Post-Game Talk: Unsatisfactory win?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Actually, I was around during those glorious times, and I remember the Oilers coming out and crushing teams in the first period or 2 and then coasting, allowing the opposition to get some premium chances and some goals. When you're scoring 4 hundred and some goals in a season, there was not a lot of mailing in. Different team, different times.

Yup. Absolutely no games mailed in, ever.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Lol just read this thread and could have sworn we lost.
My girlfriend (who doesn't follow hockey) thought we lost as the horn was going for the overtime winner because apparently I looked very upset. I got a nice comforting hug out of it.
In my opinion it was not a game that should have gotten to overtime and there was not much to be happy about.
I'll take the 2 points though. I just hate losing to the Canadiens and it felt like a moral loss lol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The search engine doesn't work for shit but it took me less than 3 minutes to find Ekholm being discussed in a trade thread dated back to Jan, 2023.

I'm not certain but I think there was a cloned poll. If I recall correctly the names being discussed were Gavrikov, Ekholm, Provorov and Chychrun.

I can remember this because I recall the order I placed the defencemen in.
And you wanted to trade Bouchard for any of them, probably still do

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Still, if you go back to 2019-2020 26.4% would be tied for the 7th best pp% amongst all teams. Only the Oilers (3 times) Toronto, Tampa and St. Louis (once each ) have been better. And yet it does seem like the pp has struggled.
We were spoiled last season.

This is more like what a “normal” good PP looks like.

Reactions: PULSATING

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yup. Absolutely no games mailed in, ever.

"No games mailed in ever" Your words, not mine. Dumb take. And that was one game. First game on a lengthy road trip without Gretzky, and played in the morning. A complete one off, everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Never said they never took any games off. Went on to win the next 8 games by scores of 7-4, 5-2, 7-3, 6-5, 9-2, 5-3, 8-3, and 6-5. Finished with 119 points, and a goal differential of a mind boggling 132. Scored an NHL record 446 goals. Again, when you’re scoring 400 plus goals chances are you’re beating up on teams more often than not. They had games where they didn't have their best and still beat the shit out of teams. That team went to the finals the year before. That team went on to win the cup that year. Again, different team, different time.

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I suspect most of the major crybabies on this board weren't around during the Oiler cups. If there were they would realize that the team back then would mail in 2 1/2 periods and then decide to win the game in the last 10 minutes. Last night was a non-playoff, non-division team. We are an older team already in, they are coasting and resting. Stop f***ing panicking.

That's what my parents are always telling me too.

Classic Oilers, win it in the 3rd.

Sorry if that makes you feel old.

Reactions: McDoused

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Lol those guys "hurr durr only in edmontin rite?"

It happens in pretty much every arena
Yeah. This one was minor and I’ve never seen a scrap in the stands in YEG and I’ve been to a lot of games and concerts.

The NFL has great fan scraps. It’s stupid shit but I like to watch video footage lol

Reactions: Oilhawks

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yeah. This one was minor and I’ve never seen a scrap in the stands in YEG and I’ve been to a lot of games and concerts.

The NFL has great fan scraps. It’s stupid shit but I like to watch video footage lol

Only time I saw a fan scrap at an Oilers game was in 2014 when a guy threw a jersey on the ice and got popped by a fan in row 5.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Yup, been to a lot of games and never saw anything like this. Saw a couple of close calls but no actual fights.

Reactions: Morpheus

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Only time I saw a fan scrap at an Oilers game was in 2014 when a guy threw a jersey on the ice and got popped by a fan in row 5.
I saw a fight at the dome during the oilers vs flames series.

Too bad I was the only one young enough with a phone

I suspect most of the major crybabies on this board weren't around during the Oiler cups. If there were they would realize that the team back then would mail in 2 1/2 periods and then decide to win the game in the last 10 minutes. Last night was a non-playoff, non-division team. We are an older team already in, they are coasting and resting. Stop f***ing panicking.
I'll pass the message along to my parents and ask why they waited so long to create greatness.

Just kidding, I never saw those cup runs, but I also know that great teams take nights off and it isnt exclusive to the Oilers.

Vegas lost back to back games to buffalo and columbus by a score of like 14-6, this place was in full meltdown mode after a single loss like that, yet crowns Vegas as a contender.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
My girlfriend (who doesn't follow hockey) thought we lost as the horn was going for the overtime winner because apparently I looked very upset. I got a nice comforting hug out of it.
In my opinion it was not a game that should have gotten to overtime and there was not much to be happy about.
I'll take the 2 points though. I just hate losing to the Canadiens and it felt like a moral loss lol
We won the game. Crazy to me that people actually sit around all moppy after wins because they didn’t win good enough.

Nice of your gf though. :nod:

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
As someone who used to work at Rexall place, it was super annoying when we played Montreal and Toronto in Edmonton. Sure some of the fans were respectful but their were also a lot that weren't. Like don't go into someone else's barn and start acting like you own the place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad