Umberger not returning to OSU, not signed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinger1

Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
He can sit out the season (or sign to play with an ECHL or AHL team) and become an unrestricted free agent June 1. I'm not sure that will help him get more money, but he will be able to choose where he wants to play. My guess is that this is a move to force Vancouver to trade him so as not to lose him without compensation.

nucks2001

I believe I've heard that the two sides have started up negotiations again which is a good thing.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Reign Nateo said:
It's nice to have a financially fiscal GM

I prefer fiscally financial GMs myself :p

Reign Nateo said:
who can build a good cheap team, but it would hurt to lose a guy like Umberger for nothing.

If Burke wants to build a good cheap team, he should improve his drafting method. I think the Canucks are slowly but surely missing the boat. They have a window of opportunity but they better start taking advantage of it very soon.

They have a good core but are missing ingredients. They do lateral moves, draft like crap, I'm still not sold on Crawford and Burke has (at times) too much of a big mouth.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
If Burke wants to build a good cheap team, he should improve his drafting method. I think the Canucks are slowly but surely missing the boat. They have a window of opportunity but they better start taking advantage of it very soon.

They have a good core but are missing ingredients. They do lateral moves, draft like crap, I'm still not sold on Crawford and Burke has (at times) too much of a big mouth.

I think it's fair to say that Burke has built a good cheap team at this point.

Drafting is getting better, in fact I will be very interested to see how these last couple drafts turn out, although every Canuck fan will agree they need to be better.

I don't think you can say that subtracting Klatt, Letowski, Baron, and Skudra and adding Arvedson, Slegr, Hedberg, and a prospect (or Keane) is a lateral move. It's a clear improvement in my eyes.

Burke is too smart to let Umberger go (actually it's Nonis who negotiates most contracts) and I beleive they will get something done before it's too late.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Reign Nateo said:
I don't think you can say that subtracting Klatt, Letowski, Baron, and Skudra and adding Arvedson, Slegr, Hedberg, and a prospect (or Keane) is a lateral move. It's a clear improvement in my eyes.

And what positions do those guys play? Backup goalies, #7 dmen, and 3rd or 4th line forwards are not terribly important spots on a team. If one of them got injured, would you say "There goes our Cup chances now"? Contrast to Bert, Nazzy, Jovo, Ohlund etc.

Individually, the players brought in may be better than the ones that left, but they play such minimal roles in the success of the team that any improvement will be negligible.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
PecaFan said:
And what positions do those guys play? Backup goalies, #7 dmen, and 3rd or 4th line forwards are not terribly important spots on a team. If one of them got injured, would you say "There goes our Cup chances now"? Contrast to Bert, Nazzy, Jovo, Ohlund etc.

Individually, the players brought in may be better than the ones that left, but they play such minimal roles in the success of the team that any improvement will be negligible.

That may or may not be true.

Let's face it, in this day and age a Canadian team (outside Toronto) having 3-4 legit stars is pretty impressive. So in that respect the Canucks are pretty well of, a lot better than the majority of the league. Now you add role players and a better back up than we have had since...well I don't know when. Magnus Arvedson is not going to balance this team out, but he brings more to the table than Klatt. Letowski was a waste of a roster space, Baron too. Our problem wasn't scoring last year, it was the PK (near the end of the year), toughness on D, team D, and goaltending.

Burke added a former Selke nominee who doesn't give up any offence to the guy he is replacing in Arvedson, a NHL starter to solidify the G position, and a defenceman that I think is very underrated (there's a reason Atlanta offered him a 2 yr 5 mill. contract) in Slegr. Realistically we aren't going to add a 30 goal scorer to play with the Sedins.

So these guys may or not be enough to put the Canucks over the top, but they are all a definite upgrade. Sometimes the small tinkering is all you can do, and sometimes it has good results.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Anyway, back to Umberger.

reported this morning that he does not want to play in Europe (really his only chance) and he and the Canucks are 300K apart.

One station in Vancouver reported that the deal was done and he was on his way to Vancouver, not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad