UPDATE 3/31- NEWSDAY - Coliseum gets $6M for renovation to host Isles

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
According to the Pollstar 2017 midyear arena rankings (does not count sports events), Barclays is #1 in the US, MSG is #2, and Prudential is #4. Those are good for #9, #13 and #18 in the world respectively.

That won't stop many posters from ignoring facts and simply looking at a map to draw the silly conclusion that there are too many in the area. The vast NYC metro could easily, easily support another arena. However, I do wonder can the Island in particular support renovated NVMC and this proposed new one?

But remember the Meadowlands had to shut down because it couldn't survive the competition with Prudential. So maybe 3 is the optimal number. Also when did NVMC reopen? Does the time period in those rankings include that?

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Belmont Park development would greatly impact village: Floral Park mayor - The Island Now

;By Rebecca Klar
-
December 6, 2017

Development at Belmont Park would affect everything the Village of Floral Park does, Mayor Dominick Longobardi said at Tuesday’s board meeting.
Longobardi and Deputy Mayor Kevin Fitzgerald attended a meeting on Nov. 28 with the Empire State Development Corp. where development plans were discussed, Fitzgerald said...

There will be a public meeting on 4:30 p.m. on Sunday at Elmont High School, hosted by state Sens. Elaine Phillips, Todd Kaminsky and Leroy Comrie...

Fitzgerald said the board has reached out to the Islanders only to be informed that the team owners cannot speak to village officials while the application is pending.
“We are asking them once again to meet with us so they can listen directly to our concerns on how an arena can have significant adverse effects on the daily lives of our residents of Floral Park,” Fitzgerald said...'

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Belmont Park development would greatly impact village: Floral Park mayor - The Island Now

;By Rebecca Klar
-
December 6, 2017

Development at Belmont Park would affect everything the Village of Floral Park does, Mayor Dominick Longobardi said at Tuesday’s board meeting.
Longobardi and Deputy Mayor Kevin Fitzgerald attended a meeting on Nov. 28 with the Empire State Development Corp. where development plans were discussed, Fitzgerald said...

There will be a public meeting on 4:30 p.m. on Sunday at Elmont High School, hosted by state Sens. Elaine Phillips, Todd Kaminsky and Leroy Comrie...

Fitzgerald said the board has reached out to the Islanders only to be informed that the team owners cannot speak to village officials while the application is pending.
“We are asking them once again to meet with us so they can listen directly to our concerns on how an arena can have significant adverse effects on the daily lives of our residents of Floral Park,” Fitzgerald said...'

Longobardi and Fitzgerald with their hands out looking for that payoff.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
But remember the Meadowlands had to shut down because it couldn't survive the competition with Prudential. So maybe 3 is the optimal number. Also when did NVMC reopen? Does the time period in those rankings include that?
Closing was a little more complicated than that. It was being run by the state rather than a competent arena management company such as AEG or OVG, so it was behind the eight ball as far a bookings go. Plus, Prudential paid the state $2M to close it, so they went for the cash in hand.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

NVMC was closed for half of that time. NVMC was ahead of United Center in Chicago with only half the events/time to sell. Also, if NVMC is closed because the Belmont Arena trounces it in terms of sales/events/etc, why should the Islanders care?

The Meadowlands wasn't shut down due to lack of bookings. In fact, despite being closed, it still has a backlog of bookings ongoing: Major musical acts have been using it to rehearse upcoming tour dates

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
New York Islanders, NYFCF Competing To Call Belmont Park Home

'December 7, 2017 at 7:05 pm

ELMONT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork)

Either way, a massive development is coming to the Nassau-Queens border after years of debate.

Details of the two bids to redevelop the 40 acres surrounding Belmont Racetrack are under wraps. They’ll be unveiled Sunday.
But CBS2 has learned the Islanders teamed up with Madison Square Garden and the New York Mets to propose an 18,000 seat arena. On the north side of Hempstead Turnpike, there would be a hotel and shopping village; on the south side, a community center and park.

The New York City Football Club’s proposal includes a 26,000 seat soccer stadium on the north side and a community center to the south.

Both plans include major upgrades to Belmont’s LIRR station. But some locals aren’t rooting for either bid...'

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
According to the Pollstar 2017 midyear arena rankings (does not count sports events), Barclays is #1 in the US, MSG is #2, and Prudential is #4. Those are good for #9, #13 and #18 in the world respectively.

That won't stop many posters from ignoring facts and simply looking at a map to draw the silly conclusion that there are too many in the area. The vast NYC metro could easily, easily support another arena. However, I do wonder can the Island in particular support renovated NVMC and this proposed new one?
Exactly. Anyone who says the NY Metro area can't support another arena just doesn't understand the geography or TRAFFIC of this area. Most people from LI are not going to travel to Prudential Center for a concert or show, they will however travel to Belmont. Same for the people of Jersey not travelling to Nassau Coliseum or an arena in Belmont. The exception to the LI to NJ rule would be for the absolutely huge acts that can fill Giants Stadium.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
All this talk is so delusional...Belmont is a waste land pure and simple...it is the Gilligans island of long island....if the isles could not draw in Brooklyn with all the tourists/hipsters and millions of city folk how are you going to draw in Belmont? and how are you going to fill 320 calendar days of dates? Concerts? really...you already have concerts 8 miles east in the NVMC...this arena will never get built not gonna happen in a million years.
tourists in Brooklyn? I know a few hipsters, none of them like sports. They are struggling because their base of fans on LI does not want to take the train to Brooklyn on a regular basis. They have also not attracted enough of the people who live on LI, work in Manhattan and therefore could take the subway to the game after work and the LIRR home after the game. 8 miles east? Try driving from Belmont to Nassau Coliseum at 5:30 on a weeknight. Let me know how long it takes.

Reactions: Thrive

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
New York Islanders, NYFCF Competing To Call Belmont Park Home

'December 7, 2017 at 7:05 pm

ELMONT, N.Y. (CBSNewYork)

Either way, a massive development is coming to the Nassau-Queens border after years of debate.

Details of the two bids to redevelop the 40 acres surrounding Belmont Racetrack are under wraps. They’ll be unveiled Sunday.
But CBS2 has learned the Islanders teamed up with Madison Square Garden and the New York Mets to propose an 18,000 seat arena. On the north side of Hempstead Turnpike, there would be a hotel and shopping village; on the south side, a community center and park.

The New York City Football Club’s proposal includes a 26,000 seat soccer stadium on the north side and a community center to the south.

Both plans include major upgrades to Belmont’s LIRR station. But some locals aren’t rooting for either bid...'
shopping village? Why? Brick and mortar stores are on life-support. Besdies the fact, they can build the shopping village without an arena and vice versa. Are people going to go shopping at a shopping village before and/or after the game? Are people going to flock to this shopping village because it is near an arena? I seriously doubt it.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
surprisingly the NYCFC soccer club draws over 27k fans per game in the south Bronx of Yankee Stadium while the islanders are lucky to draw 9k on a weeknight in Brooklyn....possibly the RFP will go to the soccer club based on being able to make more money off of soccer fans...and I know this sounds crazy but it is definitely true they are way more soccer fans than hockey fans in NYC...should be interesting how this all goes down

KevFu

May 22, 2009
surprisingly the NYCFC soccer club draws over 27k fans per game in the south Bronx of Yankee Stadium while the islanders are lucky to draw 9k on a weeknight in Brooklyn....

Your schtick is old and weak.

"Lucky" to draw 9,000. 9,795 for a weeknight game against the Arizona Coyotes is their lowest crowd since moving to Barlcay's. Every other crowd is over 10,000. Almost every Islanders game has sold every hockey seat in the building. There's not higher attendance because who wants to pay to see half a rink? That won't be an issue in Belmont. It will be a hockey arena.

NYCFC does not draw over 27K fans per game. They drew 22,177 per game in year three. For their midweek game against Kansas City, they drew 19,353.

Your apples to apples comparison of midweek games in "non-specific venues" is only off by about 2000 Islanders fans and 8000 NYCFC fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive

KevFu

May 22, 2009
possibly the RFP will go to the soccer club based on being able to make more money off of soccer fans...and I know this sounds crazy but it is definitely true they are way more soccer fans than hockey fans in NYC...should be interesting how this all goes down

By the way, I am a City fan. Both NYCFC and Manchester City.

If City Football Group thought Belmont was the perfect place for them, the Islanders wouldn't stand a chance. City has an insane amount of money. So much money that it united ALL OF EUROPE to enact the Financial Fair Play rules.

City Football Group could buy Belmont Park, level the horsetrack, build a NYCFC campus like they have in Manchester. They wouldn't need an open RFP, they could just make them an offer Belmont couldn't refuse.

But City's been looking at other locations this whole time.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
shopping village? Why? Brick and mortar stores are on life-support. Besdies the fact, they can build the shopping village without an arena and vice versa. Are people going to go shopping at a shopping village before and/or after the game? Are people going to flock to this shopping village because it is near an arena? I seriously doubt it.

Eh, can't speak for the city, but we New Jerseyans flock to our malls and strip malls. Not sure where brick and mortar is dying, but it's not around here. When a chain does go under (Sports Authority most recently), it does not take long to fill the space with quality tenants. Would think this applies to most of the metro area. Enough people with enough money who like to go out now and again.

I'm bullish on the American Dream project nearing completion in the Meadowlands but that also has a huge entertainment component. The square footage is roughly 60% entertainment and 40% retail. I think that is the future and how retail will ultimately survive and thrive.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
Both NYCFC and the Islanders made official presentations today for Belmont. You can check out @jimbaumbach twitter for a good summary of the presentations.

I think the Islanders are going to win this one. This is really the Islanders only option. They aren't moving to the city, and they aren't going back to the Coliseum. IMO this is a perfect place for them.

NYCFC on the other hand, this is not their #1 location. It seems to be more of a "back up" option for them.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Eh, can't speak for the city, but we New Jerseyans flock to our malls and strip malls. Not sure where brick and mortar is dying, but it's not around here. When a chain does go under (Sports Authority most recently), it does not take long to fill the space with quality tenants. Would think this applies to most of the metro area. Enough people with enough money who like to go out now and again.

I'm bullish on the American Dream project nearing completion in the Meadowlands but that also has a huge entertainment component. The square footage is roughly 60% entertainment and 40% retail. I think that is the future and how retail will ultimately survive and thrive.
You mean the old Brendan Byrne and indoor ski slope? I find it hard to believe people are going to flock to that place.

Brick and mortar stores are a dying breed because internet shopping is only growing. For better or worse, Amazon is taking over the retail world.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Competing plans for Belmont Park unveiled

Details on competing Belmont Park redevelopment proposals by the New York Islanders and by the New York City FC soccer team were released Sunday.The plans were released during a public hearing at Elmont Memorial High School.

Local elected officials listened to each group's outline of their proposals, which were submitted to Empire State Development. They say both proposals offered benefits to the community.

The group for the Islanders say their plans include a multipurpose event center, retail space, a 250-room hotel, community space, and a computer skills training site. They believe the site will create close to 2000 full-time equivlant permanent jobs.

The group for the NYC FC soccer teams says their plans include a 26,0000 seat stadium, a pedestrian bridge, retail space, a community park and space for a community soccer program.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Isles got this -- new arena -- JT resigns-- and then Cup... I see it all happening....

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Both NYCFC and the Islanders made official presentations today for Belmont. You can check out @jimbaumbach twitter for a good summary of the presentations.

I think the Islanders are going to win this one. This is really the Islanders only option. They aren't moving to the city, and they aren't going back to the Coliseum. IMO this is a perfect place for them.

NYCFC on the other hand, this is not their #1 location. It seems to be more of a "back up" option for them.

I think Yankee Stadium is fine for them as long as they need. Also, is there any possibility of sharing with the Red Bulls?

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Supposing this actually happens, would the Islanders play in MSG while the arena is being built? What is the incentive for Barclays to give them a temporary lease either in Brooklyn or in the NVMC?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Supposing this actually happens, would the Islanders play in MSG while the arena is being built? What is the incentive for Barclays to give them a temporary lease either in Brooklyn or in the NVMC?
The incentive for Barclays to give the Isles a short term lease is without the Isles they will have 2 venues with dates to fill.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
By the way, I am a City fan. Both NYCFC and Manchester City.

If City Football Group thought Belmont was the perfect place for them, the Islanders wouldn't stand a chance. City has an insane amount of money. So much money that it united ALL OF EUROPE to enact the Financial Fair Play rules.

City Football Group could buy Belmont Park, level the horsetrack, build a NYCFC campus like they have in Manchester. They wouldn't need an open RFP, they could just make them an offer Belmont couldn't refuse.

But City's been looking at other locations this whole time.

Really begs the question: where IS City looking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad