Value of: (UFA) Jake Guentzel - Where does he sign?

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I did not know he and Sid were tight. He also fits the Pens' style and we know both Dubas and the Pens are pretty loyal and sure of themselves.
I don't know to what degree Guentzel and Crosby are 'friends' off the ice, but Crosby views Guentzel as being pretty much the best winger he's ever had, so he's Sid's guy in that respect.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
He's a super intelligent player that doesn't really depend on physical skills. That's why I think he'll age well so I don't think the risk is that bad on a 7 or 8 year deal.

That said, if the pens don't sign him might as well start the rebuild.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
It's f
I don't know to what degree Guentzel and Crosby are 'friends' off the ice, but Crosby views Guentzel as being pretty much the best winger he's ever had, so he's Sid's guy in that respect.
It's funny the Pens are indisputably a high powered team that has played a fairly wide open style since Sid arrived. Yet, I looked back at 2008 and 2011 and Geuntzel is very likely their best winger in that time. Crosby, Malkin, and Letang really carried some otherwise mediocre teams.

Last edited:

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I legit hate this guy. Go play in China.

While that is true, thoughts are this.

Pittsburgh core is on their last legs. A serious rebuild is coming. If you aren't trading Sid Geno and Letang, who are you moving for futures? Even though I despise JG, he's a good player. Some yeam will see that. Resigning him for big money while you go through a rebuild is a waste of his prime. I know it hurts but you should put the for sale sign on him and restock the pantry with picks and prospects.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Seems like a player/person who will want to stay close to home and not switch to a Western Conference travel schedule. I would assume somewhere in the Metro or maybe Minnesota.

Given the nature of his current NTC—I presume Canadian teams will not be an option. Maybe the Canucks due to the ex-Pittsburgh management connection—but I think a very specific and rare set of circumstances would need to happen first (PIT falls out of playoff race, VAN acquires JG at the TDL, they have playoff success, etc.)

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
I legit hate this guy. Go play in China.

While that is true, thoughts are this.

Pittsburgh core is on their last legs. A serious rebuild is coming. If you aren't trading Sid Geno and Letang, who are you moving for futures? Even though I despise JG, he's a good player. Some yeam will see that. Resigning him for big money while you go through a rebuild is a waste of his prime. I know it hurts but you should put the for sale sign on him and restock the pantry with picks and prospects.
I’m legit curious what happened to make you hate let alone despise him…

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I can't tell you the real reason. All I can tell you is that being an American in a Mexican prison is no easy time and you don't forget the person responsible for putting you there.

Yeah that didn't happen. I'm a Ranger fan. I hate all Penguin players.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
According to my random ass dream last night, he retires and becomes a coach for the Avs.

• Haha
Reactions: SnS

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If jake goes to FA, then Pens may not want to match an offer that is just over say 9 million AAV. I think he signs with the Pens but Dubas may be forced to make changes if the Pens miss the playoffs and need to fill more holes. If pens are sucking it at the TDL. move him for a nice package. I have no issue if Pens finish say 10th keep the first get into the draft lottery and maybe get lucky and move up for a very good player. Pens need talent in the system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad