Union College

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Anyone ticked off about the name and logo change from Union Dutchmen to the Garnet Chargers? I am not thrilled with them dumping their traditional name and identity. I think they caved to woke nonsense personally. The new name Chargers isn't terrible at least. As far as the new arena goes we are waiting impatiently. Public money has already been committed and the Galesi Group is known to get things done so not sure what the hold up is. The arena at Mohawk Harbor (hopefully the name doesn't offend the sensitive folks at the school) is going to be a great project and boost for Schenectady NY. It's about time that city gets an adequate sports and entertainment venue for The Boulevard.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Anyone ticked off about the name and logo change from Union Dutchmen to the Garnet Chargers? I am not thrilled with them dumping their traditional name and identity. I think they caved to woke nonsense personally. The new name Chargers isn't terrible at least. As far as the new arena goes we are waiting impatiently. Public money has already been committed and the Galesi Group is known to get things done so not sure what the hold up is. The arena at Mohawk Harbor (hopefully the name doesn't offend the sensitive folks at the school) is going to be a great project and boost for Schenectady NY. It's about time that city gets an adequate sports and entertainment venue for The Boulevard.

You can't spell "sucks" without 'uc'!

The decision was all about marketing. It has nothing to do with "wokeness," which is just a term facists use to signal their opposition to something - usually something that requires critical thinking they're unwilling or unable to do.

Considering that it's called Mohawk Harbor because the city is on the Mohawk River, I don't think that the name will be changed "because of sensitive people at the school."

I don't think building an arena in downtown Schenectady is a good business move. They'll never be able to bring in enough revenue to pay off any bonds issued to pay for the construction. The city is dead. The whole Albany metro area is the single-worst minor league sports market in the country.

Union could easily raise the money to build their own arena, they're just smart enough to let the city raise the money and be on the hook for the costs and the losses.

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Ticked off? Hardly.

This renaming is not about wokeness or Diversity / Equity / Inclusion. It's about trying to find a better nickname than Dutchmen / Dutchwomen. With all due respect to the fine Dutch people, that name does not exactly roll off the tongue, nor does it inspire anyone.

That said, as a Marketing expert, I can say that "Garnet Chargers" is actually worse than "Dutchmen."

It's nonsensical because Garnet is not a word ANYONE uses to describe anything, and it's certainly not a word you would use to modify Charge. Union Chargers would have been better, and Union Garnet would have been better. "Union Garnet Chargers" is what you get when you assign a committee to create a brand.

Think about recent College rebranding ...
UND Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks (yes, hawks fight)
St John's from Redmen to Red Storm (Red is a word people use)
RMC Redmen to Paladins (a white knight)
McGill Redmen to Redbirds (not inspiring, but miles better than Garnetbirds would have been)
Miami Redskins to RedHawks

There is a long list of schools that rebranded from Indians or Redmen to something better .... and not one of those schools chose "Garnet"

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
This renaming is not about wokeness or Diversity / Equity / Inclusion. It's about trying to find a better nickname than Dutchmen / Dutchwomen. With all due respect to the fine Dutch people, that name does not exactly roll off the tongue, nor does it inspire anyone.

Yeah, but it's so much easier than doing critical thinking to just say something is "woke!"

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Not ticked off, but that does seem particularly dumb.

Off-topic, but a conference rival of my alma mater is Kenyon College, and they randomly changed their names from the Lords (and Ladies) to the Owls this past year. Just seems... weird?

Also, "Dutchmen" might not roll off the tongue, but it does compared to "Garnet Chargers."

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
Not ticked off, but that does seem particularly dumb.

Off-topic, but a conference rival of my alma mater is Kenyon College, and they randomly changed their names from the Lords (and Ladies) to the Owls this past year. Just seems... weird?

Also, "Dutchmen" might not roll off the tongue, but it does compared to "Garnet Chargers."

That one was not related to race, clearly. It appears that Kenyon College is currently a very progressive Liberal Arts college with a large LGBTQ+ community that did not consider "Lords" and "Ladies" inclusive. Read the articles yourself.

I can't say that Lords / Ladies was a great choice for a team name ... but I do find it fascinating that people argue that a bird is more representative of their identity than either of those terms.

Barely registers. Call yourselves whatever you want ... nobody is watching Kenyon College.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... That said, as a Marketing expert, I can say that "Garnet Chargers" is actually worse than "Dutchmen."

It's nonsensical because Garnet is not a word ANYONE uses to describe anything, and it's certainly not a word you would use to modify Charge. Union Chargers would have been better, and Union Garnet would have been better. "Union Garnet Chargers" is what you get when you assign a committee to create a brand.

Think about recent College rebranding ...
UND Fighting Sioux to Fighting Hawks (yes, hawks fight)
St John's from Redmen to Red Storm (Red is a word people use)
RMC Redmen to Paladins (a white knight)
McGill Redmen to Redbirds (not inspiring, but miles better than Garnetbirds would have been)
Miami Redskins to RedHawks

There is a long list of schools that rebranded from Indians or Redmen to something better .... and not one of those schools chose "Garnet"
Maybe the College studied their market, and discovered there were a large number of people born in January who might be inclined to support the athletic teams if the new name reflected the birthstone of the targeted demographic. Or maybe the study identified a particularly wealthy segment of the regional population who are prone to believe that garnet has both healing & protective powers. Or maybe somebody on the naming committee thought "Red" was overused in sports, and "Ruby" was too pedestrian, so "Garnet" was their next natural color choice. It's certainly more tolerable than "Pomegranate Chargers" would've been.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Why is it that "woke" or "woke nonsense" is typically just code for "I don't like this and I want to complain?

Can you actually define woke?

That said, I feel like the name is a little uninspired but you're just going to get that when a name changes. No one is ever going to really be like, "WHOA, I FEEL SO MUCH MORE INSPIRED NOW!"

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad