery...bud, it's ok you can talk about it you know? He had it months ago ffs

You’re a Sens fan, What could Staois or any person that works for the Ottawa Senators possibly say to make you happy? What is it you want to hear?

Staois could of said they are bringing in Wayne Gretzky, they hired John Cooper, they traded for Victor Hedman and they put Dominik Haseks brain inside Korpisalos head and I’d still be like “don’t give a shit dude just make the playoffs”

This fanbase has heard every bullshit excuse and lie and been abused and watched shit shot hockey for 7 years. To me talk with this team is totally useless. Even Brady doesn’t know what to say anymore. he’s at a loss for words. There’s nothing to say there’s no words that can help us as Sensfans . nothing to make us believe - just make the f***ing playoffs.

“There’s only 1 cure for this fever, I need more cowbell”

Reactions: Relapsing

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
And that just by itself is a refreshing change from the previous GM.
Sure, common sense is good of course. And, I don’t think revealing the fine details of his strategy for public consumption is a good thing either.

But, I would say its become rather obvious that we aren’t going to learn too much from his interviews. So, I think it would be difficult to reach definitive conclusions based on what Staois says as he reveals little. When people say “this is what he said”, I think its more projection and what people want to hear or believe.

I’m more focused & fascinated by the future of the Senators, and especially what will happen over this summer versus what happened in the past.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
1713630297253.png

When most of us were still filled with excitement over the promise of this year, Staois seemed non-plussed in a sort of 'we’ll see' attitude about Dorions best effort. Seems he was right to be.

As fans we have suffered for a while, and there’s temptation to pout that we want our hasenpfeffer now, regardless of whether we are in a position in the development cycle to expect that.

But this is year 1 of the new era. And we have to make long term plans to win. Hopefully we don’t blow our wad in one summer going for it.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
What did you want? A bunch of lies and fodder like the last guy would belt out? ‘The rebuild is over’ or or how he would flip and flip on whether DJ Smith is his coach or whether they are competing for a playoff spot or not?

You want him to tell you who he’s not signing like the last guy? That always seemed unprofessional to me and glad Staios addressed it head on by saying now is not the time to do that.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
What did you want? A bunch of lies and fodder like the last guy would belt out? ‘The rebuild is over’ or or how he would flip and flip on whether DJ Smith is his coach or whether they are competing for a playoff spot or not?

You want him to tell you who he’s not signing like the last guy? That always seemed unprofessional to me and glad Staios addressed it head on by saying now is not the time to do that.
One thing...I don't think PD flipflopped on DJ being the coach until the new regime. Then he flipped like a rat to save his own job...but he was told ...No, it's up to you and you will own your descision.

Reactions: SensHulk

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It appears that initially, they favored Gruden for the head coach position at the start of the season. However, as the season progressed and they received feedback from Martin, it seems he recommended a veteran coach with head coaching experience or a winning pedigree, rather than a first-time head coach with limited experience.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Age does this to many. Your time is coming. :)

It appears that initially, they favored Gruden for the head coach position at the start of the season. However, as the season progressed and they received feedback from Martin, it seems he recommended a veteran coach with head coaching experience or a winning pedigree, rather than a first-time head coach with limited experience.
Do you have a source for this?

One thing...I don't think PD flipflopped on DJ being the coach until the new regime. Then he flipped like a rat to save his own job...but he was told ...No, it's up to you and you will own your descision.
DJ had a contract; Dorion just allowed DJ to stay under that contract.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
View attachment 855763

When most of us were still filled with excitement over the promise of this year, Staois seemed non-plussed in a sort of 'we’ll see' attitude about Dorions best effort. Seems he was right to be.

As fans we have suffered for a while, and there’s temptation to pout that we want our hasenpfeffer now, regardless of whether we are in a position in the development cycle to expect that.

But this is year 1 of the new era. And we have to make long term plans to win. Hopefully we don’t blow our wad in one summer going for it.

Stew using hare meat!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, common sense is good of course. And, I don’t think revealing the fine details of his strategy for public consumption is a good thing either.

But, I would say its become rather obvious that we aren’t going to learn too much from his interviews. So, I think it would be difficult to reach definitive conclusions based on what Staois says as he reveals little. When people say “this is what he said”, I think its more projection and what people want to hear or believe.

I’m more focused & fascinated by the future of the Senators, and especially what will happen over this summer versus what happened in the past.
I hope Straios is a better GM than Dorion and does not trade young prospects, players and draft picks for over-the-hill vets who are "good in the room" but "not so good" on the ice.

This team will go nowhere if we do any more trades like Zibanejad and a second round pick for declining vets like Brassard, or Stone for Brannstrom, or Hoffman for "what's-his-name".

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
You’re a Sens fan, What could Staois or any person that works for the Ottawa Senators possibly say to make you happy? What is it you want to hear?

Staois could of said they are bringing in Wayne Gretzky, they hired John Cooper, they traded for Victor Hedman and they put Dominik Haseks brain inside Korpisalos head and I’d still be like “don’t give a shit dude just make the playoffs”

This fanbase has heard every bullshit excuse and lie and been abused and watched shit shot hockey for 7 years. To me talk with this team is totally useless. Even Brady doesn’t know what to say anymore. he’s at a loss for words. There’s nothing to say there’s no words that can help us as Sensfans . nothing to make us believe - just make the f***ing playoffs.

“There’s only 1 cure for this fever, I need more cowbell”
I want to see positive changes such as hiring an experienced and successful GM and coaching staff. Plus sign a UFA player to fill the voids (big tough RD). Spend the $$$ to get it done.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Your notes and summary of the interview was good.

After listening to the interview, there was a few specifics in the interview that were interesting and noteworthy e.g. Norris will be ready for the start of the season, Boyd will lead the draft.

However, a lot of his answers and statements seemed like more obvious common sense stuff that most would know about. A few examples (there were many) of that would be Stutzle wants to make a difference every shift and gets frustrated when that doesn’t happen, team can play well even against contenders, etc. Again, I’m not expecting more than that and that he’d discuss contracts or things like that to use another extreme example of something that you wouldn’t expect.

After listening to this interview, I think the most specific thing he said of note was that he didn’t believe there would be any buyouts.
Sounds like we need to add a sports psychologist to help the younger players like Stutzle and Tkatchuk to control their emotions.

Reactions: Samboni

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I want to see positive changes such as hiring an experienced and successful GM and coaching staff. Plus sign a UFA player to fill the voids (big tough RD). Spend the $$$ to get it done.
Successful coaches can sometimes be available due to the nature of the job. GMs who are “successful” are also “unsuccessful” if they are available since there is no shelf life on GMs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Staios could have identified some facts about team performance in 2023-24. He could have identified high level stats such as the team did not play well this season as it finished the season at 26th in the league, did not make the playoffs, was 20th in the league at 3.05 GF/GP, 28th in GA/GP, 24th on the PP, 29th on the PK, and 20th on SA/GP. He could have said that there is a lot of work to be done to improve team performance next season and his job is to make the changes necessary to accomplish that. He could have said that part of that improvement will hopefully come from hiring a new coaching staff with a focus on team defensive play and adding some players who can play a solid 200 foot game, particularly when defending without the puck.

Like you said, he said virtually nothing about the problems with this team and what he wants to do.

I would like to know what his objectives are for next season in terms of team performance. Hopefully that will come during the off season. :)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sounds like we need to add a sports psychologist to help the younger players like Stutzle and Tkatchuk to control their emotions.
They had Dr. Chantal Lussier for a long time, not sure if she is still there.

Currently they have Matt Nichol as the team’s Director of Player Heath and Performance, so possibly a hiring coming from him, if they don’t still have one.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad