GDT: UFC 278: Usman vs. Edwards 2/PFL 9

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This card was insane.

Rockhold yelling f*** you to Costa and then rocking him.

Rockhold on top and smearing all his blood on Costa’s face.

Edwards going full beta male with submissive body language in a title fight and then landing a legendary KO on the pos Usman in the final minute.

Absolutely amazing.
What makes Usman POS?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Usman v Belal. Belal has not lost in 3 and a half years. So a solid win and new name for Usman. Alternatively, Belal and Edwards had their ugly ending to a recent fight, so Belal beating Kamaru lets that rematch be for a title and be that much more legit?
I hadn't considered Belal so that's a fair point, but I see that as a tune up for Usman.

Reactions: Taytro

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Chimaev would beat Edwards no doubt.

But who would be next for Usman? He can't go way down the ladder. Colby, Masvidal, Burns taken care of already. He may take some time to recover but I'd be surprised if Usman's next fight isn't for the belt. Unless you give him Geoff Neal, he lapped the division and deserves the rematch 100% whether people like the idea or not.
Just like Usman would beat Edwards no doubt?

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Just like Usman would beat Edwards no doubt?
Edwards had his fair share of respect coming into this matchup, the odds weren't all that crazy. Anyone who knows the sport knew he had a chance. And lets face it, he was losing handily with a minute left. Chimaev is a complete nightmare matchup for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Usman is more cringe than Colby.
oh they’ll both make you shudder at the cringe, I don’t think you’re giving Colby enough credit. Both are very unlikable. I just saw Kamaru lose though so now I would like to see Colby lose. Have one of them lose every 6 months or so

• Haha
Reactions: 16Skippy

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Edwards had his fair share of respect coming into this matchup, the odds weren't all that crazy. Anyone who knows the sport knew he had a chance. And lets face it, he was losing handily with a minute left. Chimaev is a complete nightmare matchup for him.
How is he a nightmare for him?

Worse wrestler than Usman, and worse fighter than Usman.

oh they’ll both make you shudder at the cringe, I don’t think you’re giving Colby enough credit. Both are very unlikable. I just saw Kamaru lose though so now I would like to see Colby lose. Have one of them lose every 6 months or so
I would of loved to see Masvidal knock colby out like this.

Not much would of felt better.

Reactions: CDJ

bov

Nov 13, 2010
How is he a nightmare for him?

Worse wrestler than Usman, and worse fighter than Usman.

I would of loved to see Masvidal knock colby out like this.

Not much would of felt better.
What possible grounds do you have for saying he's a worse wrestler than Usman? Chimaev's frame is insane and he has utterly dominated in the wrestling/grappling department throughout his career. And please don't try to bring up the Burns fight as the difference. Usman basically took down Edwards at will, hard to belive Khamzat couldn't do the same.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I am an Usman hater. Always has been always will be. Although over his last few fights I have grown (reluctantly) to respect the hell out of the man as a fighter. The man has rightfully so been in the discussions for one of the best of all time I think unless he is medically suspended he is going to get an immediate rematch. Leon edwards even said during the media day he would expect his next fight to be a rematch.

As for the Edwards being too cocky debate... get real. Usman was winning. Usman was winning convincingly. After round 2 or 3 I forget he looked broken on the stool. He knew the tide was turning. The man stayed in that fight against the number 1 fighter in the world and gave himself the opportunity to throw that kick. You are god damn right he has the right to be happy and cocky after that. The champ made a mistake he made him pay.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Chimaev is one of the more overrated fighters of late.

Burns almost beat him.

Usman dismantled burns.
Burns cracked Usman early and gassed in about 2 minutes.

Chimaev fought, imo, a FAR more formidable version of Burns and got the win, despite straying from the game plan.

Usman worked Edwards for about 19 minutes. If he avoids that kick, no one would even entertain the notion of Khamzat vs Leon next.

The MMA math here isn't very compelling.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Chimaev is one of the more overrated fighters of late.

Burns almost beat him.

Usman dismantled burns.

I don't know about that and it may prove to be true but... When he fought burns I 100000000% believe he did not stick to the game plan. Burns got him into a junk yard brawl and his corner was screaming at him to stop brawling and fight smarter. Yes that is on him and shows his inexperience but hit potential is 1000% real.

Reactions: CDJ

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
What makes Usman POS?
The hate on Usman is pathetic sometimes. Yeah maybe he's a bit 'cringe', but he seems to get a lot of hate driven by Colby's Trumptard fanbase.

By all accounts, Usman is a solid guy outside the octagon. Takes care of his family and seems like a good dad who really loves his kids, isn't involved in any stupid controversies, has done charitable work for impoverished areas of Nigeria and in general is a total professional who works his ass off. He's also fought whoever the UFC has given him, and often foregone PPV events to fight on Fight Night cards so his dad could watch him from prison. Guy grinded his way up and earned every win while staying active and hungry as the champ. How many other champs fight 2-3x a year these days? The disrespect and mockery of this guy is so tiresome.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
The hate on Usman is pathetic sometimes. Yeah maybe he's a bit 'cringe', but he seems to get a lot of hate driven by Colby's Trumptard fanbase.

By all accounts, Usman is a solid guy outside the octagon. Takes care of his family and seems like a good dad who really loves his kids, isn't involved in any stupid controversies, has done charitable work for impoverished areas of Nigeria and in general is a total professional who works his ass off. He's also fought whoever the UFC has given him, and often foregone PPV events to fight on Fight Night cards so his dad could watch him from prison. Guy grinded his way up and earned every win while staying active and hungry as the champ. How many other champs fight 2-3x a year these days? The disrespect and mockery of this guy is so tiresome.
Or just people always tend to hate on the champs lol

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Just a bit cringe?

Also, a little disingenuous to link hating Usman with Trumptards. Gtfo with that shit.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Edwards needs to gather with his entire team in a bunker somewhere to plan how to make sure his first title defense is against Jorge Masvidal and not against Kamaru Usman.

So anyone that doesn't like Kamaru Usman is a "Colby Trumptard." Got it.

Way to automatically invalidate everything you say right in your first sentence.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm listening to the MMA Show live post fight reaction podcast and there have been multiple British MMA fans calling in actually crying with emotion over Edwards' win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad