Prospect Info: Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking #18b

Who will be the 19th best among Sens players under 25 y/o?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm asking people to take position and vote for who they think will end up the best "when all is said and done". All factors have to be taken into account (skill, skating, hockey sense, potential, likelihood of reaching it, age, leadership, physicality, etc)

Ask yourself this question :

Who among this pool of players would I draft BPA? It's basically an organizational RE-DRAFT of all players under 25 y/o. Who are our most important assets, in order?

Under 25 y/o Sens Players Ranking

1- Thomas Chabot (D) 91.7%
2- Brady Tkachuk (LW) 37.3%

3- Erik Brännström (D) 70.8%
4- Drake Batherson (RW) 70.8%

5- Colin White (C/RW) 48.1 %
6- Logan Brown (C) 67.4%
7- Christian Wolanin (D) 61.2% (Tie-Breaker)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (D) 40.6%
9- Josh Norris (C) 34.1%
10- Alex Formenton (LW) 28.8%
11- Rudolfs Balcers (LW) 56.2% (Tie-Breaker)
12- Anthony Duclair (LW/RW) 33.3%
13- Christian Jaros (D) 53.3% (Tie-Breaker)
14- Chris Tierney (C) 54.3% (Tie-Breaker)
15- Marcus Högberg (G) 47.2%
16- Maxime Lajoie (D) 46.2%
17- Filip Gustavsson (G) 46.2%
18- Filip Chlapík (C) 65.4% (Tie-Breaker)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Went with Abramov, but it could be because I don't have enough info on Crookshank, Daccord, Davidsson or Tychonick to rank them above him. Of the people I know better (and that I'd therefore be ok to vote for), I'd go: Abramov, Paul, Veronneau, Harpur.

In fact, I'll stop voting after this one, because of my lack of knowledge on these remaining guys.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Any news on Davidsson and his concussion problems? I don’t know how much it will affect him, if there wasn’t for that, he’d probably make the team out of camp. He has a very likeable pro skillset and almost made the Jackets last year

I like the Crooks and think he’s our next riser. Normally you’d go Abramov here but I don’t know I have a Filatov/Petersson feeling about him and think skating will hold him back. He will surely get his chance in the NHL though.

Daccord just had an awesome year, he has to be voted soon; he has been progressing well

Edit : I see that Davidsson is still a total unknown on the Sens board

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
wow Tierney is in 14th place here. Tierney is 24 with a 40 and 48 point season under his belt. If we have 13 young guys better than that we are in great shape.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
wow Tierney is in 14th place here. Tierney is 24 with a 40 and 48 point season under his belt. If we have 13 young guys better than that we are in great shape.

See my posts in the other polls...

Dorion inherited Chabot, White, Brown, Wolanin and Jaros (5 guys out of 13) when he took the team in 2016. He drafted Batherson and Formenton as very nice value picks and was gifted Tkachuk (3 more guys out of 13) because his team totally sucked in his 2nd year at the helm.

The first year, he “only” traded Zibanejad (then Brassard) but this season he traded ERIK KARLSSON, MARK STONE, MATT DUCHENE (from Turris), MIKE HOFFMAN AND RYAN DZINGEL (where the other 5 guys out of 13 come from)

I swear to God, after a MAJOR firesale there better be 13 players in the system better than Chris freaking Tierney. Among the 13 guys voted before him, many are already better while most of the others should easily become better. Sure there might be some who will not reach their potential; but there is some other guys voted after Tierney who will

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
See my posts in the other polls...

Dorion inherited Chabot, White, Brown, Wolanin and Jaros (5 guys out of 13) when he took the team in 2016. He drafted Batherson and Formenton as very nice value picks and was gifted Tkachuk (3 more guys out of 13) because his team totally sucked in his 2nd year at the helm.

The first year, he “only” traded Zibanejad (then Brassard) but this season he traded ERIK KARLSSON, MARK STONE, MATT DUCHENE (from Turris), MIKE HOFFMAN AND RYAN DZINGEL (where the other 5 guys out of 13 come from)

I swear to God, after a MAJOR firesale there better be 13 players in the system better than Chris freaking Tierney. Among the 13 guys voted before him, many are already better while most of the others should easily become better. Sure there might be some who will not reach their potential; but there is some other guys voted after Tierney who will

Tierney's issue here is he was part of the Karlsson return. That results in him being down played. he put up 48 points. if you call him a 3C, then there are 6 guys ahead of him. then you've got your top 4 D and your starter. That's 11. if out of that list we have a top 6, top 4, a starter and still 2 more guys better than Tierney plus some guys ranked below him that pan out better... then we're in great shape.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Tierney is obviously too low here. Understandable that optimistic fans would favour what could be over what is.

Tierney is just Tierney but prospect X could be anything, even Tierney!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's just remove Tierney from the list completely.

Hell yes, best idea ever, he’s going to be 25 in 2 months anyway so he’s going to magically disappear from my future polls.

It’s either people massively overate him because of his last 2 years point totals (even though he got basically used as a top-6 forward by both Sens and Sharks) or underrate some of the young guys on this list.

I’d like to hear who do these people who are shocked that Tierney is 14th think should have been voted after him. I’m ready for some bets, I’m like 99% sure the first 9 guys are going to be significantly better (unless injuries derail them; and some already are). The other 4 guys are Formenton, Balcers, Duclair and Jaros.

Formenton with his elite speed and overall skillset is a very good bet to be at least as good. Duclair if he can just stabilize himself is significantly better. Jaros and Balcers are the only 2 guys I’m not as confident but I’d still bet on them over Tierney.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tierney's issue here is he was part of the Karlsson return. That results in him being down played. he put up 48 points. if you call him a 3C, then there are 6 guys ahead of him. then you've got your top 4 D and your starter. That's 11. if out of that list we have a top 6, top 4, a starter and still 2 more guys better than Tierney plus some guys ranked below him that pan out better... then we're in great shape.

So answer this :

Which NHL Team doesn't have 13 guys in their system (all ages) that are better than Chris Tierney? The only difference in Ottawa is that those guys are quite young because the team just went into a MASSIVE REBUILD. That's what happens after a major firesale. It seems like Sens fans are really not used to what a full rebuild is. Also, if there's one thing the Sens do well above average, it's drafting and developing good NHL players (since Murray took over Muckler in 2008) :

Ottawa Senators Draft History at hockeydb.com

Yes I know about the bias you can find on here, particularly when a player was involved in a trade but I don't think it applies much here. CHRIS TIERNEY IS JUST NOT A TOP-6 FORWARD, I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that doesn't really understand NHL hockey. It's simple, just look at his abilities and tell me one thing he does above average. Is Zack Smith a top-6 forward because he scored 25 goals that one year? Is Alex Chiasson a top-6 forward because he scored 22 goals in 73 games this season? Was Clarkson a star because of that 30 goals season?

Do you realize that Tierney was 5th in TOI/GP on the Sharks last season before they acquired Evander Kane (17 GP with Sharks). He was even 4th when Joe Thornton was injured. They had serious forward depth problems last year before they acquired Kane and before a few young guys established themselves and made Tierney completely expendable.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...ilter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

Same thing on the Sens this year, Tierney was a great hole patcher. Only Stone, Duchene and Dzingel had more TOI/GP before Pageau came back from injury. Let that sink in. 48 pts is great but seriously I doubt he ever scores as much another time in his career unless he plays under special circumstances where a team seriously lacks depth up front (or has many rookies like the Sens this year)

So yes, theoretically we're in great shape asset wise but the owner remains Eugene Melnyk and we never know how much he is going to invest in the team. One thing that is almost as important as your roster is the coaching staff and as long as they don't invest seriously in that, they won't make much noise.

How quickly people have forgotten that LAST SUMMER, the Sens had Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingel, Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Wolanin, Batherson, Brown, Bernard-Docker, Formenton, etc already all in the system. I just named 13 guys and quite frankly, who there is not already better than Tierney? Batherson, JBD, Brown and Formenton? Seriously, it's just because they are younger and not proven yet.

I don't see what is so surprising here. After trading 4 stars and a top-6 forward, they better have good young assets.

Tierney is obviously too low here. Understandable that optimistic fans would favour what could be over what is.

Tierney is just Tierney but prospect X could be anything, even Tierney!

OK so who do you think will have a worse career among the 13 guys voted before Tierney?

Chabot, Tkachuk, Batherson, Brannstrom, Brown, White, Wolanin, Norris, Bernard-Docker, Formenton, Balcers, Jaros, Duclair

Curious to see your answer. Who are the "magic beans" here?

Chabot : do I need to say anything?

Tkachuk : do I need to say anything?

Batherson : considered as a high end prospect, we also saw him quite a lot in the NHL, AHL, rookie tournament, etc. What a major disappointment would be if he doesn't end up better. kid was drafted not even 2 years ago. Let that sink in.

Brannstrom : considered as an elite prospect. His speed, IQ and overall skillset alone will make him a very good NHL player.

Brown : considered as a high end prospect, hard to predict what he will become exactly but he will be a NHL player and overall skillset, should be a good one even if he disappoints.

White : saw him in the NHL for a full season. Already comfortably better than Tierney IMO.

Wolanin : saw him quite enough in the NHL, AHL and rookie tournament (where I was totally amazed by him). To me, easily better than Tierney already.

Norris : draft position, overall skillset, IQ, elite athleticism, breakout year in the NCAA

Bernard-Docker : complete prototype of today's NHL D-man, impressed in the NCAA as a freshman. Was only drafted last year. As time advances, he will become clearer and clearer as to who is better.

Formenton : his elite speed alone makes him a NHL player, kid was drafted not even 2 years ago. I mean not many could skate with McDavid but he can.

Balcers : see his performance in the AHL in his first 2 pro seasons, see his stint in the NHL this year. With experience and coaching, it's reasonable to think he might end up better than Tierney. He's already a lot faster and more skilled.

Jaros : international experience, his play in the NHL. We'll see how he ends up but looks like he will be a solid stable #4-5 D-man

Duclair : has more natural ability in his little toe, it has been a problem of establish himself. He's still younger than Tierney and after being acquired by the Sens, he has shown that he was better, like AINEC seriously.

One thing all these players have in common is that they're faster (skating/pace) than Tierney

Reactions: NB613

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
So answer this :

Which NHL Team doesn't have 13 guys in their system (all ages) that are better than Chris Tierney? The only difference in Ottawa is that those guys are quite young because the team just went into a MASSIVE REBUILD. That's what happens after a major firesale. It seems like Sens fans are really not used to what a full rebuild is. Also, if there's one thing the Sens do well above average, it's drafting and developing good NHL players (since Murray took over Muckler in 2008) :

Yes I know about the bias you can find on here, particularly when a player was involved in a trade but I don't think it applies much here. CHRIS TIERNEY IS JUST NOT A TOP-6 FORWARD, I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that doesn't really understand NHL hockey. It's simple, just look at his abilities and tell me one thing he does above average. Is Zack Smith a top-6 forward because he scored 25 goals that one year? Is Alex Chiasson a top-6 forward because he scored 22 goals in 73 games this season? Was Clarkson a star because of that 30 goals season?

Do you realize that Tierney was 5th in TOI/GP on the Sharks last season before they acquired Evander Kane (17 GP with Sharks). He was even 4th when Joe Thornton was injured. They had serious forward depth problems last year before they acquired Kane and before a few young guys established themselves and made Tierney completely expendable.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...ilter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

Same thing on the Sens this year, Tierney was a great hole patcher. Only Stone, Duchene and Dzingel had more TOI/GP before Pageau came back from injury. Let that sink in. 48 pts is great but seriously I doubt he ever scores as much another time in his career unless he plays under special circumstances where a team seriously lacks depth up front (or has many rookies like the Sens this year)

So yes, theoretically we're in great shape asset wise but the owner remains Eugene Melnyk and we never know how much he is going to invest in the team. One thing that is almost as important as your roster is the coaching staff and as long as they don't invest seriously in that, they won't make much noise.

How quickly people have forgotten that LAST SUMMER, the Sens had Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, Dzingel, Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Wolanin, Batherson, Brown, Bernard-Docker, Formenton, etc already all in the system. I just named 13 guys and quite frankly, who there is not already better than Tierney? Batherson, JBD, Brown and Formenton? Seriously, it's just because they are younger and not proven yet.

I don't see what is so surprising here. After trading 4 stars and a top-6 forward, they better have good young assets.

OK so who do you think will have a worse career among the 13 guys voted before Tierney?

Chabot, Tkachuk, Batherson, Brannstrom, Brown, White, Wolanin, Norris, Bernard-Docker, Formenton, Balcers, Jaros, Duclair

Batherson : considered as a high end prospect, we also saw him quite a lot in the NHL, AHL, rookie tournament, etc. What a major disappointment would be if he doesn't end up better. kid was drafted not even 2 years ago. Let that sink in.

Brannstrom : considered as an elite prospect. His speed, IQ and overall skillset alone will make him a very good NHL player.

Brown : considered as a high end prospect, hard to predict what he will become exactly but he will be a NHL player and overall skillset, should be a good one even if he disappoints.

White : saw him in the NHL for a full season. Already comfortably better than Tierney IMO.

Wolanin : saw him quite enough in the NHL, AHL and rookie tournament (where I was totally amazed by him). To me, easily better than Tierney already.

Norris : draft position, overall skillset, IQ, elite athleticism, breakout year in the NCAA

Bernard-Docker : complete prototype of today's NHL D-man, impressed in the NCAA as a freshman. Was only drafted last year. As time advances, he will become clearer and clearer as to who is better.

Formenton : his elite speed alone makes him a NHL player, kid was drafted not even 2 years ago. I mean not many could skate with McDavid but he can.

Balcers : see his performance in the AHL in his first 2 pro seasons, see his stint in the NHL this year. With experience and coaching, it's reasonable to think he might end up better than Tierney. He's already a lot faster and more skilled.

Jaros : international experience, his play in the NHL. We'll see how he ends up but looks like he will be a solid stable #4-5 D-man

Duclair : has more natural ability in his little toe, it has been a problem of establish himself. He's still younger than Tierney and after being acquired by the Sens, he has shown that he was better, like AINEC seriously.

One thing all these players have in common is that they're faster (skating/pace) than Tierney

That's an awful long post to say you think pretty much every forward is going to put up 40-50 point seasons by the time they're 24.

I disagree. I don't own your crystal ball so I can't give you exact names and dates. But I'll say I have significant doubts that every single one of the players will hit the cieling you've gushed about.

I doubt your response will age well and I feel bad for the disappointment coming your way in the next 6 years.

Nearly 50 points by 24 is a huge accomplishment. Just because a player could conceivably top that doesn't make him better.

I agree with poster above me that it doesn't make much sense to compare this junior and college players to an established nhler.

Reactions: NB613 and aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So answer this :

that is a very detailed response and I'll admit I didn't read all of it.

to your question how many teams have 13 prospects better than Tierney. Probably none. At 24 Tierney just posted a 48 point season. I'm sure lots of teams have a half dozen guys or more with top 6 potential but how many will realize that potential?

Tierney isn't a star. But he is a centre that posted a 48 point season as a 24 year old. That is something that many top 6 prospects will never achieve

Reactions: Bevans

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
that is a very detailed response and I'll admit I didn't read all of it.

to your question how many teams have 13 prospects better than Tierney. Probably none. At 24 Tierney just posted a 48 point season. I'm sure lots of teams have a half dozen guys or more with top 6 potential but how many will realize that potential?

Tierney isn't a star. But he is a centre that posted a 48 point season as a 24 year old. That is something that many top 6 prospects will never achieve

I think Tierney is getting underrated around here, in part because of the way some are going about judging players. I had a back and forth with Xspirit earlier in one of these threads about ranking certain players with relatively high ceilings but lots of uncertainty as to whether they would realize that potential, and it became pretty clear that potential was being weighted much more heavily than the likelihood of reaching that potential, so a guy like Tierney who has reached his potential (or at least is seen by some as having maxed out his potential) is seen as being lower than a guy who is further to the left on the development curve and has a chance of becoming better than Tierney in the long run.

So, a guy like Abramov who could become a 50-60 pts winger might be seen ahead of a guy like Tierney who already is a 40-50 pts winger, even if the most likely scenario is Abramov never realizes that potential (imo).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think Tierney is getting underrated around here, in part because of the way some are going about judging players. I had a back and forth with Xspirit earlier in one of these threads about ranking certain players with relatively high ceilings but lots of uncertainty as to whether they would realize that potential, and it became pretty clear that potential was being weighted much more heavily than the likelihood of reaching that potential, so a guy like Tierney who has reached his potential (or at least is seen by some as having maxed out his potential) is seen as being lower than a guy who is further to the left on the development curve and has a chance of becoming better than Tierney in the long run.

So, a guy like Abramov who could become a 50-60 pts winger might be seen ahead of a guy like Tierney who already is a 40-50 pts winger, even if the most likely scenario is Abramov never realizes that potential (imo).

with his 48 point season Tierney finished in a tie for 102nd in scoring amongst forwards. 31 teams. 6 top 6 guys per team. that's 186 top 6 guys by my count. Tierney finished tied for 102nd. He plays centre. So what does that productivity make him?

As I said previously, I doubt that there is any team in the NHL that has a current prospect pool where 13 guys will end up producing more than Tierney.

I think our pool is pretty deep and that we may have a surplus of quality middle 6 players within 2 years. If we set Tkachuk aside and consider him to be a 1st line player, the list of young guys that we have that could be top 9 players within 2 seasons is crazy long.

White
Brown
Batherson
Norris
Formenton
Balcers
Duclair
Chaplik
Abramov
Verronneau
Davidsson
Tierney

that's 12 guys, it doesn't include Pageau which makes 13. Apart from Tkachuk, we need 8 of the 13 guys to be top 9 players. Considering that Pageau, White and Tierney already are top 9 players, what we need are 5 of those 10 to become top 9 players. And Duclair either figures out the mental side of being a pro or he doesn't and if he does, he is clearly a top 6 calibre player. That leaves 4 spots for the remaining 9 guys if Duclair sorts it out and that is less than a 50% hit rate

And we have a decent stockpile of draft picks

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Let's continue this debate!

@Bevans @Micklebot @anybodylol

Do people still think Chris "average" Tierney should have been higher on this UNDER-25 list???

Personally, I'm still convinced that pretty much all the 13 players voted above Tierney (except maybe Jaros) are going to be better NHL players (if injuries don't ruin everything)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd only have him above Jaros on that list. He's currently a better player than some, I just see them as still having higher upside.

Formenton probably is the other guy that Tierney may end up having a better career than, but I prefer because of upside and I think he better suits the role he's likely to play than the one Tierney is best suited for.

Reactions: Xspyrit

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If anything he's probably tumbled a few spots with Abramov's emergence and more of the kids having good seasons at their respective levels.

You can still make an argument over how many of our prospects will realistically reach ~0.5 PPG in their careers, but on upside alone it's tough to go with Tierney, imo.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If anything he's probably tumbled a few spots with Abramov's emergence and more of the kids having good seasons at their respective levels.

You can still make an argument over how many of our prospects will realistically reach ~0.5 PPG in their careers, but on upside alone it's tough to go with Tierney, imo.

We also added Lassi Thomson since then. Also, the oft forgotten Olle Alsing is having quite the year, 23 years old 15 pts in 23 games as a Dman in the SHL seems pretty impressive, though I`m not sure he can transition that into the NA game. Similar pace to Klingberg, though Klingberg did it at 21 and has more NHL size.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
We also added Lassi Thomson since then. Also, the oft forgotten Olle Alsing is having quite the year, 23 years old 15 pts in 23 games as a Dman in the SHL seems pretty impressive, though I`m not sure he can transition that into the NA game. Similar pace to Klingberg, though Klingberg did it at 21 and has more NHL size.

I think arguments can be made about Chlapik, Davidsson, Crookshank and Gruden as well at this point (although maybe some people consider Chlapik/Davidsson as tracking backwards currently).

I still don't really blame people for going with the more proven piece at the time, but I think it's pretty clear (it is to me anyways) that last season may have been a bit of an outlier for CT. I have a hard time seeing him replicate his point totals as he continues to get passed in the lineup.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think arguments can be made about Chlapik, Davidsson, Crookshank and Gruden as well at this point (although maybe some people consider Chlapik/Davidsson as tracking backwards currently).

I still don't really blame people for going with the more proven piece at the time, but I think it's pretty clear (it is to me anyways) that last season may have been a bit of an outlier for CT. I have a hard time seeing him replicate his point totals as he continues to get passed in the lineup.

Well to be fair to Davidsson and Chlapik, Tierney is no longer trending as a 50ish pts center. On pace for right around 40 pts,

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah Abramov, Crookshank and Gruden are continuing to rise. A bit too early to put them above Tierney in that ranking but are slowly trending towards that

Thomson would be ranked above CT. Maybe Pinto and Sogaard too but them as well, too early

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Interesting that only four of us picked Nick Paul who IMO should be around 10th overall & Brannstrom is clearly way too high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad