McKenzie: (Unconfirmed) G Steve Mason to WPG.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Jets have struggled in net since they moved to Winnipeg and now this, another roll of the dice.

Probably the sixth-best goalie that was available this offseason. 0.908% save percentage last year.

Chevy never gets it done.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The Jets have struggled in net since they moved to Winnipeg and now this, another roll of the dice.

Probably the sixth-best goalie that was available this offseason. 0.908% save percentage last year.

Thanks for connor.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
He will have a great year there, then stink up the joint next year.

Mason can be a spectacular goaltender when he's not sulking. It's about keeping him happy, which might be a detriment to the rest of the team.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Name five better goalies who have proven themselves to be capable of handling the role of a starting goalie in NHL. I see none.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Good signing. He had a rough season, but was overall, very good for Philly. Think he bounces back with the Jets and this looks like a great deal.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Name five better goalies who have proven themselves to be capable of handling the role of a starting goalie in NHL. I see none.

Look again.

MAF, Smith, Elliott, Bishop, Raanta, Darling, Mrazek, Miller. Even Halak.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
He will have a great year there, then stink up the joint next year.

Mason can be a spectacular goaltender when he's not sulking. It's about keeping him happy, which might be a detriment to the rest of the team.

Yup. I feel like Chevy better have made it clear how this tandem will play out. I feel like it's better to have mason declared the man and make Helle earn back some playing time. I'd even trade helle if the right offer for a young D came along assuming mason signed with some term.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Look again.

I don't see how that proves your point.

That's not a list of players clearly better than Mason. They've all got question marks - whether it's being unproven as a starter (Mrazek) or questions of how good they actually are still (Miller, Halak, etc.)

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
All we need is league average goaltending, Mason will bring just that. Very excited about this.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Mason should be a really solid addition. He'll provide some much needed stability while Hellebyuck develops behind him. He's a top 15 or so goalie, imo.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Even including his .908 last year, over his time in Philly(5 years, 6200+ shots) Mason was a .918 goalie.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Look again.

Now you're just naming players.

Mason definitely has been better& more proven than some of the names.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
If the Jets get the rest of the roster sorted out, look out. If the Jets are in a playoff position come April, it's going to be on the back of a Vezina caliber season from Mason. He's so underrated it's ridiculous. What a big upgrade in goal.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Mason takes a lot of ****, but he is a solid goalie and a good choice for Winnipeg who desperately needed a veteran starter.

At the very least, if Winnipeg continues to struggle with goals against, I would say the team can look elsewhere as the source of their issues. Unlike before where maybe the goal-tender might have been unfairly targeted for team struggles, I think some deeper issues might be addressed instead.

Mason didn't have a lot of options once Calgary traded for Smith, so I think it is a good fit.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Look again.

MAF (NMC), Smith (not proven to be better), Elliott (not better), Bishop (NMC), Raanta (not proven), Darling (not proven), Mrazek (not better), Miller, (not better). Even Halak (not better).

Come again?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1