Speculation: UFA Holtby

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Because there are a ton of goalies out there who are available. Because there are more goalies who are out there than there are teams who presumably need a goalie. Because teams are getting more and more reticent about committing big bucks and years to a goalie. And because Holtby is coming off a statistically bad season.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Sorry but injuries do not mask the fact that they are not proven

How does a player become proven if you take away their opportunities to show what they can do?

They also combined to allow the 6th fewest goals this season, while essentially splitting games. I think that's at least proven enough to get a chance to get healthy and try again next year.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I can definitely see Colorado being a team that makes sense for Kuemper. Probably with Francouz going the other way plus pick(s)

Francouz was just sixth in the NHL in SV% (20+ games) and went 21-7-4. He was also just signed to a 2 year extension at a $2m AAV. He's arguably the best value for a non-ELC goalie in the NHL right now. Why exactly are we trading him for a guy who missed more games due to injury and only had a very slightly better SV% (0.005%), while playing fewer games in a more defensive system?

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
How does a player become proven if you take away their opportunities to show what they can do?

They also combined to allow the 6th fewest goals this season, while essentially splitting games. I think that's at least proven enough to get a chance to get healthy and try again next year.
Well being your a Colorado fan and obviously follow them very closely I’ll buy into what your saying . Colorado is not my favourite team but when the Habs we’re out I was hoping for the avs to go all the way . Being from Nova Scotia I was rooting for MacKinnon. Just seemed like from the playoffs I seen Kuemper was the reason Arizona would win a game or even deserved to be close to winning a game . I did not see anyone in Colorado’s net standing on his head like Kuemper did .

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Well being your a Colorado fan and obviously follow them very closely I’ll buy into what your saying . Colorado is not my favourite team but when the Habs we’re out I was hoping for the avs to go all the way . Being from Nova Scotia I was rooting for MacKinnon. Just seemed like from the playoffs I seen Kuemper was the reason Arizona would win a game or even deserved to be close to winning a game . I did not see anyone in Colorado’s net standing on his head like Kuemper did .

I agree that Kuemper was pretty much the only thing keeping Arizona even remotely competitive in that series. The Avs outshot Arizona 185 - 108, and absolutely dominated play for long stretches, so Kuemper had lots of opportunities to make big saves to keep games within reach. Not a lot of chances to keep the games close for Grubauer, with the Avs outscoring Arizona 20-4.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think I would rather run with Talbot and Rittich than Holtby. They were both better than Holtby this year and will come cheaper.

I think the Flames should be looking to improve the top of their roster rather than spending assets and cap space in net.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I agree that Kuemper was pretty much the only thing keeping Arizona even remotely competitive in that series. The Avs outshot Arizona 185 - 108, and absolutely dominated play for long stretches, so Kuemper had lots of opportunities to make big saves to keep games within reach. Not a lot of chances to keep the games close for Grubauer, with the Avs outscoring Arizona 20-4.
Well good luck with that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad