UEFA EURO 2016 - Final Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Question for the Swedes: is Zlatan by far the most famous athlete in Sweden? Are there any hockey players who even come close in terms of popularity? Karlsson? Lundqvist?

Yes, Zlatan is by far the most famous. Lundqvist is household (Karlsson isn't IMO), but not even Hank is close to Zlatan at all.

Not a popularity list, but one of the big newspapers made a list of the most prominent Swedish athletes. Three hockey players in the top 30:

http://www.dn.se/sport/150-framsta-svenska-idrottarna-genom-tiderna/

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Question for the Swedes: is Zlatan by far the most famous athlete in Sweden? Are there any hockey players who even come close in terms of popularity? Karlsson? Lundqvist?

I would think so. Football is Europe's most popular sport.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
All kids can see of Lundqvist and the other NHL stars is a few highlight clips usually, while they can watch Zlatan in the national team regularly.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Referee appointments have been made for the first three days of the tournament. Hungarian ref Viktor Kassai will be given the opening match

FRA-ROU: Viktor Kassai (HUN)
ALB-SUI: Carlos Velasco Carballo (ESP)
WAL-SVK: Svein Oddvar Moen (NOR)
ENG-RUS: Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)
POL-NIR: Ovidiu Hategan (ROU)
GER-UKR: Martin Atkinson (ENG)
TUR-CRO: Jonas Eriksson (SWE)

Other officials include: Felix Brych (GER), Cuneyt Cakir (TUR), Mark Clattenburg (ENG), William Collum (SCO), Sergei Karasev (RUS), Pavel Kralovec (CZE), Bjorn Kuipers (NED), Szymon Marciniak (POL), Milorad Mazic (SRB), Damir Skomina (SVN), Clement Turpin (FRA)

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Welcome to France everyone !!

Btw, there are strikes all over the place right now (planes, trains, garbage workers...)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Yes, Zlatan is by far the most famous. Lundqvist is household (Karlsson isn't IMO), but not even Hank is close to Zlatan at all.

Not a popularity list, but one of the big newspapers made a list of the most prominent Swedish athletes. Three hockey players in the top 30:

http://www.dn.se/sport/150-framsta-svenska-idrottarna-genom-tiderna/

Sarah Sjöström won the people's athlete of the year twice in a row, so hardly "by far" in sheer popularity. But definitely in famousness. "Ainec".

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Sarah Sjöström won the people's athlete of the year twice in a row, so hardly "by far" in sheer popularity. But definitely in famousness. "Ainec".

Well, I answered the "famous" part of the question. I never said he was the most popular.

thehangover

May 2, 2011

The price you are referring to has only been given to an individual in a teamsport once since it was first given out in 1979. That one time was 2007 when Zlatan won it. Two times has it been given to a soccerteam, one time to a handballteam.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Seeing those game day threads up almost made me **** my pants, it is OOOOOONNNN

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

6b37292ff6e1d15c3f8a598347b5aede.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events