Oct 31, 2011
Defense: UFA
Diaz
Murray
Markov
Emelin
Boullion
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Out of the following, I like to bring back Emelin pending on his health.
That means we only have Subban, Gorges, Emelin as regulars. We need to build a tougher defense group. Add Dan Girardi, Dennis Seidenberg and bring up Jarrod Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, we should have a solid group of veteran and youth.

Subban(6.5mil)-Gorges(3.9mil)
Seidenberg(4.5mil)-Girardi(5mil)
Tinordi(1.08mil)-Emelin(3mil)
Beaulieu(1.2mil)

$25.18 million invested on defense

On forward: UFA
Gionta
Parros

I don't see us bringing Gionta back next year and Parros is a dime a dozen. I like to target Tomas Vanek. Vanek is like Hossa in Chicago. He will probably cost us $7 mil. Finally give Plekanec a real first line player to play with. I like to us to add some size but we are stuck with Briere and Desharnais.

Bourque(3.3mil)-Plekanec(5mil)-Vanek(7mil)
Pacioretty(4.5mil)-Desharnais(3.5mil)-Briere(4mil)
Galchenyuk(3.2mil)-Eller(3mil)-Gallagher(870k)
Prust(2.5mil)-Bournival(870k)-Moen(1.5mil)
White(700k)

$39.94 million invested on forwards

Price(6.5mil)
Budaj(1.4mil)

$7.9 mil in goal.

$7.9+39.94+25.18=73 mil cap (assuming that the cap will be $74 mil)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Diaz
Murray
Markov
Emelin
Boullion
That means we only have Subban, Gorges, Emelin as regulars. We need to build a tougher defense group. Add Dan Girardi, Dennis Seidenberg and bring up Jarrod Tinordi and Nathan Beaulieu, we should have a solid group of veteran and youth.

Beaulieu(1.2mil)

Gionta
Parros

I don't see us bringing Gionta back next year and Parros is a dime a dozen. I like to target Tomas Vanek. Vanek is like Hossa in Chicago. He will probably cost us $7 mil. Finally give Plekanec a real first line player to play with. I like to us to add some size but we are stuck with Briere and Desharnais.

White(700k)

Price(6.5mil)
Budaj(1.4mil)

$7.9 mil in goal.

It's way too early to assume anybody will hit the UFA market. Like 2/3 the potential UFA's at midseason(I mean the good players playing regularly) end up signing extensions. Not only that but to assume we could get both Seidenberg Vanek and Girardi all at once is insane. If they were to hit the market, those 3 would probably be 3 of the top 4-5 UFA's overall.

Plus you are assuming the cap goes up 10 mil...big assumption...and if it happened then UFA's like those would end up overpaid...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Subban should get around 7 mil cap hit, but he will be a RFA next summer, not UFA. That helps the Habs a bit.

Habs opted to play hardball with PK last season, now they will have to pay up.
How much PK gets will really depend on how much he wants. He's earned it.
If they play hardball again, he will go to arbitration where he will be given every dime he wants (maybe even more).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Diaz
Murray
Markov
Emelin
Boullion

Beaulieu(1.2mil)

Gionta
Parros

White(700k)

Price(6.5mil)
Budaj(1.4mil)

$7.9 mil in goal.

Your numbers are completely off.
First off, the cap won't go up by 10M.
Second, PK will likely make more. If not, we're very lucky.
Third, Girardi will make a lot more than 5M.
Fourth, Seidenberg will hit more than 4.5M.
Fifth, Vanek already makes 7.1M, he'll get more than that on open market.

Girardi and Vanek are definitely two players I would target, we'll see if they become free agents.

But I would look to re-sign Markov, and move Gorges, if we do land a Girardi.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Habs opted to play hardball with PK last season, now they will have to pay up.
How much PK gets will really depend on how much he wants. He's earned it.
If they play hardball again, he will go to arbitration where he will be given every dime he wants (maybe even more).

He's still just an RFA, he can't just sign a blank cheque.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's still just an RFA, he can't just sign a blank cheque.

He has arbitration rights. So if they can't find an agreement, he'll go through that route and I don't see why he would not be valued at 7M+. If that's too much for the Habs well, they can trade him or he'll become an UFA.

So yes, he doesn't have the liberty the UFA has, but he does have leverage with arbitration.

In any event, last year was the time to twist pennies out of PK. That's when you could have gotten away with having him for a couple of millions under the cap for multiple years.
Now the kid won a Norris, and I think he will have yet another solid season where he'll improve furthermore, and grow as a leader. Lock him up long term for as much as he wants. You can't be world's apart again like last year, and I really don't think getting into another dispute with him would benefit us.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He has arbitration rights. So if they can't find an agreement, he'll go through that route and I don't see why he would not be valued at 7M+. If that's too much for the Habs well, they can trade him or he'll become an UFA.

So yes, he doesn't have the liberty the UFA has, but he does have leverage with arbitration.

In any event, last year was the time to twist pennies out of PK. That's when you could have gotten away with having him for a couple of millions under the cap for multiple years.
Now the kid won a Norris, and I think he will have yet another solid season where he'll improve furthermore, and grow as a leader. Lock him up long term for as much as he wants. You can't be world's apart again like last year, and I really don't think getting into another dispute with him would benefit us.

He's still better off to sign a 7 or 8 year 7 mil/year deal than get 1 year and 7.5 mil in arbitration. He would have been getting around 7 mil cap hit regardless of how negotiations went last year. I think the big benefit was himility and falling in line with the team, if you give him a boatload of money, not sure he progresses like he did last year.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Briere

Bourque - Plekanec - Gallagher

Desharnais - Eller - XXXXXX

Prust - Bournival - XXXXXX

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
subban for 6.5 mil? gl with that
hes gonna be in the 7.5 range

and Seidenberg(4.5mil)-Girardi(5mil) is redundant if u plan on having beaulieu in the lu, pair either one of them with tinordi and use beaulieu w/ emelin. no point in having beaulieu as ur 7th D
this d-core also lacks a strong puck moving PP QB to play w/ subban, need to find someone to replace markov or i fear our PP is going to go to ****. beaulieu might eventually fill that role down the road

Last edited:

bjac

Jan 16, 2006
Subban signing for a cap hit of 6.5 million isn't nearly as far fetched as people think. Pietrangelo signed his deal this year for a annual 6.5 million cap hit. Subban and Pietrangelo are on the same level IMO. They should get similar contracts all things considered.

I personally think Subbans cap hit is around 7 million but I wouldn't be surprised if its less.

KingHab

Apr 8, 2012
Why does everyone think we can land Giardi through FA? Why would he sign with the Canadians

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's still better off to sign a 7 or 8 year 7 mil/year deal than get 1 year and 7.5 mil in arbitration. He would have been getting around 7 mil cap hit regardless of how negotiations went last year. I think the big benefit was himility and falling in line with the team, if you give him a boatload of money, not sure he progresses like he did last year.

It's been discussed ad nauseam.
Nobody knows how much he would have signed for had negotiations went different last year. Nobody. We don't even know how much he'll sign for next summer. Maybe it's the same, maybe it's less, maybe it's more. So many factors can change the outcome of a contract.
As for humility, falling in line with the team and maybe not progress the same way, that's all a big bowl of crap.
You're questioning his character by saying those things and that's arguably his strongest asset. And if you think he's that type of player, to halt progress at the first sign of financial security, which is a personality flaw, then he'll be doing just that after his next contract.
Furthermore, you have nothing to base this speculative opinion on. Saying it happened to other players, that are different persons with different characters, personalities and upbringings, is completely irrelevant as they are not PK Subban.

It's all speculative and based on absolutely nothing.

What we do know is that he got lowballed, signed a deal that's much lower than his value was, he won the Norris and I expect him to remain part of the top 3 Dman in the NHL. So ya, it doesn't matter if he's a RFA. Other RFAs before have signed killer deals.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's been discussed ad nauseam.
Nobody knows how much he would have signed for had negotiations went different last year. Nobody. We don't even know how much he'll sign for next summer. Maybe it's the same, maybe it's less, maybe it's more. So many factors can change the outcome of a contract.
As for humility, falling in line with the team and maybe not progress the same way, that's all a big bowl of crap.
You're questioning his character by saying those things and that's arguably his strongest asset. And if you think he's that type of player, to halt progress at the first sign of financial security, which is a personality flaw, then he'll be doing just that after his next contract.
Furthermore, you have nothing to base this speculative opinion on. Saying it happened to other players, that are different persons with different characters, personalities and upbringings, is completely irrelevant as they are not PK Subban.

It's all speculative and based on absolutely nothing.

What we do know is that he got lowballed, signed a deal that's much lower than his value was, he won the Norris and I expect him to remain part of the top 3 Dman in the NHL. So ya, it doesn't matter if he's a RFA. Other RFAs before have signed killer deals.

i do
http://www.capgeek.com/player/1755

hogtownhabsfan*

2014-2015 Habs

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Bournival
Bourque-Plekanec-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Briere
Prust-White-Parros

Tinordi-Subban (Tinordi's green, but I think he'll be ready for the test and will benefit from playing with PK)
Beaulieu-Emelin (these two should compliment each other well)
Gorges-RHD-PP (One can assume one of Diaz/Nygren/Pateryn/Ellis/Thrower/etc will be ready)

Price
Budaj

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
we should invest in top 6 players, not guys like Bourque and Desharnais and Briere is no longer a top 6 forward. If we want Galchenyuk and Gallagher to properly develop into stars, then we need stars to guide them like what Sakic and Forsberg did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad