Ugly cheapshot to the head in Q's CIS

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
That's wild. Very similar to Chris Van Laren when he played for STU, but with a little more intent to injure.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I was there... that's as much as a cheapshot as a cheapshot can be.

UQTR's coach Hubert was outraged after (and during) the game. He wished for a season long suspension for that kind of hit, adding that if there were fights in the CIS, those kind of cheap shots would probably not happen.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

UQTR's coach Hubert was outraged after (and during) the game. He wished for a season long suspension for that kind of hit, adding that if there were fights in the CIS, those kind of cheap shots would probably not happen.

He is probably right. The CIS would never allow that though.

Anyway is there an update on the injured player?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB

My intrepretation of the video is that Brock's Purvis didn't like the outcome of his original collision with UQTR's Plouffe, got up (maybe looking for a penalty call?) and was slow getting back into the play. When Plouffe came back out of the zone he wasn't watching for Purvis at all (he was fixated on the centre of the ice, which is a mistake) and the Brock player nailed Plouffe steaming along unawares in the trolley tracks with a cheap shot - to me an obvious retaliation.

I've never bought the "you have to keep your head up" argument, and certainly not in this case. Purvis should receive a multi-game suspension to reinforce the message that cheap shots are not allowed (especially when you can't have fighters settle the score). I don't know about a season-long suspension; I don't know what previous similar incidents in the OUA have drawn.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
That was my take as well from looking at the video. I looked at the OUA rules and they don't have anything for a Match penalty. They do have suspensions from 1-3 games for Hit to the head, Attempt to injure.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
That was my take as well from looking at the video. I looked at the OUA rules and they don't have anything for a Match penalty. They do have suspensions from 1-3 games for Hit to the head, Attempt to injure.

I saw the play exactly as you and Freddt did ... retaliation. It was clearly premeditated, and not just a simple hit to the head - the puck was nowhere within 50 feet of him.

As far as precedent, a number of years ago Aaron Fransen of Queen's was suspended for 6 games (or so) for taking 3 or 4 baseball swings with his stick to the arm of Toronto's Tyler Middlebrook. So, there is some precedent to the OUA going beyond their standard suspension list in the rule book.

Ideally, something in the range of 10 games would be appropriate, but who knows.

bad refs

Oct 16, 2008
Nova Scotia
You seem bitter about what the AUS would hand out foyle? I happen to think 3 games are not enough for the malicious intent that is obvious in the video.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
You seem bitter about what the AUS would hand out foyle? I happen to think 3 games are not enough for the malicious intent that is obvious in the video.

No, my complaint is not with the length of supplemental discipline in the AUS, but rather with the lack of transparency and the fact that now the head of the AUS is single-handedly setting the number of games for suspension seemingly without relying on any precedence. It is about the complete opposite of how the NHL now handles it.

Compared to an incident in the AUS that garnered a five game suspension last year in the playoffs, I think Purvis would have received a seven to ten-game suspension if that happened in an AUS game. Or no games. I feel we really don't know how the conference will react anymore (considering a certain Saint Mary's player with a reputation for head shots at Nationals escaped supplemental punishment for injuring a UPEI Panther recently ...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad