Apr 27, 2013
1649433547387.png

Date: April 9, 2022
Venue: VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena
City: Jacksonville, Florida
Time: 10 pm ET/7 pm PT

Main card (PPV)
Featherweight : Alexander Volkanovski (c) vs. Chan Sung Jung
Bantamweight : Aljamain Sterling (c) vs. Petr Yan (ic)
Welterweight : Gilbert Burns vs. Khamzat Chimaev
Women's Strawweight : Mackenzie Dern vs. Tecia Torres
Lightweight : Vinc Pichel vs. Mark Madsen

Preliminary card (ESPN / ESPN+)
Welterweight : Ian Garry vs. Darian Weeks
Heavyweight : Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Marcin Tybura
Women's Bantamweight : Aspen Ladd vs. Raquel Pennington
Welterweight : Mickey Gall vs. Mike Malott

Early preliminary card (ESPN+ / UFC Fight Pass)
Heavyweight : Alexey Oleynik vs. Jared Vanderaa
Middleweight : Anthony Hernandez vs. Josh Fremd
Women's Strawweight : Piera Rodriguez vs. Kay Hansen
Bantamweight : Julio Arce vs. Daniel Santos​

Reactions: Avs_19

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's cool to see Zombie get another shot at the title, but it's really not deserved on recent performance and I don't think it's that intriguing of a fight. Zombie needs somebody who's willing to get into a fire fight with him and that ain't Volk. I think Volk wins an easy decision. Nothing against Volk, but I would love to be wrong.

Yan is deservingly a massive favorite. He's a nightmare for anyone in that division. It will be interesting to see how Aljo approaches it this time. Coming out like a bat out of hell I think caught Yan by surprise the first time, but it still wasn't enough and clearly he couldn't do that for 5 rounds.

A lot of people are saying Burns-Chimaev is the people's main event, and I don't disagree. If Chimaev is who he says he is, this is going to be a legendary moment. I really like Burns and I've come to really dislike Chimaev. I'll be rooting for Burns, but acknowledge it's probably better for the division if Chimaev wins. I'll say Chimaev by KO, but I think we will see Chimaev tested.

Torres-Dern couldn't be anymore whoever dictates where the fight takes place will the fight IMO. Torres is going to piece Dern up on the feet. It's just a matter if Dern can get a takedown with enough time to work for a sub.

A handful of names throughout the rest of the card and this week's "Yeah I want to see that fight, but why did they put it on the prelims?" goes to Rozenstruik-Tybura.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Team Chimaev! He is going to get the finish in the 1st round! Why the dislike for Chimaev?

Completely agree about pistolpete11 comments about the headliner and co-main.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Still a fun card but losing a couple of those depth fights has really hurt.

There's nothing to say about the big 3 fights that hasn't either been said above by @pistolpete11 or has been said elsewhere. You have 3 big fights and 3 big favorites. Looking forward to it.

The one comment I have on the big 3 fights is some people not understanding why Burns is such an underdog. I think once you see them at the weigh-in or in the cage initially you will understand. There is a massive size discrepancy between these two guys. It is going to look like a 185er vs a 155er when these guys are across from each other. The caveat is that Burns BJJ is so good that he's one of the few guys who can overcome that size difference and tap someone out.. but I wouldn't bank on it.

Two pretty evenly matched fights with Dern/Torres & Pennington/Ladd and evenly matched WMMA fights can often be pretty boring. MIght have a couple of slow, grinding decisions there.

Pichel v Madsen could be fun, but it's also an extremely even fight where I could see Madsen trying to wrestle and Pichel being just good enough to scramble out of it or stick against the cage. Weird choice to kick off a PPV.

Ian Garry has a ton of hype and it's probable he keeps the train rolling here vs Weeks.. but it wouldn't surprise me if Weeks was able to use his athleticism to catch Garry and scare him on the feet. Garry will probably rebound and then grapple his way to a win, but if you can grab Weeks by TKO/KO then you'll get some great odds and it's probably worth a flier.

JR v Tybura is the one where the card placement is just so weird. Why isn't this the 4th fight on the card? I will say that sometimes when a fight is buried like this, the UFC knows what they're doing because someone there is getting the feeling that it's an awful style matchup that could look really bad. So hey, maybe they know what they're doing and they're trying to save the PPV buyers from 15 minutes of 500lbs of men holding each other against the cage. At some point there should be some placement based on merit though, and for these two guys to be buried like this for a Pichel/Madsen fight is a bit much.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Why the dislike for Chimaev?
Overconfident. Dismissive. Robotic. All he says is "I'm going to smash/kill/finish him." regardless of the question. Outside of the cage, what's to like about him?

JR v Tybura is the one where the card placement is just so weird. Why isn't this the 4th fight on the card? I will say that sometimes when a fight is buried like this, the UFC knows what they're doing because someone there is getting the feeling that it's an awful style matchup that could look really bad. So hey, maybe they know what they're doing and they're trying to save the PPV buyers from 15 minutes of 500lbs of men holding each other against the cage. At some point there should be some placement based on merit though, and for these two guys to be buried like this for a Pichel/Madsen fight is a bit much.
My running theory is that they put fights like this on early to get a few more eyeballs earlier in the night and then they just stick around for the main card. A) to get more ad dollars and B) so people see someone else they might be trying to promote. I've noticed them doing this a lot, especially in 2022.

It's not going to work on a ton of people, but for fight fans like me who are more than casual, but less than die hard, I think it works. If you put that fight on the main card instead of Pichel/Madsen, I'm probably not tuning in until the main card. Now, I might.

The one comment I have on the big 3 fights is some people not understanding why Burns is such an underdog. I think once you see them at the weigh-in or in the cage initially you will understand. There is a massive size discrepancy between these two guys. It is going to look like a 185er vs a 155er when these guys are across from each other. The caveat is that Burns BJJ is so good that he's one of the few guys who can overcome that size difference and tap someone out.. but I wouldn't bank on it.
When people start discussing who the better grappler is, the fight usually ends up a stand up contest. I'm expecting a KO one way or the other. Burns might not be overly susceptible to getting KO'ed, but we've seen it a few times. We just don't know about Chimaev, but given he is the bigger guy and the part of the world he comes from breeds tough SOB's, I'm guessing he can take a shot or 2. That's why I'm picking Chimaev by KO.

Two pretty evenly matched fights with Dern/Torres & Pennington/Ladd and evenly matched WMMA fights can often be pretty boring. MIght have a couple of slow, grinding decisions there.
Pennington-Ladd is going to be especially brutal IMO. Dern at least could make it fun if she can get it to the ground. Although, I could see her getting desperate, tired, and sloppy as the fight goes on.

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Top three fights will likely all be one-sided but I'm still excited for all of them. Volkanovski is elite and TKZ isn't going to play it safe, Yan is a savage and one of my favourite fighters to watch, and Chimaev seems like the real deal and this is a big showcase fight for him.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I don't get the feeling Aljamain believes he can win this fight. Can't say I blame him. Tough to see that path. Shame that the odds are so steep because I see Yan absolutely destroying him.

I saw several "experts" pick Burns to beat Chimaev. I feel like these guys get cute sometimes with these predictions. If they truly believe that they better place a very sizable wager on Burns.

Chimaev destroys Burns IMO. I truly believe we're witnessing the early stages of greatness here. All I know is if he beats Burns in dominant fashion I better hear nothing but he gets Usman next, period.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I don't get the feeling Aljamain believes he can win this fight. Can't say I blame him. Tough to see that path. Shame that the odds are so steep because I see Yan absolutely destroying him.

I saw several "experts" pick Burns to beat Chimaev. I feel like these guys get cute sometimes with these predictions. If they truly believe that they better place a very sizable wager on Burns.

Chimaev destroys Burns IMO. I truly believe we're witnessing the early stages of greatness here. All I know is if he beats Burns in dominant fashion I better hear nothing but he gets Usman next, period.

Reminds me when all of these fighters were picking Gaethje against Khabib.

Reactions: BGDDYKWL

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
The big three fights should be fun even if there are no upsets. Korean Zombie brings it every time. Yan-Sterling 1 was really good except for the foul, no reason to think this time will be different. And Khamzat-Burns will either give us another crazy old man upset or we'll get proof that the hype is real.

I do think Khamzat will win but I am tempted to put something on Burns at those odds.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Went to watch at 6:00 but I guess all the cancellations pushed it back. Still looks like a very good card but some boring fights can easily take the wind out of the sales. I can see at least one underdog winning in the top 3, if not more. I think those fights could be a lot closer than the betting lines dictate.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I f***ing love watching Oleinik fight lol

Hit on an underdog, good start

Vanderaa very stupid for trying to take his back, I saw that scarfhold/ neck crank coming a mile away. Started laughing.

Boa constrictor is the most accurate nickname in the ufc

Reactions: I am not exposed

bov

Nov 13, 2010
All you can do is laugh at a fight like that, wow. I hope Oleinik retires on a win, it's amazing that has won as many fights as he has in the UFC. Vanderaa probably gets his papers after that.

Reactions: CDJ

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
That was entertaining, sloppy, but entertaining. No idea why anyone ever considers the idea of being on the ground with Oleynik. Low IQ by Vandera probably gets him cut.

Reactions: m9 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’ve got some decent money riding on Malott both individually and in a parlay here against Gall

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Mallott's brother actually played a game for the Jets this year, and his numbers in Manitoba are solid. Looks like his twin.

Reactions: 16Skippy

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Ladd's had her fingers out all fight. She should have been warned earlier and then just had a point deducted.

Reactions: Taytro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad