Bantamweight bout: Jonathan Martinez vs. Vince Morales
Featherweight bout: Felipe Corales vs. Chase Hooper
Women's Strawweight bout: Elise Reed vs. Sam Hughes​

Last edited:

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Now this week ties back into what I was saying in the other thread about APEX events being an excuse to make weaker cards. Is anyone super excited for this one, especially after all the MMA of the past 2 weeks. I do like Holly Holm a lot and I'm glad to see her back but this is pretty thin otherwise.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Now this week ties back into what I was saying in the other thread about APEX events being an excuse to make weaker cards. Is anyone super excited for this one, especially after all the MMA of the past 2 weeks. I do like Holly Holm a lot and I'm glad to see her back but this is pretty thin otherwise.

Some of the cards have been watered down far before the Apex thing - it's more due to fulfilling the ESPN contract as opposed to the Apex thing. You even started seeing it with the Fox/FX cards a bit before that. But, obviously they stumbled on the Apex being more profitable than travelling around so they've stuck with it.

The one thing they should be able to do is make the Apex venue a more exciting crowd, at least for the main card. I looked up tickets for a recent card when I was in Vegas and it was like $1000 to see a pretty weak card. Holm/Viera is $1750 USD per ticket. Who is paying that? Do some giveaways to superfans or something. I know it's small, but even a couple hundred big fans would make a huge difference to the ambience.

But no doubt, this is an awful card. The main event is relevant, I guess. Could be an ugly one, though.

Co-main is the real fight to pay attention to here. Ponzinibbio vs Pereira should be guaranteed excitement.

Literally nothing else of interest for me, at least in terms of relevance here.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
It’s a showcase for notable contender series prospects (Medic, Hooper, Almeida to name a few)

Very weak overall

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Some of the cards have been watered down far before the Apex thing - it's more due to fulfilling the ESPN contract as opposed to the Apex thing. You even started seeing it with the Fox/FX cards a bit before that. But, obviously they stumbled on the Apex being more profitable than travelling around so they've stuck with it.

The one thing they should be able to do is make the Apex venue a more exciting crowd, at least for the main card. I looked up tickets for a recent card when I was in Vegas and it was like $1000 to see a pretty weak card. Holm/Viera is $1750 USD per ticket. Who is paying that? Do some giveaways to superfans or something. I know it's small, but even a couple hundred big fans would make a huge difference to the ambience.

But no doubt, this is an awful card. The main event is relevant, I guess. Could be an ugly one, though.

Co-main is the real fight to pay attention to here. Ponzinibbio vs Pereira should be guaranteed excitement.

Literally nothing else of interest for me, at least in terms of relevance here.

I read that there are plans to expand the apex to 1000+ seating which would make it a little better.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I said a looooong time ago the schedule I'd like the UFC to follow is to have a PPV, a good Fight Night (one that you could travel anywhere with), and 1-2 Fight Nights at the Apex to showcase new fighters (or to just keep things moving) per month. That is roughly what they have been doing for a while now.

However, I also said to have the Apex fights on Wednesday or something like that. Do I care about this card enough to make a point to be somewhere to watch it on a Saturday night? No, absolutely not and if I don't watch it live, I don't care enough to go back and watch it either. Would I flip it on after I get home from work, eat some dinner, take a shower, etc.? Sure. I mean, right now, I'd probably turn on the NHL playoffs first, but you get the point.

Anyway, hard to believe Holm is 40 and it's been a while since we've seen her. She could come out looking her age and it's a passing the baton type moment, but if she's even on the level she was against Aldana, I think she takes this. Probably gets her one last title shot as well, especially if Pena wins the Nunes rematch.

Ponz-Pereira could be fun.

The only other names I even recognize are Anders and Hooper. I'll always like Hooper for when he asked Masvidal why he knocked out his dad (Askren) :laugh:

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
However, I also said to have the Apex fights on Wednesday or something like that. Do I care about this card enough to make a point to be somewhere to watch it on a Saturday night? No, absolutely not and if I don't watch it live, I don't care enough to go back and watch it either. Would I flip it on after I get home from work, eat some dinner, take a shower, etc.? Sure. I mean, right now, I'd probably turn on the NHL playoffs first, but you get the point.

I just wish they put in a little more effort to make this Fight Nights relevant. Like you have UFC 276 which has a bunch of names stuck on the prelims, if they put just one of those fights here it would look a lot better.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just wish they put in a little more effort to make this Fight Nights relevant. Like you have UFC 276 which has a bunch of names stuck on the prelims, if they put just one of those fights here it would look a lot better.
UFC 276 is International Fight Week, though. They always stack that card. It's not really the typical PPV.

Generally, I agree with you, though. 6 hours to watch a stacked card like that is too much at 1 time for me.

Reactions: 16Skippy

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Win or lose, Hooper really took a huge step forward. Looking great compared to before.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If you missed the first two fights of this main card then you have spent the last hour of your life doing something more interesting than me.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I had Ponzinibbio winning 2 and 3 but I knew it could go the other way.

But 30-27? Come on.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Was not expecting Holm to get out of that choke. Looked like it was over and she was going out.

Reactions: 16Skippy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad