GDT: UFC 273 - Volkanovski vs. The Korean Zombie

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
What about the winner out of Luque and Muhammed? That is coming up this week. If Luque wins, which I think he will, then you have to throw his name into the hat. Not only has he won his last 4 fights, he has finished his last 4 fights.
Good point, especially if it is Luque. Forgot about him. I'd actually prefer that because then you would be guaranteed a fresh matchup for the next title shot.

Given Dana's comments, though, seems the UFC wants Colby-Chimaev. Would probably only move onto Luque if Colby doesn't accept that fight.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Now that Chimaev beat Burns, but looked human, a matchup with Colby before a title shot makes sense, especially with Usman-Edwards not being targeted until July.

If Chimaev dominated Burns, I don't think you could build more hype than that and he should have gone straight to the title shot, whether they waited for Usman-Edwards or not.

It's harsh to say Chimaev's stock dipped by winning a close decision against Burns, but I do think it was brought back down to earth a bit. I don't think there is a problem if he were to fight for the title next, but 3 months until Usman-Edwards and then another 3+ months for recovery/camp is a long time to wait. Getting another top 5 win, even if it was another close decision, would bump that hype back up and he'd be on the same timeline as Usman/Edwards. It's a little bit of a risk if Colby were to win because I really don't care to see Usman-Covington 3, but there's no other option besides having Chimaev sit out.
This is almost exactly what I was saying to my buddies after the fight

Reactions: pistolpete11

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
Make Aljo-Aldo in Rio. They haven’t been back to Brazil since Lee/Oliveira I don’t think?

There's a lot of intriguing matchups going forward 135lbs is a very deep division.

It looks like it'll definitely be Aljo vs. dillashaw next for the belt. Aldo has to be in the mix after that and the winner of Font vs Vera will be a fight or two away from title shot consideration. Then you've got Sandhagen sitting there coming off the close Yan fight after another very very close fight vs Dillashaw.

Even though I think he's looking at Volkanovski I think Cejudo reentering the USADA testing pool bantamweight could be in play also.

As for Yan I'd love to see them schedule him vs Merab. The drama there would be great with Aljo being in Merab's corner and the whole Georgia vs Russia angle.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would prefer Aldo got that fight against Sterling, but it does seem like Dillashaw will be ready to go in a few months so I'm fine with Dillashaw/Sterling next.

Love the Yan v Merab that everyone has brought up.. makes perfect sense.

So then you're left with Sandhagen, Aldo, Cruz with maybe Song Yadong fitting in somewhere. As an Aldo fan I really hope they don't do Sandhagen/Aldo as I hate that matchup for Aldo. I think Sandhagen is just a bit too quick. It does make sense though. so if they went with it I'd get it. I'd rather see Aldo/Cruz, though and then do Sandhagen v Yadong.

Reactions: 16Skippy and CDJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad