GDT: UFC 193: Rousey vs Holm

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Personally I'm not hyping holm up to be something she's not. I just said it was Rondas first real test and she got massacred.

When I seen people around here saying she was p4p #1 in all of MMA and I see people in the media proclaiming ber to be some generational superstar I was disgusted. Then you have her attitude which was that of a spoiled ****ing brat.

When she got knocked out (well honestly I read it before I saw it because I was out for the night) it was one of the goat MMA moments of all time.

According to Joe Rogan she is a once ever talent. :shakehead

I think Holly fights again before the rematch with Ronda.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
You guys all must be super rich after that fight, being so totally unsurprised by Rousey's loss.

Nurmagomedov

Apr 13, 2015
Personally I'm not hyping holm up to be something she's not. I just said it was Rondas first real test and she got massacred.

When I seen people around here saying she was p4p #1 in all of MMA and I see people in the media proclaiming ber to be some generational superstar I was disgusted. Then you have her attitude which was that of a spoiled ****ing brat.

When she got knocked out (well honestly I read it before I saw it because I was out for the night) it was one of the goat MMA moments of all time.

Umm.. she was very much on her way to being exactly that. This fight would have sealed that. When you have Donald Trump and Lady Gaga and Lebron and Mark Wahlberg tweeting about at UFC fight, people aren't just saying you're special, you are something the UFC has never ever seen.

Say what you will about her ability being overrated but her star power is completely unmatched in UFC history.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Umm.. she was very much on her way to being exactly that. This fight would have sealed that. When you have Donald Trump and Lady Gaga and Lebron and Mark Wahlberg tweeting about at UFC fight, people aren't just saying you're special, you are something the UFC has never ever seen.

Say what you will about her ability being overrated but her star power is completely unmatched in UFC history.

She was only on the way to becoming that because that's what the media was pimping her as.

As we can see the media was quite wrong. She's no where close to being what they proclaimed her to be. Beats up a ton of cans and then gets her ass demolished by her first legit test.

Just because the media and the UFC were trying to make her a once in a lifetime athlete doesn't mean she is...

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
If she was fighting cans than there are only 3 non cans in her weight class in the world, including her.
The point is that she's clearly one of the best female fighters in the world right now, but to say she's a "once ever" athlete was ridiculous. It would be like saying Royce Gracie was the greatest MMA fighter ever and always will be. Give women's MMA a few more years to mature and there will be plenty of women just as good or better than Rousey who are more complete fighters. The statement was made for hype more than anything else (or I hope so) but it's dumb statement to make especially when she just got exposed by the #7 ranked in the world.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
If she was fighting cans than there are only 3 non cans in her weight class in the world, including her.

I dunno about them being cans, but the division is certainly not filled with highly skilled fighters. Even her best opponent not-named-Holm in Miesha Tate can be analyzed at best as an Decent-to-Solid wrestler, solid grappler and okay striker.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Exactly.

but the media hype machine didn't want you to think that. They never talked about how big of a joke her comp was. Instead they just focused on her dominating s bunch of "amateurs" and used those fights to proclaim her the p4p champ of all MMA.

People were trying to put her above the likes of GSP and Silva lmao. GTFO with that! (Not talking about you directly)

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Exactly.

but the media hype machine didn't want you to think that. They never talked about how big of a joke her comp was. Instead they just focused on her dominating s bunch of "amateurs" and used those fights to proclaim her the p4p champ of all MMA.

People were trying to put her above the likes of GSP and Silva lmao. GTFO with that! (Not talking about you directly)

The Floyd Mayweather of UFC, basically.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Name the boxers thst Floyd has ducked. I'm interested in knowing

I never said ducked, I said picked. But to answer your question, Winky Wright in 2005 and a much better 147lb champion Miguel Cotto than the heavier, slower, been destroyed by Margarito and Pacquiao Cotto he finally fought in 2012.

The likes of an old Mosley, Guerrero, Maidana twice, Berto were not even close to a threat of breaking his undefeated streak.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I never said ducked, I said picked. But to answer your question, Winky Wright in 2005 and a much better 147lb champion Miguel Cotto than the heavier, slower, been destroyed by Margarito and Pacquiao Cotto he finally fought in 2012.

The likes of an old Mosley, Guerrero, Maidana twice, Berto were not even close to a threat of breaking his undefeated streak.

hes still fought a lot of great competition throughout his entire career As well though.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
hes still fought a lot of great competition throughout his entire career As well though.

I won't disagree with that. Gatti, Judda and Hatton come to mind. I just think he put it in cruise control after the Hatton fight, with the exception of Canelo.

Pacquiao could have been a huge fight, as everyone knows, but as much as Floyd hid behind his demands, I think if you had just put the two of them in a room, they'd have hammered out a deal. The promoters were largely to blame for that saga.

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I think you guys are totally disrespecting Rousey here. And her opponents. I compare this more to when Chuck Liddell dominated the UFC during PRIDE's heyday. He was a pretty dominant force, but there were a couple very legit challengers out there that, for one reason or another, Liddell wasn't getting the opportunity to fight.

Rousey is world class.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
No holds barred, I think we've learned that BJJ is king. "Self defense" has no time limits or score cards.

I was going after what he said in a 1 on 1 fight. I still think wrestling is the best base for self defense.

The Jesus*

He ducked Pacquiao in his prime. That's a b**** move in my books. It was the fight everyone in the world wanted to see, and he straight up refused to fight him until after he declined and started losing. He wanted no part of a prime Pacquiao.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
Rousey is world class.

Is she, though? She has had the same game plan in every fight so far, rush straight on and get the clinch. Once in the clinch her judo does the work. Now she happened to meet an opponent that not only had a gameplan (i.e not rushing Ronda head on and hope for the quick KO), but one that had world class striking and movement aswell. Ronda got punished as soon she got close, and in the clinch she couldn't get it done. She was woefully exposed. At the very minimum she has to go back and work on her striking game, it's a prerequisite for her to get in and do what she does best...

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Is she, though? She has had the same game plan in every fight so far, rush straight on and get the clinch. Once in the clinch her judo does the work. Now she happened to meet an opponent that not only had a gameplan (i.e not rushing Ronda head on and hope for the quick KO), but one that had world class striking and movement aswell. Ronda got punished as soon she got close, and in the clinch she couldn't get it done. She was woefully exposed. At the very minimum she has to go back and work on her striking game, it's a prerequisite for her to get in and do what she does best...

Yeah, she is. Realistically she is at worst 3rd in the world at her weight, thats world class.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think you guys are totally disrespecting Rousey here. And her opponents. I compare this more to when Chuck Liddell dominated the UFC during PRIDE's heyday. He was a pretty dominant force, but there were a couple very legit challengers out there that, for one reason or another, Liddell wasn't getting the opportunity to fight.

Rousey is world class.

When you say "for one reason or another", who are you referring to? Sure we all wanted to see him fight Wand, Shogun, avenge his first loss to Rampage, and of course beat the piss out of Arona because he was so ****ing boring. But fighting anyone in PRIDE wasn't an option after winning the belt and I can't think of any legit contenders who weren't in the UFC or PRIDE at the time.

EDIT: Machida is the only one that comes to mind.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rousey deserves every ounce of disrespect she gets

I watched some "reaction videos" on Youtube, pretty much everone went crazy when Holm knocked her out. One video's description mentioned how the bar was 99% pro-Rousey before the fight but after she didn't touch gloves, almost everyone turned on her.

Last edited:

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I watched some "reaction videos" on Youtube, pretty much everone went crazy when Holm knocker out. One video's description mentioned how the bar was 99% pro-Rousey before the fight but after she didn't touch gloves, almost everyone turned on her.
I've seen this mentioned numerous times. I guess it's casual fans saying this because anyone who follows the sport and knows anything about Ronda knows this is par for the course with her. She manufactures some reason to go off on Holm at the weigh-in so she can get into this huge childish rant. I'm glad she didn't touch gloves so the casuals could get a look at what she's really like.

My buddy is a perfect example. We were watching the fight at the bar, and he said he wasn't sure who he wanted to win before the fight started, but realized he was cheering for Ronda as it went along. He's a casual fan. I showed him a video of the weigh-in and his response was, "I hate her". Haha.

The Jesus*

I watched some "reaction videos" on Youtube, pretty much everone went crazy when Holm knocker out. One video's description mentioned how the bar was 99% pro-Rousey before the fight but after she didn't touch gloves, almost everyone turned on her.

I am a big Rousey fan, and I jumped up in excitement when she got knocked out. Not because I secretly hated Rousey, just because what I was seeing was so shocking and unexpected that I couldn't help but respond to it with excitement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad