UFA's traded by the deadline and for what?

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011
I personally wanna know what our UFA's will get at the trade deadline this year or before. I have my hunches of what some of them are worth but opinions will vary from Leaf fans and rival fans alike. Here's a look at them and a brief description of what i would like to get for them:

PA Parenteau - at the low end I think you could easily get a 3rd for him if his production keeps up, a 1st is out of the question but a 2nd is also possible and if we retained salary or took a ufa contract back you could potentially get a second low end pick perhaps as well

James Reimer - a lot depends on how Reimer comes back from his injury so this could be up for a big debate but i think something revolving around a 2nd is most likely

Shawn Matthias - I think the best that could be obtained here is a 3rd. He's a good forechecker, works the corners well, has decent speed and gets some scoring chances but can't bury many of them

Roman Polak - a typical work pail type of player, has been an improved player under Babcock like many other Leafs this year. I think you could easily get a 2nd and wouldn't rule out a 2nd pick or prospect being included. Many teams will be interested in a player like Polak who can play 20 mins a night and effective on the PK. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Blues wanted him back

Brad Boyes - He's been okay this year playing with Froese on the 4th line for the most part and also being a healthy scratch at times. In the range of a 4th or 5th rd pick

Michael Grabner - It's hard to say right now what Grabner is worth. He started extremely slow but has come on as of late. As of now you might get a 3rd for him but that could change by the deadline. His production could continue from here or might regress

Nick Spaling - Has been effective on the PK and faceoffs this year but has had injury troubles this and very little offensive production. Might get a low rd pick, could help a playoff team with a team that needs help on pk and faceoffs

Other players on roster that will draw some interest with contracts going forward are Phaneuf, Komarov, JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Holland and Bozak. Lemme know your thoughts

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
PA Parenteau - 2nd or 3rd
James Reimer - 3rd + 6th + cap dump
Shawn Matthias - 4th
Roman Polak - 2nd
Brad Boyes - 5th or 6th
Michael Grabner - Hard to say for the reasons you said, could be nothing, could go as high as a 3rd or so
Nick Spaling - 4th or 5th

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd say at this point Bernier has a higher chance of being traded than Reimer.

I'd say Bernier could get a 2nd, f he continues to play well maybe a 2nd +

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Assuming no one goes on a hot streak in the next 30 games.

PAP - 3rd or 4th
Reimer - 2nd or 3rd
Matthias - 4th (2.3M cap hit limits potential buyers)
Polak - 2nd
Boyes - 4th or 5th if he continues getting the minutes he has been, 2nd or 3rd if he gets better minutes
Grabner - no offers (3M cap hit, 5M real dollars payable)
Spaling - 4th or 5th

Possible retention on Grabner or Matthias to bump their values.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Phaneuf with 1-1.5m retention

for

1st
good but not great prospect
youngish depth roster player

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Phaneuf with 1-1.5m retention

for

1st
good but not great prospect
youngish depth roster player

Not going to happen in-season. Even with retention, 5M+ on a longterm contract is too much to move outside the offseason.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Not going to happen in-season. Even with retention, 5M+ on a longterm contract is too much to move outside the offseason.

his cap hit will be roughly a 1/4 of his salary at the t/d

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011

PAP - 3rd or 4th
Reimer - 2nd or 3rd
Polak - 2nd
Boyes - 4th or 5th if he continues getting the minutes he has been, 2nd or 3rd if he gets better minutes
Spaling - 4th or 5th

I wouldn't be too worried about real dollars of what Grabner is owed. The Leafs will eat money to get assets

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site

PAP - 3rd or 4th
Reimer - 2nd or 3rd
Polak - 2nd
Spaling - 4th or 5th

To early to predict! Sorry I don't think this years draft has depth. Last year picks 11 - 61 were mostly all good. This year I think there is a significant drop off after the Top 20. This year the late 2nd round picks will have less value to teams. I therefore feel that playoff teams will be more willing to trade late second round picks for good UFA's. It is also unlikely that Tor will be able to unload more than two players for two extra picks. My early predictions:

Polak - 2nd (currently playing 20 mpg as a #5 defenseman)
Reimer 2nd (if a contender loses a #1 Goalie (Price))
PAP - 3rd (poor mans depth Top 6 forward)
Mathias - 3rd (big body third liner)
Grabner - 4th (useful penalty killer, depth forward)

Little to no interest

Bernier - (sieve, busted)
Boyes - (every playoff bound team already has equivalent players)
Spaling - (see above)

Best value tradable players

Komorov
Bozak

Salary prohibitive players

Phaneuf
Lupul

Toronto already has 11 picks in the draft. There will be a lot of teams with good players looking to start rebuilds at the TDD.

Last edited:

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
his cap hit will be roughly a 1/4 of his salary at the t/d

$1.5M is still more than many teams can take. Plus Dion's NTC greatly limits potential teams.

Teams don't like to add 5M+ in the middle of the season though, because it forces their hand with contract negotiation for all their other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad