GDT: UFC 284: Makhachev vs. Volkanovski

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I had 48-47 Islam with my brain but 48-47 Volk with my heart.

Volk can absolutely beat Islam.

If Poirier can stuff TD’s he’d KO’d Islam.
I think Poirier-Islam goes exactly the way Poirier-Khabib went

I wouldn’t put too much stock into Islam looking mortal. You can hit him but I honestly think Volkanovski is better than everybody at 155 outside of Islam and presents a tougher physical challenge than any of the 155ers due to his bowling ball shape

Reactions: Chaels Arms

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Islam's stand up is really good. Very well timed and has some power as well. You could tell Volk wasn't used to that power. But he had enough of a granite head to be okay and keep fighting.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Both are overrated and 26-1 combined in the UFC. Incredible take.
You think Khabib is a true 29-0?

His first 16 wins were against people who had no wins combined.

Amazing fighter but not in the talk of being a goat.

Yes I do think Khabib is overrated.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I wouldn’t put too much stock into Islam looking mortal. You can hit him but I honestly think Volkanovski is better than everybody at 155 outside of Islam and presents a tougher physical challenge than any of the 155ers due to his bowling ball shape

That and his low centre of gravity. Poirier would not be able to get up the same as Volk.

Reactions: CDJ
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Watching Volk outmuscle Islam in some of those positions was quite impressive. It really seemed that Volk was not expecting Islam to be as composed and accurate with his shots, Islam was able to absolutely stall Volkanovki's offense on many occasions with a stiff left straight.

I will say, Islam's standup looks a lot more natural and dangerous than Khabib's did. However, he doesn't seem to have that same brutality that Khabib did. Everything was a set up to just maul the opponent, the standup didn't look pretty, but it was relentless and got people on their backfoot. Islam seems a lot more patient on the ground, whereas it seemed like Khabib was going to beat you until you opened up.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Most likely

Khabib went 20-0 against russian fighters who had like 3 wins between them all.

Both are overrrated.
He beat Bagov and Eldarov early in his career, it’s a false narrative that should’ve been put to rest when he ran through every fight he had in the octagon

This isn’t even close to accurate, you’re just spewing bullshit now. Go home you’re drunk.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

That's a fair take. He had to fight more with more title defenses to be consider the greatest. Although do I hate that term and hate how engrained it is in all sports.

Funny as when I was younger calling someone a goat was basically calling them an idiot. Annoying how it is changed and people are obsessed with it. Especially when it is basically impossible to really determine in most sports due to a variety of factors.

End rant.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

The more interesting fight is Dariush. He’s difficult to take down, has great ground game, and has some interesting striking ability.

He’s a real complete challenger for Islam.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

I mean even if he fought complete cans before, it doesn’t matter, all MMA fighters start in weak promotions and fight borderline cans at times. His UFC record speaks for itself. Khabib never got dropped, never bled, barely lost a round in the best promotion in the world, in 13 times straight. You can’t call that overrated, it’s never been matched to this day.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I mean even if he fought complete cans before, it doesn’t matter, all MMA fighters start in weak promotions and fight borderline cans at times. His UFC record speaks for himself. Khabib never dropped, never bled, barely lost a round in the best promotion in the world, in 13 times straight. You can’t call that overrated, it’s never been matched to this day.
He didn’t fight all cans, he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The first guy he fought was 1-0 so his “first 16 fighters had zero wins” stat is already hot garbage lol

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That's a fair take. He had to fight more with more title defenses to be consider the greatest. Although do I hate that term and hate how engrained it is in all sports.

Funny as when I was younger calling someone a goat was basically calling them an idiot. Annoying how it is changed and people are obsessed with it. Especially when it is basically impossible to really determine in most sports due to a variety of factors.

End rant.
Fair point.

I think Khabib coulda been the greatest if he carried on fighting, but I also respect his decision on when to retire because of his father passing away.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I think someone said my brain says Islam my heart says Volk... that's me right there too. I will say after islam last fight I thought "damn this guy is unbeatable" now I fully believe this guy can get caught.

Let's do UFC 290 in July Mexico City headlined by Yair vs Volk with a co-main of Moreno vs Pantoja.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He didn’t fight all cans, he just doesn’t know what he’s talking about. The first guy he fought was 1-0 so his “first 16 fighters had zero wins” stat is already hot garbage lol
haha.

The guy fought at the top of the division 3 times.

He got out of there as soon as possible.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Watching Volk outmuscle Islam in some of those positions was quite impressive. It really seemed that Volk was not expecting Islam to be as composed and accurate with his shots, Islam was able to absolutely stall Volkanovki's offense on many occasions with a stiff left straight.

I will say, Islam's standup looks a lot more natural and dangerous than Khabib's did. However, he doesn't seem to have that same brutality that Khabib did. Everything was a set up to just maul the opponent, the standup didn't look pretty, but it was relentless and got people on their backfoot. Islam seems a lot more patient on the ground, whereas it seemed like Khabib was going to beat you until you opened up.
The craziest thing is Volk’s tank was better, he was a much fresher fighter in the fifth allowing him to win that round comfortably

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Fair point.

I think Khabib coulda been the greatest if he carried on fighting, but I also respect his decision on when to retire because of his father passing away.

Yeah he needed more title defenses to really cement the talk of him being the greatest.

He was dominant when he did fight. If he had beaten Charles, Chandler, Dariush, a couple of others convincingly then you can start putting his name there. Or gone up and beaten Usman.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He fought Iaquinta after Tony dropped out and he wasnt ranked near the top, and then fought Conor, Justin and Dustin.

3 fights at the top.

You were saying?
No, you said his first 16 wins had a combined 0 wins. That’s f***ing stupid and not even close to true. Acknowledge it.

“You were saying?” *fart noise*

Reactions: Taytro

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The craziest thing is Volk’s tank was better, he was a much fresher fighter in the fifth allowing him to win that round comfortably

Have to remember, Volk normally cuts to 145 and has a huge gas tank there. The fact he had a huge gas tank at 155 isn’t a surprise to me at all.. This is a man that was over 200lbs playing Rugby. 155 is likely his optimal fight weight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I’m a huge Charles fan, but I think Dariush runs through him relatively easily.

Charles has been knocked down in 4 straight fights and the only one to follow him down was Islam, and we saw how it ended. Dariush has the ground game to get a finish in that situation.

Let's hope so. Would be great to see him have the chance to fight for the title.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Fair point.

Seeing how pathetic Fedor’a last fight was, I say again - Khabib is the smartest fighter in MMA history, to be able to leave at the absolute peak when you can stay and make millions takes a true smart man. At the end of the day, no one will have seen Khabib lose or even bleed

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad