Unpopular opinion

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I guess we would have to know the return before we know if selling Matheson this offseason was a good idea.
I’m not against trading him, but I’m also not against keeping him.

If I'm a GM of a good team, I basically offer the Habs the value of a 2nd pair guy.

Unless a gm has lost the plot, you're not going to get top pair D type of value.

Reactions: Riggins

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You can't just trade everyone, you need some vets to fill out spots and help the young guys along. Matheson was a part of helping Suzuki and all reach career highs.

His value is higher to the Habs than someone else. He wouldn't even fetch a big trade return and I don't care about adding more late 1sts or non-premium picks. You saw how upset the kids were after Monahan was traded, you can't just keep stripping away the roster around these guys without repercussions.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Matheson takes way too much heat on here. Yes he makes the odd blunder but he also makes multiple great defensive plays every game, some of which very few dmen in the league can pull off.

He pisses me off at least once a game but he also astonishes me with great plays far more often and he does it all over the ice. Hating on Matheson is not an indicator of a strong understanding of the game nor does it indicate the ability to remain objective.

If I'm a GM of a good team, I basically offer the Habs the value of a 2nd pair guy.

Unless a gm has lost the plot, you're not going to get top pair D type of value.

Then you don't even remotely consider trading him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This. Most of the people who were on the "Keep Anderson" train are on the Matheson one. They never learn.

and the Gally one.
I respectfully disagree with the analogy. The reason is that Anderson never produced at a first line level for us.

Anderson at $5.5M never brought remotely close to the value Matheson brings at $4.875M.

With Anderson, the legitimate fear was that given that he ALREADY is arguably not worth his contract, any slippage will make his contract a real negative. Whereas with Matheson, his production could drop to 45 points and he would still be worth his contract. Then when you factor in that on average defencemen tend to decline later than forwards and the two of them are the same age, it only reinforces my take more.

I for one never put the three players in the same category. I was never in favour of the Gallagher contract, have made plenty of proposals for Anderson trades, and don't think we should prioritize moving Matheson.

I'm of the mind to collect strong players until we get 11. Matheson is one of them. Anderson and Gallagher were never in my hoped-for 11.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Matheson takes way too much heat on here. Yes he makes the odd blunder but he also makes multiple great defensive plays every game, some of which very few dmen in the league can pull off.

He pisses me off at least once a game but he also astonishes me with great plays far more often and he does it all over the ice. Hating on Matheson is not an indicator of a strong understanding of the game nor does it indicate the ability to remain objective.

Then you don't even remotely consider trading him.

When the time comes to move on from him, it will hopefully be because of the new guard that keeps pushing their way up.

I still see Matheson more as a bridge guy in the big picture. I don't see his prime aligning with the Habs peak (if the rebuild is indeed fruitful).

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
It's a nice problem to have. Lots of young D pushing for ice time and MM hitting career best numbers while on a great contract (4.875x2 remaining). I think he's a good match with MSL willingness to let him jump in to help produce offense. If opportunity knocks I have no issue with moving him for a nice return but would love to see him stick around for all of 2024-25 as his speed and offense make him fun to watch.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Timing is not right now, I guess. They want to be more competitive and that would require some vet presence in D. We are fine with LDs as Ghule, Xhekaj, Struble, Hutson, Harris all can play in NHL and distribute the minutes. Our issue lies on right side where none of Savard, Kovacevic or Barron is ready to play those big minutes. That is the reason why they keep Ghule on right. Rein and Mailloux both need one more year. For Matheson, maybe TDL or next summer move would be ideal.
But you never know, maybe they go creative and trade for someone like Ekblad (FLD need cap space).

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada
Thanks for proving my point, Actually, Matheson also makes me nervous when he handles the puck on the opposite zone. Even on the PP.

So if you could pick between MAB at any point in his career or Matheson of this past year to have on your team, you would opt for MAB? Really?

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I agree with OP.

Keeping a flawed D at his highest possible value is playing with the Josh Anderson fire.

That said, we do need to get appropriate value for him.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Two of our best prospects at defense are offensively oriented (Mailloux and Hutson). Ideally you don't want to bring them in the NHL with Matheson in the lineup. So i'd say ideally you want vets who are two ways or defensive like Savard. Don't be surprised if Matheson is traded after the summer of 2025.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
So if you could pick between MAB at any point in his career or Matheson of this past year to have on your team, you would opt for MAB? Really?
Never said that.

Said Matheson is just as bad defensively.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The ideal thing would be to trade Matheson for max value, and get a first pairing RD to play with Guhle.

I don't see Kent trading him though. Not after a career year anyway.

Reactions: Mrb1p

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They need Savard at least until trade deadline. Can't have Hutson paired with a green defenseman.
I would rather see a Kovacevic type Dman stay at home and play with Hutson, at a fraction of the cost as compared to Savard.
Savard's numbers other than shot blocks, just don't warrant his 3.5M at all in my eyes.

One thing for certain, there are probably 2 Dmen leaving in the offseason, and another at the trade deadline.................the kids are coming, and I don't think Matheson should be dealt quite yet, unless someone overpays, and HuGo jumps on it.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Two main reasons I don’t trade him

1. He’s a leader in the room. Great attitude, looks like a real pro. How many players do we have that are more dedicated than him? He wants to win with this team, a hometown guy who cares about the team. Invaluable IMO.

2. Looks fit and is still improving every year. Still has that youngster’s speed. I think he will still be good at 33-35 which gives us plenty of time…if alk our young D pan out and he feels redundant (especially with Hutson) we can trade him in 2026 or later.

He’s legitimately a great playmaker, his points are often coming from chances he’s generating both 5v5 and on the PP. very different situation compared to Anderson who was always limited offensively (needs linemates who do all the work in the ozone or a counterattack play to produce)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would rather see a Kovacevic type Dman stay at home and play with Hutson, at a fraction of the cost as compared to Savard.
Savard's numbers other than shot blocks, just don't warrant his 3.5M at all in my eyes.

One thing for certain, there are probably 2 Dmen leaving in the offseason, and another at the trade deadline.................the kids are coming, and I don't think Matheson should be dealt quite yet, unless someone overpays, and HuGo jumps on it.

3.5m is literally nothing with the cap rising and he's only here for the last year of his deal.

They'll probably just move Kovacevic and Harris this off-season, that removes part of the log jam without compromising the two veteran defenseman on an otherwise still green blueline.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know people will not like this but here it goes...

Buy low sell high, it works with money and it works with sports.

Huberdeau 115pts season? Traded to CGY... since then a 50pts player

Karlsson 101pts season? Traded to Pittsburgh now gets about 50pts

It works as well for pending aging UFA's coming off great seasons that team don't re-sign like our former Captain Pacioretty who never produced like he did with us with a new large contract he got...

Habs are loaded on the D with blue chip prospect. We are still 2-3 years of being a cup contender. Matheson is coming off a career year 62pts season at 30yrs old and signed at 2 more years at 4.8M$. Trading him in the off season would be the smart thing to do, he will likely be a 30-40 pts D for another year or two at best, we could get something good for him now. Agree? disagree?

Other unpopular opinions?

Imo, Matheson will actually look better with Hutson. It's like Suzuki will look better when Dach is playing big minutes behind him. When you have two good lines, it's hard for teams to shut you down.

We just need to build up that second line, and in turn the second pp, so both Hutson and Matheson get quality offensive forwards to play with 5 on 5 and on the pp.

I think the only way HuGo trade Matheson is if the can get a lottery pick to draft his long term replacement (Parekh?). But really, I think they wait. And we'll see how the landscape looks. If we trade him, we need to replace him with another offensive guy. Struble, Guhle, etc... aren't it. But maybe Engstrom will emerge. Or Reinbacher or Mailloux, or even Barron in a couple of years.

I'm all about the rebuild and the long term. But to be honest, I'm really looking forward to a blue line next year with Matheson on the top pair and Hutson on the second, in addition to having Suzuki and a healthy Dach as our top two centers.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Imo, Matheson will actually look better with Hutson. It's like Suzuki will look better when Dach is playing big minutes behind him. When you have two good lines, it's hard for teams to shut you down.

We just need to build up that second line, and in turn the second pp, so both Hutson and Matheson get quality offensive forwards to play with 5 on 5 and on the pp.

I think the only way HuGo trade Matheson is if the can get a lottery pick to draft his long term replacement (Parekh?). But really, I think they wait. And we'll see how the landscape looks. If we trade him, we need to replace him with another offensive guy. Struble, Guhle, etc... aren't it. But maybe Engstrom will emerge. Or Reinbacher or Mailloux, or even Barron in a couple of years.

I'm all about the rebuild and the long term. But to be honest, I'm really looking forward to a blue line next year with Matheson on the top pair and Hutson on the second, in addition to having Suzuki and a healthy Dach as our top two centers.
Matty and Hutson together would be the ultimate firestorm for this board. The amount of high risk plays and turnovers committed would give so many people heart attacks there wouldn't be enough cardiologists to deal with it :)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
They need Savard at least until trade deadline. Can't have Hutson paired with a green defenseman.

That D doesn't need to Savard though.

I think it more likely than not Savard isn't traded in the offseason, but I'd prefer a veteran RD that had a bit more mobility in that role (but with Savard's size and experience). Realistically though, the RD UFA market will have to get pretty expensive for Hughes' trade demands for Savard to be met. There are a lot of good veteran RD out there.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad