News Article: Unlikely American Hero: Hellebuyck

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Little doubt for me that he'll be our starting goaltender in the future..Just a matter of waiting..

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
http://thehockeywriters.com/unlikely-american-hero-connor-hellebuyck/

Nice article. I would say , and without being a homer, that Connor has reached blue chip status as a goaltender prospect. Fair?

He's been a 'blue chip' prospect for some time now. Key word is prospect.

Nice article but this whole section is a little nutty:
"What Does it Mean for Winnipeg Jets fans?

Hellebuyck’s performance could further muddle an already murky situation in Winnipeg. Ondrej Pavelec and Michael Hutchinson split time in net after inconsistent play. There are some that want the team to sell high on Hutchinson and allow Connor Hellebuyck to fight it out for the top spot in between the pipes.

Pavelec managed to earn back the starting spot, but he’s been shaky at times. His play in the postseason has silenced his critics for now. However, could Hellebuyck be the Jets’ goalie of the future? That’s hard to say, but it’s nice to have another option in case either goalie slips up in the 2015-16 season.

Hellebuyck is projected to start the team in the American Hockey League, but things could change in the offseason. Maybe Hellebuyck will be part of a deal that will bring some defense or a scoring winger to the MTS Centre."

Sell high on Hutchinson? Besides the fact that goalies aren't worth much on the trade market is he kidding?

Pavs play in the postseason silenced his critics? Hardly! It reaffirmed what they (we) had always known, that Pav is not an NHL starter.

Hellebuyck might be dealt? OK, now he has gone too far. Them's fightin words!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
THW...

Sell high on Hutchinson. Imagine, we might get a third round pick and a career AHL player from a desperate team!

White Out 403*

Ya, snerd, I was also shocked by the post season comment. How a. 890 save percentage was supposed to silence any critic is beyond me. Bad part of the article for sure

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ya, snerd, I was also shocked by the post season comment. How a. 890 save percentage was supposed to silence any critic is beyond me. Bad part of the article for sure

Showed a little ignorance of the Jets but otherwise a good article.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
THW...

Sell high on Hutchinson. Imagine, we might get a third round pick and a career AHL player from a desperate team!

Young goalies are crap shoot...best strategy is to keep a bunch around and hope to strike gold

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
THW...

I would wait until Hutchinson's contract has expired at the end of next year. We will have a better idea where we stand, for the goaltending situation. It is just as likely that Hutch bounces back, and becomes a 0.920% goalie again. Hellebuyck is still an unknown variable, in the NHL. Pavelec may be the odd man out, considering his last year of his contract is for $4.5 million.

Having said that, I can't wait to see Hellebuyck in the big league.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
THW...

I would be very wary of moving Hutch. His technicals are just too damn good, and Im convinced he still becomes a big time NHL goalie. I think he's on two way deal isnt he? So we've got a spot for him....if need be.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
He's been a 'blue chip' prospect for some time now. Key word is prospect.

Nice article but this whole section is a little nutty:
"What Does it Mean for Winnipeg Jets fans?

Hellebuyck’s performance could further muddle an already murky situation in Winnipeg. Ondrej Pavelec and Michael Hutchinson split time in net after inconsistent play. There are some that want the team to sell high on Hutchinson and allow Connor Hellebuyck to fight it out for the top spot in between the pipes.

Pavelec managed to earn back the starting spot, but he’s been shaky at times. His play in the postseason has silenced his critics for now. However, could Hellebuyck be the Jets’ goalie of the future? That’s hard to say, but it’s nice to have another option in case either goalie slips up in the 2015-16 season.

Hellebuyck is projected to start the team in the American Hockey League, but things could change in the offseason. Maybe Hellebuyck will be part of a deal that will bring some defense or a scoring winger to the MTS Centre."

Weird article.

First off, Pavelec didn't silence his critics in the playoffs. He was ok, not great. He certainly did not steal any games for us. Why would they deal Hutch? The market for goalies is saturated at the moment, and we would be lucky to get a 2nd round draft pick for him. Then the author suggests dealing Hellebuyck, when he has not even turned 22, and could be the franchise goalie.

Personally, I would be patient and wait. I think this situation will play itself out in 2015-16.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Weird article.

First off, Pavelec didn't silence his critics in the playoffs. He was ok, not great. He certainly did not steal any games for us. Why would they deal Hutch? The market for goalies is saturated at the moment, and we would be lucky to get a 2nd round draft pick for him. Then the author suggests dealing Hellebuyck, when he has not even turned 22, and could be the franchise goalie.

Personally, I would be patient and wait. I think this situation will play itself out in 2015-16.

Ya, for sure. I think we develop both of these guys and get forced into a situation where we've got two great starting goaltenders and need to deal one. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldnt even have a problem going Hutch/Hell next year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would be very wary of moving Hutch. His technicals are just too damn good, and Im convinced he still becomes a big time NHL goalie. I think he's on two way deal isnt he? So we've got a spot for him....if need be.

2 way this year. 1 way next year. Small $$$, could easily stand paying him that in the A. Less than half what we paid Budaj last year to be a bad backup.

Pav is still in the way.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Weird article.

Worse than that. If he was a proven backup we would be lucky to get a 3rd for him. As unproven as he is we might get a 4th. Ridiculous idea. And just no way in **** we trade Helle. Also unproven but very promising and Vezina trophy upside.

Ya, for sure. I think we develop both of these guys and get forced into a situation where we've got two great starting goaltenders and need to deal one. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldnt even have a problem going Hutch/Hell next year.

Not crazy sounding, just highly unlikely. Chevy will probably be conservative and Pav is still blocking.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
All this talk that Hellebuyck hasn't proven anything yet and he's still liable to be a bust just tires me to no end.

Anyone can be a bust but you don't set all time NCAA records held by Dryden and then put the entire Ice Dogs team on your shoulders all year and still post one of the top save % in the AHL if you're not good.

He'll be a dang good, possibly elite NHL goalie, I'm 100% confident.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
All this talk that Hellebuyck hasn't proven anything yet and he's still liable to be a bust just tires me to no end.

Anyone can be a bust but you don't set all time NCAA records held by Dryden and then put the entire Ice Dogs team on your shoulders all year and still post one of the top save % in the AHL if you're not good.

He'll be a dang good, possibly elite NHL goalie, I'm 100% confident.

Ok, it looks like you know something that we don't.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Young goalies are crap shoot...best strategy is to keep a bunch around and hope to strike gold

No doubt, remember the last ''sure bet'' US netminder, Jack Campbell! Not saying he is that but, I've seen a lot of cant miss next big thing in goaltending guys falter in the NHL and languish in the minors, not saying that's Helly (hope not) but he doesn't need to be rushed.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
No doubt, remember the last ''sure bet'' US netminder, Jack Campbell! Not saying he is that but, I've seen a lot of cant miss next big thing in goaltending guys falter in the NHL and languish in the minors, not saying that's Helly (hope not) but he doesn't need to be rushed.

Nice try, but Jack Campbell does not compare in any way with Hellebuyck. He had a .892 save % over several years in the OHL and a multiyear .917 in the AHL.

Hellebuyck set an all time save % record in the NCAA (just under .950) and backstopped an atrociously poor Ice Dogs team in the AHL with a .921 save % in his rookie year.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Hellebuyck will be 22 this month. Being rushed is putting him in net after the lockout ended. He is as ready as he will ever be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad