Equipment: Unbelievable Foot Pain

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
I went to a local pickup last night for the first time in months and had to cut out due to constant foot pain. I've consistently had this problem for a while and I recently switch skates and had them sized at a shop. They were fine the first time I skated in them and then my foot started to hurt increasingly so ever since. I originally chalked it up to my skates just not being broken in, but I don't know at this point I feel like it should be feeling better, not worse.

I do have wide feet, and I told the guy that when I bought them and he gave me a pair that he said were good for players with wide feet, but I have a feeling these are still too narrow. The pain is on the sides of my foot at the widest point (so just below the toes) which makes me think the skate is too narrow.

This only happens with my right foot. It is my dominant foot, so I probably put more pressure on it than my left?

It sucks because these skates aren't that old and if I have to buy new ones, I'm going to be very annoyed.. But it looks like that is going to be the case unfortunately. Unless anyone has a magic solution.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
What is the make/model of the skate? Does the LHS have the ability to punch out those spots in the boot?

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Take the skates back. Simple. Buy something EE or EEE. You should know this already. Just blame poor quality of product and customer service/knowledge. Boom new skates

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Take the skates back. Simple. Buy something EE or EEE. You should know this already. Just blame poor quality of product and customer service/knowledge. Boom new skates

I don't play that often.. these skates were bought just over a year ago.. I don't think I can return them at this stage

What is the make/model of the skate? Does the LHS have the ability to punch out those spots in the boot?

They're Bauer 140 Supreme. They were pretty cheap skates. Maybe that is also my problem.

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Then I would go back to where you bought them and tell them about the problem. They should be able to punch or stretch them where the boot is too narrow. Normally it's something that would be done for free if the skates were bought there. It might not require that much punching or stretching to get the skate to fit right since the other foot fits okay.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Then I would go back to where you bought them and tell them about the problem. They should be able to punch or stretch them where the boot is too narrow. Normally it's something that would be done for free if the skates were bought there. It might not require that much punching or stretching to get the skate to fit right since the other foot fits okay.

I bought them at a play it again near my old house, I'm not sure they will help me out at this point or if they can even do that. I'm going to a LHS tomorrow to see what they can do, if anything. I may just bite the bullet and get a better pair anyway..

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
It's very possible you weren't fitted correctly. Simplest way to find out, IMHO, since you're going to a shop any way, is to just go to get fitted for skates and see where you end up. You don't necessarily have to commit to buying. If you get fitted again for the Supreme line, it's an indication that you're close. Though, I find that the older line where the 140s are from fit a little tighter around the forefoot than the newer Supreme line.

But if you end up in something else like the Nexus line, then it may be a you're in the wrong skate. Heck it might even be that you're in the wrong size skate.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
LHS said my current skates are actually too big, but I definitely need a wide skate. But he doesn't carry wides or even orders them.. so I'm kind of screwed into blindly buying a pair online as nowhere around here sells wide skates! ugh.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Read the Guide and find an online retailer with a good return policy that would allow you to order several pairs and return the ones that don't fit as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad