GDT: UFC 194: Rockhold vs. Weidman; McGregor vs. Aldo

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Way late to the party here but how is anyone gonna hate on McGregor's walk up song. Foggy Dew was ****ing sick.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I just find it weird, conceptually, to think of Conor going up a weight class and immediately fighting for the title. While I get it from a hype perspective and wanting to sell more PPVs, it just seems weird.

Won't fighting at 155 be a different feel? Carrying extra weight and all the pros or cons that come with that.....and what about top-ranked 155 guys waiting their turn for a shot?

Idk, I guess being a champ at 145 means Conor shouldn't have to work his way up from scratch at 155, I'd prefer it not be immediate. Maybe fight Edgar, then fight a top-10 155 guy both to get used to that weight class/weight cut, as well as to postpone the issue of "you can't have both belts."

And why can't someone have belts at two weight classes? Just put in a rule you have to defend each at least once a year or something, and good to go.

145 to 155 isn't that much of a difference, it's not like someone dropping or moving up from 185 to 205. Plus Connor has a hard time cutting as it is.

Fighting guys slightly bigger than he's used to will be bit of a challenge but the move up won't affect him too much I don't think.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
It would be funny to see Conor abandon his belt to move up in to lightweight in March for a title shot, then jump back down to fight for the title between the Aldo/Edgar winner.

I don't think he should get an immediate title shot at 155, but this is Dana we're talking about. But there are a few guys due for title shots.

Also, I wonder if we see Aldo move up, as well.

Much more intriguing fights for both of these guys if they move up.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Agree with jw2, Conor should have one win at 155 before a title show. Give him the winner of Johnson/Diaz (he beats either, imo) in the spring to build momentum and then Edgar for the featherweight belt at 200 before moving up for good.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Foggy dew was a good walkout song for McGregor. IMO, it is difficult to top the combination of walkout songs for GSP-Penn 2 at UFC 94 - French Canadian rap vs. traditional Hawaiian songs was very appropriate.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
As a huge Weidman fan that was really tough to watch. I had him winning the first and winning the third up until that stupid kick. He was gassing but so was Rockhold. We'll never know if he could've pulled it off if he doesn't throw that kick, but I have a feeling that may haunt him for a LONG time. I was very impressed with Rockhold. Weidman wasn't able to do anything with him on the ground. My guess is we see Rockhold-Romero and Weidman-Jacare. Personally I had it 29-28 Jacare but I'm more interested in seeing Rockhold-Romero so I'm ok with it.

Aldo doesn't deserve an immediate rematch. Nor does Ronda. Those should SOLELY be for extremely close or controversial fights. This couldn't have been further from that. Edgar deserves the shot, he should be next.

The amount of talk about all these different options/scenarios for Conor is getting a little ridiculous (and I like the guy). I don't think Cerrone wins Saturday but he's A LOT bigger than Conor. I'm not sure Conor has anywhere near the success at 155 that he's had at 145. I'm not even sure he beats Frankie.

Bruh. We'll be fine. He'll be back.

On the bright side, Luke is a good champ and a good fighter. It'll make for a great trilogy.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Only a matter of time till they have a show at Croke Park.

Regarding McGregor, I'm actually starting to become a fan and it's not because of having Irish in me lol.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Lots of speculation in regard to how Aldo looked compared to previous fights, along with some shady drug testing scenarios that played out when they attempted to test him. Obviously this proves nothing and is merely speculation, but he was noticeably softer, and according to Rogan the commission attempted to test him once, and his coaches had the gentleman thrown out of their gym because his VISA wasn't current, then apparently the second time Aldo spilled the cup.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Put a canopy over the cage, shouldn't be a problem. Lots of boxing cards have been in open-air stadiums.

Fair enough.

Croke is massive. I think it seats 70K+. They've had some massive crowds when the Aussies were there for the International Series.

member 51464

Lots of speculation in regard to how Aldo looked compared to previous fights, along with some shady drug testing scenarios that played out when they attempted to test him. Obviously this proves nothing and is merely speculation, but he was noticeably softer, and according to Rogan the commission attempted to test him once, and his coaches had the gentleman thrown out of their gym because his VISA wasn't current, then apparently the second time Aldo spilled the cup.

Do steroids help your chin?

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
He didn't look softer at all, it's just Rogan throwing his biased **** on the walls, as always. The visa thing was from their last supposed fight not recent.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
He didn't look softer at all, it's just Rogan throwing his biased **** on the walls, as always. The visa thing was from their last supposed fight not recent.

Ummm, have to agree with BDK

Aldo didn't look close to the shape he is usually in.

Last edited:

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

i've seen side by side picture comparisons, there's definitely some reaching there. The difference is really close to none. If there was any, it's probably because of the IV ban. People needs to remember, Aldo looked f**cking Shredded during the weighin of 194, maybe as best as he's ever looked.

I don't see anyone one suspect Weidman who did actually got smaller (now walking at 190lbs before cutting, after taking booze out of his diet, or so he says)

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Fair enough.

Croke is massive. I think it seats 70K+. They've had some massive crowds when the Aussies were there for the International Series.

82,300 including standing room.

Question is, does the Gaelic Athletic Association allow the UFC inside?
Irish residents don't want 'brutal and violent' UFC event -- or Conor McGregor -- inside Croke Park
http://www.mmamania.com/2015/12/16/...olent-ufc-event-conor-mcgregor-croke-park-mma

Wouldn't surprise if Aviva Stadium has already called the UFC welcoming them with open arms.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
You can blame the translation all you want, but here he is saying it wasn't a fight yet again. Lose with some dignity, FFS. You got clowned, own it. Rogan telling him it was certainly a fight was my favorite part.

http://www.mmamania.com/2015/12/14/...-to-conor-mcgregor-its-too-hard-to-digest-mma
I mean, other than the four words you managed to get from that article, he doesn't sound sour at all and if anything, just disappointed in himself.

"We trained hard, did everything right, and the result wasn't positive. It takes a while for us to digest, but it's part (of the sport). It's a sport and we have to accept."

"And I also remember when I came in, how I tried to punch. But, man, it's hard to say know if it's (his) success or (my) mistake. It's a quick decision, and he was able to connect a good punch when I tried a combination."

"It wasn't this time, but we will come out victorious, for sure," he added. "It's a sport, we have to accept. Not only from wins you live your life. That makes us stronger. Way stronger. You can be sure that we will come back stronger, more champion than I was before."

But sure..he sounds incredibly sour :laugh:

Look, he obviously doesn't mean it in the way you and others (like Rogan) took it. Seems clear that he means that it didn't feel like one cause it was over that quick and he couldn't use a lot of his skills because of how quick the KO was. He just wants another chance to use the leg kicks, get him down, etc. He shouldn't get it right away unless Conor moves up. If he moves up, Edgar vs. Aldo should be done. If he doesn't..just run Aldo vs. Holloway (for a title shot) and Edgar vs. McGregor.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad