UFAs, trades, and potential buyouts this summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
I guess the draft thread counts as the first half of an offseason thread, so this should be the second. I'm very interested in some of the buyout steals that will be available this summer.

Berserker*

Matt Cooke in a Sens uniform?

Not a chance. I can't see how we would have any interest in that piece of ****. Having him on our team would destroy our locker room.

If a dirty player is what you are looking for, Raffi Torres is a much better option.

Berserker*

As I stated in another thread, in regards to trades:

It looks like Colorado is shaking things up so maybe we could acquire Steve Downie. Vancouver will likely have a major overhaul so Alexandre Burrows could be available. Philly is pretty close to the cap and the fact that they performed pretty poorly this season may give them the incentive to make some changes so maybe Hartnell or Simmonds could be had for the right price. If New York loses tonight, they may end up having some substantial changes in the off season, it is highly unlikely but maybe there is some possibility that we can pry Callahan away from them.

Aside from that Chris Stewart and Bobby Ryan would be good trade targets.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As I stated in another thread, in regards to trades:

Aside from that Chris Stewart and Bobby Ryan would be good trade targets.

I just don't see why teams will give up on their good young talent, Ottawa wouldn't. I doubt there will be too many good players available this summer regardless of the cap coming down teams will find a way to get good players under the cap. What we will see are guys who are cap problems for teams like Richards & Luongo & older guys who could help veteran teams but not teams looking to get younger.

I was thinking of a guy like Tomas Fleischmann LW who was rumoured to be available at the trade deadline. I don't think he would be too expensive, he has a very manageable contract with one yr left on it & he has a track record of putting up points. Fleischmann - Spezza - Michalek would be a good line for a couple of yrs until Silfverberg & Stone are ready to move up to the top line. He is under 30 yrs old, has decent size & has had a couple of 50 pt seasons. I also think we have players in Bingo for the bottom six & on defence moving forward.

Ahnotamoose

May 31, 2011
Montreal
Despite his horrid year this year, I'd be fine if Ottawa gave Filppula a short-term large money contract. 30 years old and wouldn't cost any assets, tons of playoff experience.

Yes, I know he's a centre naturally, but he can also be quite effective on the wing. Could be a good situation where he takes the draws then let's Zibanejad move to the centre position on the ice and he shifts to the wing.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
I dont see us geting any UFAs this year.
We will trade some to move up in the draft and that will be it.
Rebuild is still on, and maybe for 2 more years even.

Berserker*

I just don't see why teams will give up on their good young talent, Ottawa wouldn't. I doubt there will be too many good players available this summer regardless of the cap coming down teams will find a way to get good players under the cap. What we will see are guys who are cap problems for teams like Richards & Luongo & older guys who could help veteran teams but not teams looking to get younger.

I was thinking of a guy like Tomas Fleischmann LW who was rumoured to be available at the trade deadline. I don't think he would be too expensive, he has a very manageable contract with one yr left on it & he has a track record of putting up points. Fleischmann - Spezza - Michalek would be a good line for a couple of yrs until Silfverberg & Stone are ready to move up to the top line. He is under 30 yrs old, has decent size & has had a couple of 50 pt seasons. I also think we have players in Bingo for the bottom six & on defence moving forward.

Some teams are too close to the cap, others are failing to perform and that is what leads those organizations to move good young players. Good young players have high market value and can garner a strong return which can situate an organization in a more favorable position for a Cup run down the line.

You can't simply try and trade your old or least talented players and expect to garner much of a return.You have to give up something valuable in order to get something valuable in return.

Look at Vancouver for example. They are likely going to have a major shake up in the off season. Part of that shake up could potentially be trading the Sedin twins. If they end up trading the Sedin twins, it isn't because they didn't/don't add value to the organization, it is because they could get a huge return for them. That return could eventually help them win a Cup.

Also, why is it that you think that Ottawa wouldn't be willing to move their good young talent? There is already evidence that would suggest the contrary in terms of the speculated offer to Columbus for Rick Nash.

Berserker*

I dont see us geting any UFAs this year.
We will trade some to move up in the draft and that will be it.
Rebuild is still on, and maybe for 2 more years even.

I think we may be forced to because we are too far below the cap floor.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
There is no way in hell that Downie will be a Senator in his career. You can add Cooke to that list.

Simmonds is unrealistic unless you overpaying by a large margin.

Burrows is meh.

I like Callahan but he's the Rangers captain, another expensive option.

Hartnell might be an option.

Edit: I like the Fleischmann idea (I brought him up a long time ago), but not sure Floreda will be willing to trade him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Some teams are too close to the cap, others are failing to perform and that is what leads those organizations to move good young players. Good young players have high market value and can garner a strong return which can situate an organization in a more favorable position for a Cup run down the line.

You can't simply try and trade your old or least talented players and expect to garner much of a return.You have to give up something valuable in order to get something valuable in return.

Look at Vancouver for example. They are likely going to have a major shake up in the off season. Part of that shake up could potentially be trading the Sedin twins. If they end up trading the Sedin twins, it isn't because they didn't/don't add value to the organization, it is because they could get a huge return for them. That return could eventually help them win a Cup.

Also, why is it that you think that Ottawa wouldn't be willing to move their good young talent? There is already evidence that would suggest the contrary in terms of the speculated offer to Columbus for Rick Nash.
Good point on Nash but I still have a tough time thinking a young player of his skill would be available but you never know. I would also argue against the Sedins having that much value given their inability to put up pts in the playoffs. However, they are skilled & maybe on another team or with the right linemate who knows. You didn't comment on Fleischmann, is he not someone you would want? It will certainly be interesting this summer & would love another powerforward like Stewart, Hartnell or Simmons in Ottawa. I think Ottawa continues to build from within, maybe sign a UFA & make a trade or two next season.

UFAs - I would only re-sign Alfredsson & Benoit
RFAs - I would re-sign all of them, we have 3 teams to fill
Trade - JOB, Da Costa, Petersson, Conacher, Condra, Claesson & others are options to upgrade.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
We absolutely need wingers

Every other position is looking good

If a move is to be made it will be for a winger and I'd figure it would be a trade: there are no upcoming UFAs I'd call attractive and we never get the ones we really want, always have to settle for less

I don't think the Senators are going to make any moves though: Gonchar will be going to a team willing to give him a longer term than Murray will be comfortable offering but not much more; Alfie 1 year deal is required I suppose

Start the next season with this year's roller-coaster ride experience and a healthy team and go from there, no need to rush things unless a first line player becomes available

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
If we got one of Hartnell or Simmonds, I would personally let Murray/Melnyk do whatever they want from me... Especially for Simmonds...

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Everyone focuses on wingers because they are flashy and put up points. When I look at the Sens roster and their prospects I think the best bet for improving the team would be to bring in a defenseman who could slot in at 3/4. I can't imagine Gonchar being offered much considering how badly he tailed off at the end, so I expect him to walk. A vet like Streit would be a good 2-3 year stop gap until the rookies in our system solidify into good NHL players. I would also consider trading away a top prospect, like Stone, packaged with something else to bring in a solid 3/4 guy.

Anyway, the lack of D who could clear the zone efficiently basically roasted us against the Pens. This needs to be corrected before we can push deeper into the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad