Speculation: UFA Holtby

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Seems to be a lot of speculation that Colorado is in the goalie market, for what Holtby with cost combined with his play in recent years i would rather just keep running with Gru and Frank. Can see him wanting to come home to Canada and Vancouver would be the most appealing.

There was a lot of speculation, but most of it started before Sakic and Bednar both said that they are sticking with Grubauer and Francouz. Takes a little while to put that genie back in the bottle after it gets out.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think Edmonton is where he'll end up, would fit extremely well under Tippett's system. If not, he'll sign long-term with Calgary.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
There was a lot of speculation, but most of it started before Sakic and Bednar both said that they are sticking with Grubauer and Francouz. Takes a little while to put that genie back in the bottle after it gets out.
I think your gonna see Kuemper in Colorado and Sakic will be doing it sooner rather than later so he doesn’t lose him to another team .

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Why do people believe that players with good resumes will end up signing a good contract for your team? UFA is the worst and most expensive way to acquire key players. If you think he is going to be willing to sign short for reasonable money, I would suggest that he would just stay with the Capitals.

He is going to sign a contract that will both hurt and be a risk

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think your gonna see Kuemper in Colorado and Sakic will be doing it sooner rather than later so he doesn’t lose him to another team .

And your inside source with the Avs would be who exactly?

There's no reason to doubt Sakic or Bednar when they say they are sticking with the goalies that the Avs already have under contract. I'd also remind you that we scored 10 goals on Kuemper in the last 4 periods he played in round 1. Losing him to another team doesn't concern me.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Winnipeg already has a goalie.
Edmonton already has a goalie.
Calgary doesn't at this point that might be a possible desination. He will be a starter for sure in Calgary
Vancouver. If he's ok with split duties with Demko.

With Vancouver having Demko I’d be surprised he signs there unless Demko is traded.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Winnipeg already has a goalie.
Edmonton already has a goalie.
Calgary doesn't at this point that might be a possible desination. He will be a starter for sure in Calgary
Vancouver. If he's ok with split duties with Demko.
Edmonton needs a goalie but doesn't have the cap room to play for Holtby without moving some dead space first.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Why do people believe that players with good resumes will end up signing a good contract for your team? UFA is the worst and most expensive way to acquire key players. If you think he is going to be willing to sign short for reasonable money, I would suggest that he would just stay with the Capitals.

He is going to sign a contract that will both hurt and be a risk

Did you not notice there's a pandemic and a flat cap? Players are going to get squeezed especially non elite players like Holtby when there's a surplus of goaltending.

Maybe someone makes a mistake on Holtby but a lot of guys are going to be disappointed.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I don’t have a source . I think sakic realizes he’s still got more holes to fill . He has the picks prospects and salary to get it done . You do not think that Kuemper would be an upgrade in net for you ? Really ?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did you not notice there's a pandemic and a flat cap? Players are going to get squeezed especially non elite players like Holtby when there's a surplus of goaltending.

Maybe someone makes a mistake on Holtby but a lot of guys are going to be disappointed.

I am aware of all of that. Everything is relative. A contract that last year would have been considered a bargain will be stressing already cap space and cash strapped teams. So what I said still stands. If he is left with few real options, no term and no strong budget and his only option is a short term, low dollar contract, the Caps will find a way to keep him.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don’t have a source . I think sakic realizes he’s still got more holes to fill . He has the picks prospects and salary to get it done . You do not think that Kuemper would be an upgrade in net for you ? Really ?

Sakic and Bednar both explicitly said they are sticking with Grubauer and Francouz. They both had very good seasons, and the Avs gave up the 6th fewest goals in the NHL with them in net. The only knock against them is getting (or playing) injured. Acquiring Kuemper, who only played 29 regular season games due to his own injuries, doesn't ensure our goaltending stays healthy. So, no, he doesn't address a problem we actually have.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Sakic and Bednar both explicitly said they are sticking with Grubauer and Francouz. They both had very good seasons, and the Avs gave up the 6th fewest goals in the NHL with them in net. The only knock against them is getting (or playing) injured. Acquiring Kuemper, who only played 29 regular season games due to his own injuries, doesn't ensure our goaltending stays healthy. So, no, he doesn't address a problem we actually have.
Sorry but injuries do not mask the fact that they are not proven

treple13

Sep 1, 2013

I can definitely see Colorado being a team that makes sense for Kuemper. Probably with Francouz going the other way plus pick(s)

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I picture him easiest in a Calgary Flames Jersey :sarcasm:

As a Flames fan that worries me. We do have a long history of being a goalie graveyard. Where guys like Wregget, Fuhr, Vernon 2.0, Turek, Hiller, M.Smith, Elliott go to be put out to pasture. I can definitely see Holtby being the next step in that chain, although I really hope that isn't the case.

Not that I'd mind signing Holtby if he was BOTH not expensive and without term

Reactions: yzerman

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I can definitely see Colorado being a team that makes sense for Kuemper. Probably with Francouz going the other way plus pick(s)
A first and Francouz would get it done . Kuemper could steal the games when Colorado isn’t having there best nite . A late first Colorado could afford . I don’t have any sources but from watching the Colorado Arizona series I think sakic would be all over that .

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He says Vancouver on list as I'm sure many teams are on his list he's just trying to stir interest. If were letting Markstrom go and running with Demko plus a veteran to team with him I doubt the vets Holtby. Unless of course if Holtby is willing to sign for 2-3 years max at a discount not happening I might add.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Honestly, if the Canucks let Markstrom walk, I don't want to be paying more than $3 million for his replacement as that goalie should expect to split starts with Demko. If the Canucks could get Holtby for 1 or 2 years at $3 million, I'd be happy. Though at that price, I think Greiss is a more likely target.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Why to people keep saying Calgary?
Holtby has been mediocre for 3 years now, he's not really much of an upgrade on Rittich or Talbot. Flames could use a stud goalie for sure but a high priced UFA Holtby is unlikely to resurrect his career all of a sudden. Often players over perform in a contract year, Holtby did the opposite. 10' pole.

Reactions: Morrison

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
A first and Francouz would get it done . Kuemper could steal the games when Colorado isn’t having there best nite . A late first Colorado could afford . I don’t have any sources but from watching the Colorado Arizona series I think sakic would be all over that .

They are not trading a first for a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad