Undo one trade to fix a current problem with your team

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Go back in time, undo a trade, and address a team need.

For the Hawks, its the Leddy deal. We are sorely lacking in foot speed and skating ability on defense and, well, that's exactly what Leddy brings to the team.

(For purposes of the discussion, ignore the cap implications of your revisionist history)

back-to-the-future-facts.jpg

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
While relatively "minor," if the Leafs had Stralman.....damn, not a massive upgrade, as I'm sure Babs would probably sit Reilly to play Polak anyways, but if someone told Babcock it's either Polak or his son Zach and we had Stralman playing between the 3-5....we'd be well improved.

All that assumes that somehow with him everything stays constant, it'd also be awesome to see Kessel-Bozak-Marner as I feel Phil compliments Mitch far more than JVR.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Nino for Clutterbuck

I love Clutterbuck but he’s overpaid and his contract is too long for his role.

Grabner to the leafs could be another but there’s no guarantee we would have resigned him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Lots of options here:

Leddy + Johnsson for Barker... Suter/Spurgeon/Leddy/Brodin top 4D, possibly leads to us taking Forsberg over Dumba in 2012.

Burns for Setoguchi + Coyle + 1st... Knowing what Burns became, it would be hard to turn down a Suter/Burns top pair, but if we would've picked the right guy with the 28th pick (Rakell, Saad and Kucherov were on the board), then I'd probably keep it as is.

Scandella + Pominville for Foligno + Ennis... Cap savings trade, but both Foligno and Ennis have been underwhelming to say the least. Our success in prior years was from our d-corps and adding Scandella back would help that. Pominville would be a reliable vet for bottom 6 that has been in flux since the beginning.

I'll go with the Leddy deal.

Reactions: MNRube

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we could replace the trade with a signing it would be Clarkson by a bloody landslide.

Otherwise, Kessel trade. Right player, wrong time by Brian Burke.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Love the Phil but I'd redo the Kessel trade. Add Seguin and Hamilton to the Leafs roster and that's a really solid team.

Reactions: jklimmy

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Probably Sekera at the 2015 deadline. I feel like that trade, and the ultimate result of that season for the Kings, it didn't force Lombardi to do it, but I think it pushed him to make the Lucic deal. If the Kings make the playoffs in 2015, I don't know if he makes the deal for him at the 2015 draft.

Lombardi protected that 1st round pick in case the Kings missed the playoffs. If they did, Carolina gets the 2016 1st. Had they made the playoffs, Carolina would get the 2015 1st. It's just my theory, but since they missed the playoffs in 2015, and then had to give up the 2016 pick, in case the Kings also missed in 2016, you don't want to win the Matthews lottery with that pick, and not get to pick him. So you do what you can to make the postseason.

If they don't make the Sekera trade, they probably have both the 2015 and 2016 picks, and then you can use them or trade them for something else. Sekera came in, didn't do a ton, got hurt, the team missed the playoffs, he went to Edmonton, and then the Kings sort of doubled down on Lucic, only to fade down the stretch in 15-16, quietly go out in 5 to the Sharks, and then Lucic went to Edmonton. For all that, the Kings got 1 playoff win, 0 players, and it cost them two 1st round picks to do it.

Reactions: markisonfire

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Secondary scoring:
Undo Matt Barzal+33rd overall for Griffin Reinhart

Oh hey would you look at that, 2 of the worst trades of the 21st century (another being the Seguin trade) are from the same idiot GM, also responsible for gems like Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome, and Kris Russell for 4x4.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad