News Article: Unlikely American Hero: Hellebuyck

Puck Hawerchuck

Jan 8, 2014
St Vital
Hellebuyck led the WHC tournament in GAA and Save %. Named to all-star team. This guy is no fluke, he is the real deal and now the media know it. Perhaps he just forced the Jets hand to deal Pavelec.

White Out 403*

Hellebuyck led the WHC tournament in GAA and Save %. Named to all-star team. This guy is no fluke, he is the real deal and now the media know it. Perhaps he just forced the Jets hand to deal Pavelec.

One can dream.

Pavelec was the same age and had less on his resume at the time when he was anointed starter.

I'd be more comfortable with a hellebuyck hutch combo than Pavelec anything

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Hello Helle Helle

Buff, pavs, Burmistrov plus all Jets 2015 draft pick to Edmonton for 1st overall

let's do it!

Anyways, a good team can look really bad with a bad goalie
A bad team can be a good team with a good goalie and a great team with an elite goalie.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Hellebuyck performed exactly as expected. Calm, cool in net and took away the bottom of the net so well, as he always does.

As advertised, he doesn't leave the shooter much room at all. Always square.
Quick reflexes to boot!

I'm no goalie expert, so I'll ask this...Does Hellebuyck go down earlier and stay down longer than the average goalie? To me, it seems as if there's ever ANY room to beat him, it may be top corner, over top his shoulder.

Easier said than done, but I'm wondering if the NHL snipers will try to exploit that? Or maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited about his play as everyone, just wondering if there are ANY holes in his game, and if not, how could there be any chance that he wouldn't be leading this team next year? he's faced some of the best players in the world, and excelled!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hellebuyck performed exactly as expected. Calm, cool in net and took away the bottom of the net so well, as he always does.

As advertised, he doesn't leave the shooter much room at all. Always square.
Quick reflexes to boot!

I'm no goalie expert, so I'll ask this...Does Hellebuyck go down earlier and stay down longer than the average goalie? To me, it seems as if there's ever ANY room to beat him, it may be top corner, over top his shoulder.

Easier said than done, but I'm wondering if the NHL snipers will try to exploit that? Or maybe I'm just seeing things that aren't there?

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as excited about his play as everyone, just wondering if there are ANY holes in his game, and if not, how could there be any chance that he wouldn't be leading this team next year? he's faced some of the best players in the world, and excelled!

He doesn't go down earlier than other tall goalies who play the position like a tall goalie should. He does, however, go down when he's screened to the point of not being able to see if a shot is even fired. This is probably to avoid having the shot go through him. He seems very comfortable moving around on the ice without standing up, but that's only natural considering how much of the net he protects while in a butterfly position.

He needs to work on certain areas, but there are no glaring holes in his game, and he's extremely refined for such a young goalie. His technical game is impeccable. The reason why he saves so many tipped shots isn't just that he has good reflexes, but also because he's ridiculously square to almost every shot, so there is always a very good chance that a shot will hit him.

His glove and blocker aren't perfect, especially high, his reads, while very good, can always improve, he should work on his agility (already very good for such a big goalie) and sometimes his rebound control leaves a bit to be desired.

It should be noted, however, that these things aren't in any way glaring holes, just things that he should improve to be a top notch goalie in the NHL as well. His technical game is already better than a fair amount of NHL goaltenders.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
The reason why he saves so many tipped shots isn't just that he has good reflexes, but also because he's ridiculously square to almost every shot, so there is always a very good chance that a shot will hit him.

Yes, exactly. Some goalies (I won't mention any names) seem to make more "saves", while the puck just hits Hellebuyck so often. You don't always see Hellebuyck diving across the net to rob someone, he's just always in front of the puck, and it hits him.

But unfortunately, many people seem to remember the spectacular saves much more than the boring saves and that fact alone seems to translate into careers for some goalies.

I'll take great and boring over inconsistent and entertaining all day long.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck of the St. Johns IceCaps made 39 saves for the shutout.

“He’s our best player,†New York Islanders forward Brock Nelson said. “He’s the reason why we’re here, why we’re able to win the medal. He shut the door numerous times.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...take-bronze-at-hockey-worlds/article24469562/

I can honestly see Hellebuyck leading the USA to a Medal at the 2018 Olympics, if he continues to progress like he has don in the last four years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad