Confirmed with Link: Update: 9/15 | Capitals Relieve Todd Reirden of Coaching Duties | Hire Laviolette as new HC

Who do you want to be the next coach of the Washington Capitals?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
So, does anyone here listen to Nick Kypreos’ podcast?

On his last episode they were talking about coaching decisions and he mentioned the Caps had reached out to Babcock before the pause for the pandemic. Apparently they were prepared to fire Reirden at that time and replace him with Babcock if they could make it work. I guess the other options are making them evaluate again.

TheLegendOfPatPeake

Jun 12, 2020
Washington D.C.
Was that said on the podcast, or are you saying it looks that way based on what was said?
https://t.co/Y5Z08Gefbh?amp=1

Starts at 1:05:00

giphy.gif

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
We've interviewed Gallant as well. So Laviolette, Babcock, and Gallant all interviewed. We'll see who they pick.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Babcock being interviewed is not all over the news because he's a favourite, but because he's such a controversial figure these days. Not to mention that he is a former Leafs coach. I think it just makes sense to give him an interview because he has a long resume but i still don't think he gets the job over Laviolette or Gallant. Although with Gallant he may want more control which might end up being a problem. But even then they would most likely pick Laviolette. Or someone other than Babcock.

Reactions: Red Dread

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's starting to look like TR was in over his head and couldn't handle the room. That might have been the reason for the Babcock interview.

The quick trigger on TR came as a surprise and it seems there's been a lot going on behind the scenes. Nothing would completely surprise me at this point, but I think Lavi splits the difference between Babcock and Gallant so that's probably the safest bet if you're trying to predict.

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
f*** babcock
I second this.
Babcock being interviewed is not all over the news because he's a favourite, but because he's such a controversial figure these days. Not to mention that he is a former Leafs coach. I think it just makes sense to give him an interview because he has a long resume but i still don't think he gets the job over Laviolette or Gallant. Although with Gallant he may want more control which might end up being a problem. But even then they would most likely pick Laviolette. Or someone other than Babcock.
My vote is still for Gallant. With that being said, I actually think it’s a good learning exercise to interview a bunch of coaches (especially elite coaches) and see what you can learn from their analysis, vision, and any emerging patterns in how they view the Capitals’ roster, systems, coaches, culture, etc. I would not personally consider Babcock, but I would glean him for information. I have no idea what the Capitals’ actual intent is though. We shall see.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Im down for a redemption tour with Babcock. He likes to play vets so Ovie would have a better chance of catching Gretz. Only downside is Wilson would get demoted and eventually traded. Wilson is the most anti babcock type player out there.

While his handling of Marner was a joke, he was correct in pointing out Marners lack of giving a crap. Toronto has a rot that shouldn't entirely be placed on Babs shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad