GDT: UFC 259: Blachowicz vs. Adesanya

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's a shitty rule, and while I don't want to absolve Yan it could have been avoided if they got rid of the "hands on the ground mean you're grounded" which has always been dumb. Yan said he was focused on making sure his hands weren't on the ground which is a dumb answer but it's also dumb that he even has to think that.

The reason I've tried to side with Yan here a bit is that while it was an illegal strike, you're still allowed to do that strike most of the time. That's why I personally consider it "unintentional" as opposed to if he had stomped on his head, punched a ref, or did something that is obviously illegal.

As for the ref talking about a DQ with Sterling there, agreed he shouldn't have. But I also doubt that made a difference as I would be surprised if Sterling in that situation could piece together that DQ=belt as it's a rare situation even when your brain is at full capacity which his certainly wasn't.
A knee down has always equaled a downed fighter, right? I agree hands on the mat equals a downed fighter is stupid and I think they've changed it a few times over the years which confuses things more, but saying you were focusing only on his hands while his knee is clearly down is a terrible defense. I have no sympathy for Yan. It might be a stupid rule, but the rules are what they are, and it was one of the more blatantly illegal strikes I've seen in the UFC. Whether he knew it or not doesn't matter. At that point, you're responsible for your actions.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
A knee down has always equaled a downed fighter, right? I agree hands on the mat equals a downed fighter is stupid and I think they've changed it a few times over the years which confuses things more, but saying you were focusing only on his hands while his knee is clearly down is a terrible defense. I have no sympathy for Yan. It might be a stupid rule, but the rules are what they are, and it was one of the more blatantly illegal strikes I've seen in the UFC. Whether he knew it or not doesn't matter. At that point, you're responsible for your actions.

A knee down has always equaled a downed fighter in recent years in the UFC. Different rules for the first bunch of UFC's but the last 20 years+ it's been the same in regards to a knee being down.

The old rule was any hand down = downed fighter, but that changed in some States a couple of years back. In some ways it's confusing because there are different rules in different States, but from what I've heard this "confusion" has actually been okay because it means the refs always insist on going over the rule with the fighters before the fight so they know they what they're dealing with. I kind of question the language barrier on some of this stuff, but it's their job to know the rules.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
It's a shitty rule, and while I don't want to absolve Yan it could have been avoided if they got rid of the "hands on the ground mean you're grounded" which has always been dumb. Yan said he was focused on making sure his hands weren't on the ground which is a dumb answer but it's also dumb that he even has to think that.

The reason I've tried to side with Yan here a bit is that while it was an illegal strike, you're still allowed to do that strike most of the time. That's why I personally consider it "unintentional" as opposed to if he had stomped on his head, punched a ref, or did something that is obviously illegal.

As for the ref talking about a DQ with Sterling there, agreed he shouldn't have. But I also doubt that made a difference as I would be surprised if Sterling in that situation could piece together that DQ=belt as it's a rare situation even when your brain is at full capacity which his certainly wasn't.

I don't think he was thinking about winning the belt but maybe? I know he was pretty much done dealing with Yan in there, lol. How many leg kicks knocked him down in that final round? I think Yan was just frustrated and if his corner told him to knee, he threw it.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
A lot of pictures and videos of Sterling posing with the belt and getting into it with Cejudo on Twitter. I was on his side the whole time, but that's not a good look. "Leaving the belt in the octagon" was clearly performative and he's glad to be champ. I hate that fake bullshit. I'd respect it more if he said "f*** you, Yan. That was an illegal strike and you took my chance to win the belt, so f*** you. I'm the champ now."

I don't care how you act as long as it's authentic. From Wonderboy to prime Conor to Max to Nate to Frankie, I don't care. I like all those guys. But what Sterling is doing is really rubbing me the wrong way.

I guess I should be thankful. I now have a rooting interest in the rematch.
Well, you gotta look at it from a business standpoint. His manager probably sat him down and told him it would be in his family's best interests if he were to embrace the belt. Sponsorship opportunities and other business ventures open up when you have the belt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad