GDT: UFC Fight Night: Makhachev vs Green

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Michael Chandler got a title shot after only beating Dan Hooker, I think Islam will get the winner of Justin/Charles

now *should* he? Probably not just based on having no super high level wins. But he’s been so dominant against good fighters that I do think he’s probably the best fighter in the division so I don’t mind him getting it

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I might be in the minority but as much as I like Islam, I don't think it's right for him to fight for the title. He's fought 1 ranked opponent and his last two fights were short notice. I want to see him against real competition before he gets it, an RDA/Dariush are perfect fights to test him that just didn't pan out.

Also, I really hope McGregor doesn't get the title shot.
It depends on the champ's timeline IMO.

They shouldn't put the champ on ice because Dariush pulled out against Islam. If the champ needs or wants time off, then you could book Islam in a #1 contender fight. Otherwise, if the champ is ready to go, Islam's the next guy up.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, Islam is the next up. The only way he isn't is if Oliveira/Gaethje ends up needing an immediate rematch for whatever reason.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
It depends on the champ's timeline IMO.

They shouldn't put the champ on ice because Dariush pulled out against Islam. If the champ needs or wants time off, then you could book Islam in a #1 contender fight. Otherwise, if the champ is ready to go, Islam's the next guy up.

I honestly just don't see how Islam is the next man up. He's beat 1 ranked fighter on Short notice. He hasn't beat anyone in the top 5. His resume is full of wins and they've been dominant. I have no doubt he can hold his own in a title fight, but I just don't think his resume makes him the next man up in any way.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I honestly just don't see how Islam is the next man up. He's beat 1 ranked fighter on Short notice. He hasn't beat anyone in the top 5. His resume is full of wins and they've been dominant. I have no doubt he can hold his own in a title fight, but I just don't think his resume makes him the next man up in any way.
Who else would it be? Everybody else is coming off losses (Oliveira/Gaethje, Poirier, Chandler, Tony, Conor) or is in a similar situation of not really having a defining win either (Dariush who kind of forfeits his shot by pulling out of the Islam fight, RDA, Gregor, Fiziev, Tsarukyan, etc.).

Islam is ranked #4, will probably climb to at least #3 when the new rankings come out, it's not his fault Dariush pulled out, and he's on a 10 fight win streak. His case is better than anyone else at the moment.

Reactions: I am not exposed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I agree his resume alone doesn't suggest he should get that next shot, but..

Who else would it be? Everybody else is coming off losses (Oliveira/Gaethje, Poirier, Chandler, Tony, Conor) or is in a similar situation of not really having a defining win either (Dariush who kind of forfeits his shot by pulling out of the Islam fight, RDA, Gregor, Fiziev, Tsarukyan, etc.).

Islam is ranked #4, will probably climb to at least #3 when the new rankings come out, it's not his fault Dariush pulled out, and he's on a 10 fight win streak. His case is better than anyone else at the moment.

.. there's this. Nobody else is more deserving right now.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

I agree his resume alone doesn't suggest he should get that next shot, but..

.. there's this. Nobody else is more deserving right now.

I guess I'm more just dissapointed at the "title shot by elimination" thing. Even Dariush, the only guy he's beaten is a worn down Tony. Outside of Gaethje, no one's really 'earned' it. Would love to see more contenders fight each other in that division.

Reactions: 16Skippy and m9

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I guess I'm more just dissapointed at the "title shot by elimination" thing. Even Dariush, the only guy he's beaten is a worn down Tony. Outside of Gaethje, no one's really 'earned' it. Would love to see more contenders fight each other in that division.
Chandler lost to Oliveira, Poirier as well, and Gaethje might. Gaethje has beaten Chandler, Poirier has beaten Conor (assuming he's still in the title picture), and all minus Gaethje are coming off losses (and Gaethje has lost to Poirier). The last thing you want is for a top prospect to lose to one of those guys. They've all gotten their shot. The UFC is struggling to make compelling championship fights, the last thing they need is to have essentially the one guy left on a win streak lose to a guy the champ already beat. It's the same risk you run with Chimaev and Burns. If Burns wins that's an absolute nightmare for the UFC.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Chandler lost to Oliveira, Poirier as well, and Gaethje might. Gaethje has beaten Chandler, Poirier has beaten Conor (assuming he's still in the title picture), and all minus Gaethje are coming off losses (and Gaethje has lost to Poirier). The last thing you want is for a top prospect to lose to one of those guys. They've all gotten their shot. The UFC is struggling to make compelling championship fights, the last thing they need is to have essentially the one guy left on a win streak lose to a guy the champ already beat. It's the same risk you run with Chimaev and Burns. If Burns wins that's an absolute nightmare for the UFC.

Yeah but my point is I don't think you can push these guys to title shots without them facing any legitimate contenders. Khamzat beat The Leach and Islam beat Hooker, but IMO those wins don't earn or warrant a title shot. Even just one more top 10 contender fight each would help it for me. They each have only faced 1 currently ranked fighter, that's just not how I see people rising through the ranks. But obviously we know some people get higher UFC ranks based on popularity not activity/strength of schedule.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Fiziev is out of his fight with RDA, I think Islam should take that short notice fight. His last 2 opponents took him on Short notice, he's coming off a very light work night, he should take RDA short notice. That would secure a title shot in my opinion. He won't, because it's higher risk, low reward, but it's what I feel would be right.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah but my point is I don't think you can push these guys to title shots without them facing any legitimate contenders. Khamzat beat The Leach and Islam beat Hooker, but IMO those wins don't earn or warrant a title shot. Even just one more top 10 contender fight each would help it for me. They each have only faced 1 currently ranked fighter, that's just not how I see people rising through the ranks. But obviously we know some people get higher UFC ranks based on popularity not activity/strength of schedule.
I think people ideally agree with you, but shit happens. They had him booked against RDA and Dariush. That's a top 10 and a top 3 opponent. So it's not from a lack of trying. There's nothing he or the UFC can do about those guys pulling out.

Honestly, it's more unfair to Islam to say "You have to keep fighting contenders because the opponents we booked you against can't make it to Fight Night" than it is the rest of the division giving Islam a title shot next.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I think people ideally agree with you, but shit happens. They had him booked against RDA and Dariush. That's a top 10 and a top 3 opponent. So it's not from a lack of trying. There's nothing he or the UFC can do about those guys pulling out.

Honestly, it's more unfair to Islam to say "You have to keep fighting contenders because the opponents we booked you against can't make it to Fight Night" than it is the rest of the division giving Islam a title shot next.

I agree-ish but you can't just assume they're wins. If an unranked fighter has a fight with a ranked fighter but the ranked fighter pulls out. The unranked fighter doesn't get that ranking. Yet somehow Islam climbed the rankings that way. Would it be unfair to Islam to make him earn his way when with ranked fighters backing out? Sure. But it's the business and what a lot of guys to through regularly. Islam just has an extra little push because he's super talented and has the crowd.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
That's fair, but I wanna say Islam is already favored over both Oliveira and Gaethje. Now I realize gambling lines aren't the end all be all. But that tells you all you need to know IMO. I totally get earning your shot, but I also want to see the champ fight the guy with the best shot at beating him. In in the public's eye, that's Islam.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That's fair, but I wanna say Islam is already favored over both Oliveira and Gaethje. Now I realize gambling lines aren't the end all be all. But that tells you all you need to know IMO. I totally get earning your shot, but I also want to see the champ fight the guy with the best shot at beating him. In in the public's eye, that's Islam.

I'd say the public thinks that because of the Khabib connection. Now I don't disagree with the notion that Islam can win (mostly because I think Olivera sucks but he keeps proving me wrong), but Islam hasn't performed against anyone who would give us a true test of his skillset. He has been dominant in his wins over lesser competition but they've been lesser competition, a lot of his hype IMO are Khabib fans who have a new horse in the race (like me).

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I agree-ish but you can't just assume they're wins. If an unranked fighter has a fight with a ranked fighter but the ranked fighter pulls out. The unranked fighter doesn't get that ranking. Yet somehow Islam climbed the rankings that way. Would it be unfair to Islam to make him earn his way when with ranked fighters backing out? Sure. But it's the business and what a lot of guys to through regularly. Islam just has an extra little push because he's super talented and has the crowd.
I'm not even really an Islam fan, but I don't see anything wrong with his rise. He beat a couple of vet gate keepers (Lentz, Tibau), a fellow top prospect (Tsarukyan), and a bunch of guys who are sometimes ranked and sometimes just out of the top 15 (Ramos, Dober, Moises). A step up to the top 10 made sense, so they gave him RDA which turned into Hooker who is technically still ranked #8. So another step up into the top 5 also made sense. And for the most part, he's running through these guys.

Green isn't the ideal opponent to get a title shot, but again, there's no argument for anyone else getting the next shot. You say it's the business if they wanted to keep making him fight contenders. Well, it's the business that the wheels keep turning and Islam is the next guy up.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not even really an Islam fan, but I don't see anything wrong with his rise. He beat a couple of vet gate keepers (Lentz, Tibau), a fellow top prospect (Tsarukyan), and a bunch of guys who are sometimes ranked and sometimes just out of the top 15 (Ramos, Dober, Moises). A step up to the top 10 made sense, so they gave him RDA which turned into Hooker who is technically still ranked #8. So another step up into the top 5 also made sense. And for the most part, he's running through these guys.

Green isn't the ideal opponent to get a title shot, but again, there's no argument for anyone else getting the next shot. You say it's the business if they wanted to keep making him fight contenders. Well, it's the business that the wheels keep turning and Islam is the next guy up.

I don't disagree but he's running through unranked guys. He got one ranked guy on short notice, and no other ranked fighters. I believe he should be ranked, no question. But I don't see how beating #8 (hooker had short notice) and an unranked fighter push him to #3 and a title shot. It just doesn't add up for me.

Were going around in circles. I like Islam, he's been good, just don't agree with the ranking and title shot.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't disagree but he's running through unranked guys. He got one ranked guy on short notice, and no other ranked fighters. I believe he should be ranked, no question. But I don't see how beating #8 (hooker had short notice) and an unranked fighter push him to #3 and a title shot. It just doesn't add up for me.

Were going around in circles. I like Islam, he's been good, just don't agree with the ranking and title shot.
Hooker was ranked #6 at the time actually and he ran right through him. It would have made no sense to have him take a step backwards, short notice or not. Dariush was the perfect fight and a fight that many were calling for, but shit happens and here we are.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

Looks like he'll be fighting at least once more before a title shot.

Fiziev is out of his fight with RDA, I think Islam should take that short notice fight. His last 2 opponents took him on Short notice, he's coming off a very light work night, he should take RDA short notice. That would secure a title shot in my opinion. He won't, because it's higher risk, low reward, but it's what I feel would be right.

Guess Dana agreed. I like the Islam - Dariush fight anyway and am excited to actually watch it. If RDA wins this weekend, I could see Dana give him a shot while Islam and Dariush have their battle.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Guess Dana agreed. I like the Islam - Dariush fight anyway and am excited to actually watch it. If RDA wins this weekend, I could see Dana give him a shot while Islam and Dariush have their battle.

Don't kid yourself, Dana knows Connor is near the end of his career and he want's to squeeze all the juice out before it's all said and done. I expect him to give Connor the winner of Oliveira/Gaethje.

That being said, it might actually work out. Both Dariush and Islam are out for now and probably won't be training until May. So a matchup between them this summer seems like a good idea. Maybe around the same time Connor can fight for the title and the winners of both sides can meet in the fall. Islam did say he wanted to fight in the UAE this fall, so if he can beat Dariush in the summer that would give him the top-5 victory that everyone is hounding him for, and he'll get to fight for the belt in Abu Dhabi regardless of opponent, heck may even be a bigger fight if Connor is his opponent.

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Don't kid yourself, Dana knows Connor is near the end of his career and he want's to squeeze all the juice out before it's all said and done. I expect him to give Connor the winner of Oliveira/Gaethje.

That being said, it might actually work out. Both Dariush and Islam are out for now and probably won't be training until May. So a matchup between them this summer seems like a good idea. Maybe around the same time Connor can fight for the title and the winners of both sides can meet in the fall. Islam did say he wanted to fight in the UAE this fall, so if he can beat Dariush in the summer that would give him the top-5 victory that everyone is hounding him for, and he'll get to fight for the belt in Abu Dhabi regardless of opponent, heck may even be a bigger fight if Connor is his opponent.

Couldn't agree more, Conor vs Islam would be a way bigger fight than Conor vs Oliviera but I don't see Connor beating anyone in the top 5, maybe even top 10. I'd love to see him get fed to the wolves.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
f*** it, I'm ready to see some big fights. If they want to do Conor for the belt vs Gaethje or Oliveira in the summer then I'm in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad