Player Discussion Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (2017, 54th)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
SmartSelect_20240420_142842_Instagram.jpg

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
After one good season Gustavsson signed for 3 x $3.75M. UPL will sign for something similar.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I had a dream worrying about losing UPL in the next expansion draft.

But I guess that means Levi will be good enough to protect.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I had a dream worrying about losing UPL in the next expansion draft.

But I guess that means Levi will be good enough to protect.

If Levi and UPL are a disaster to lose, why not protect both and protect something like 4 skaters?

Or, Adams can do his job and make trades that are not popular, but are for the best interest of the team

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Do they have any other choice but to try to sign UPL? I guess they could let him walk or trade him. LOL
Why on earth would you trade him or let him walk. He just found his game

After one good season Gustavsson signed for 3 x $3.75M. UPL will sign for something similar.
I expect Sabres to cheap out and sign him for two years covering his RFA years (where they have leverage) and walk him to UFA.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Why? Other than the tired old "Pegula is CHEEEEEEEEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP".

We shall see what happens. The logical decision, with two RFA years of control, is to leverage that to buy one of his UFA years, but two would be much better than even three. Every UFA year will mean the RFA years are for a higher amount than just signing him for two. It is fair to say a year ago UPL was almost being called a bust so why do anything beyond two years and take financial risk. But his very good play under crazy minutes over the last 60+ games of season was something else. He's 25, and I really loved the way he was tracking the puck. I wouldn't mind a five-year deal at all, but four years should be the goal, IMO.

Why? Other than the tired old "Pegula is CHEEEEEEEEAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP".

Tired but relevant the last two years. Let's see what Terry does. He's getting a major cash infusion with Bills.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'm watching this one closely for the direction of the franchise. If it's just two years and walks him to free agency to save money in the short term, it will be a bad sign. Four years makes the most sense because you trade two RFA years for two UFA, but I'm betting on a three-year deal, which I don't like but will live with. The wild card would crazy Terry showing up and giving him eight years. I want a normal functioning franchise where UPL signs for a competitive amount, and we lock down a couple of his UFA years.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd really have to think hard about giving him 5 years if he insists on trade protection. It kinda screwed Boston when they did that with Ullmark and I they seem to regret it, since he's reported to have shot down at least one deal since then.

Reactions: joshjull

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada

I've always wondered why announcers/PBP people keep saying Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen when they talk about him, or he makes a save, but it's just Oettinger or Demko on other teams. It's not like they say 'Igor Shesterkin' or IS every time they make a save. And Ray/Dunleavy are just as guilty.

Why not say Luukkonen instead of UPL? Same number of syllables. It's not any shorter saying it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've always wondered why announcers/PBP people keep saying Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen when they talk about him, or he makes a save, but it's just Oettinger or Demko on other teams. It's not like they say 'Igor Shesterkin' or IS every time they make a save. And Ray/Dunleavy are just as guilty.

Why not say Luukkonen instead of UPL? Same number of syllables. It's not any shorter saying it.

Why they defer to his initials instead of just saying Luukkonen is something that I wonder at. Upie is his on-team nickname because hockey players have the imaginative powers of 4 year olds and make almost everyone an "-ie" or "-sy" for the nick, rather than something actually cool like 6K. Hell, even calling him "Lou" would be closer than "Upie".

Reactions: oldgoalie

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
And it can't be because they are afraid of pronouncing Luukkonen wrong. Never stopped them from mispronouncing Lydman for how many years lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad