GDT: UFC Fight Night: Lemos vs Andrade/Bellator 278: Velasquez vs Carmouche/Bellator 279: Cyborg vs Blencowe 2/PFL 1

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was reading up on Madge earlier this week because Luke Thomas was so high on him and I couldn't understand why based on his resume. 3 losses all to the same guy who is a .500 journeyman. His wins aren't impressive at all either. I didn't see the fight tonight but seems like he was winning until he got caught? Either way, pretty underwhelming.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I was reading up on Madge earlier this week because Luke Thomas was so high on him and I couldn't understand why based on his resume. 3 losses all to the same guy who is a .500 journeyman. His wins aren't impressive at all either. I didn't see the fight tonight but seems like he was winning until he got caught? Either way, pretty underwhelming.
Don't know much about him, but he was favored against Manfio, who just won the tournament so I guess that says something about how he's viewed

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

In fairness those losses were 7+ years ago. He had a couple good wins with the UFC and then for whatever reason left. He was running away with the fight and was up on all the judges cards. Then Raush landed a bomb and that was that

Madge is a good fighter, he’s not elite though and I don’t view him as somebody who is going to get a lot better. He’s got good kicks and is pretty well rounded. Should have some success in the PFL

Reactions: m9

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Honestly surprised more fighters don’t go to the PFL after getting cut by the UFC. Seems like a good way to get some exposure

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That sucks. Romanov is the guy I want to watch the most on the card so hopefully they find a replacement for Boser. Gotta be a HW warm body lying around willing to jump in there.

... Chase Sherman is the warm body they found (after cutting him).

Reactions: CDJ

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
In fairness those losses were 7+ years ago. He had a couple good wins with the UFC and then for whatever reason left. He was running away with the fight and was up on all the judges cards. Then Raush landed a bomb and that was that

Madge is a good fighter, he’s not elite though and I don’t view him as somebody who is going to get a lot better. He’s got good kicks and is pretty well rounded. Should have some success in the PFL

Yeah the losses aren't really a big deal, more just funny that he had a random trilogy against a semi-can that he lost all 3 vs.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Romanov looks to be in better shape. Lookout heavyweight division, that guy could be a problem with his grappling

Reactions: Taytro

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Romanov looks to be in better shape. Lookout heavyweight division, that guy could be a problem with his grappling
Undefeated big man with submission skills. The future of heavyweight is exciting considering how dead it is right now (in my opinion).

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Nothing makes me madder than seeing these f***ing idiots getting kicked in the thigh and trying to sell it as a low blow

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Rewatched the 4th round and you really just how awful the stoppage was in the slowed down replay on the broadcast, as the last few elbows are out of sight on the live feed. No power/damage behind any of them. Truly criminal, definitely the worst stoppage I've seen in a title fight and possibly one of the worst ever.

member 51464

Small sample sizes and all, but from last weekend and this, Bellatrix seems to have a much much lower threshold for stopping a fight than the ufc.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Small sample sizes and all, but from last weekend and this, Bellatrix seems to have a much much lower threshold for stopping a fight than the ufc.

Fight stoppages are almost completely unrelated to the promotion. The same commission/refs are in both promotions.. Mike Beltran was the ref last night and he refs UFC fights as well.

The only thing you might see is if one promotion goes to different States/Countries as then you're often pulling from a different pool.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Rewatched the 4th round and you really just how awful the stoppage was in the slowed down replay on the broadcast, as the last few elbows are out of sight on the live feed. No power/damage behind any of them. Truly criminal, definitely the worst stoppage I've seen in a title fight and possibly one of the worst ever.
Didn't watch the fight because really, what a crappy card. But honestly, how dumb do you have to be to sit there and let Carmouche throw uncontested elbow after elbow into your face without doing anything? She didn't try to block it, get up, turn, move, or anything. She lay there and took it. What's the ref supposed to do? She didn't defend herself, even if the elbows weren't big.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't even care about the stoppage, it didn't seem that bad to me in highlights. Maybe it was worse in the context of the fight because Carmouche was losing the rest of the fight?

Worse than that was Carmouche saying there should be 130lb division because 135lb is too big and she wants 2 titles.

Reactions: LSCII and 16Skippy

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Didn't watch the fight because really, what a crappy card. But honestly, how dumb do you have to be to sit there and let Carmouche throw uncontested elbow after elbow into your face without doing anything? She didn't try to block it, get up, turn, move, or anything. She lay there and took it. What's the ref supposed to do? She didn't defend herself, even if the elbows weren't big.
I get this, but she's the defending champ. If Beltran is thinking of calling it for this, he should at least yell a warning. The reason it was so shocking to me watching is just because Liz hadn't done any damage to her all night, and it was clear the elbows weren't doing much either. With 13 seconds left in a championship fight it was just incredibly premature

Reactions: LSCII

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
It was early but to be fair to the ref it kinda looked like she was resisting and then suddenly stopped. He might have thought she was out. They should just run it back.

Reactions: LSCII

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
Reminder that Mike Jackson is fighting first tonight. The MMA media member who had one amateur fight and they brought in to fight Gall, who was brought in to fight Punk, who then also fought Jackson in arguably the worst UFC fight of all time lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad