Villarreal x Bayern Munich

Second Legs to be played April 12/13

Discuss

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Doing this now because not going to have time tomorrow.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Benfica is a weak team. Stole Ajax.
Real is totally beatable by a contender.
Atletico is always a pain to get rid of.
Bayern is favourites.
Chelsea should go through against Lille who have no business going to QF. Never know though.
Juventus and Villareal is a tight matchup. Neither team should be much of a threat in the QF.
Liverpool and City are favourites.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Benfica is a weak team. Stole Ajax.
Real is totally beatable by a contender.
Atletico is always a pain to get rid of.
Bayern is favourites.
Chelsea should go through against Lille who have no business going to QF. Never know though.
Juventus and Villareal is a tight matchup. Neither team should be much of a threat in the QF.
Liverpool and City are favourites.
I thought PSG was a "contender" and yet... ;)

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes, and yet they dominated Real for 160 minutes out of 180 ;)

Meanwhile Penaldo is once again out in the first KO round after going scoreless in both legs (3rd straight years, 6 games total).
He was the worst player against Lyon and Porto. At least he wasn't tonight.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
And Real were totally beatable by PSG. PSG didn’t take advantage of their chances in the first leg and folded like a cheap tent in the second.
And yet, we won.

That's all that matters at the end of the day. We sure are not favorites, but I firmly believe we have a shot against anybody. Would I expect us to beat Liverpool or City? No. Can we realistically do it? Oui.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And Real were totally beatable by PSG. PSG didn’t take advantage of their chances in the first leg and folded like a cheap tent in the second.
Yes Real really shouldn't get cocky, they were played off the pitch for most of two games and if not for Donna's brain cramp and PSG shooting themselves in the foot, they'd be out feeling totally outplayed. Could have been 2 or 3 in the first leg, and 2 more in the second.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And yet, we won.

That's all that matters at the end of the day. We sure are not favorites, but I firmly believe we have a shot against anybody. Would I expect us to beat Liverpool or City? No. Can we realistically do it? Oui.
Yes, don't count on it.
But don't worry, you'll get Benfica, Juve or Villareal and go to the semis.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Would love to play RM again. Last time we lost because our keeper's dad died and he lost his head, and we had so many players out on top of all that. Ideally it's time to put some revenge on them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Here are my tin foil hat conspiracy theories. Only half kidding

- Benfica plays Real Madrid. That’s the match they wanted in the rigged draw and we know Perez is going to throw a tantrum.

- Atlético was also originally to play Bayern.

- If Chelsea advance they get City or Liverpool because they can’t do air travel.

As always I am hoping LFC get a fresh matchup because I hate same teams over and over again. No interest in playing City or Chelsea 4 to 6 Times this season. It’s boring.

So for LFC, I would like Benfica of the teams that we know are in. Benfica, Juventus and Lille they haven’t played under Klopp. That would be most fun for me. I kind of like the subplot of Liverpool running through all the good Italian teams and getting their scalps. Of course in this scenario LFC will wind up doing their Italian tour and Man City will wind up continuing their Portuguese tour.

Chance for revenge against Real Madrid after we had to run Ozan Kabak and Nat Phillips against them twice last year.

No interest in Atlético. Already played them twice. Boring.

No issue with Bayern. No issue with anyone else.

Not “afraid” of any draw but LFC should be getting past all of these teams besides City and maybe Bayern.

Just don’t want a boring PL vs PL draw honestly. Would gladly play Bayern at the expense of that.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And yet, we won.

Of course they *could* win, but they’ll rightly be pretty decent underdogs against any of the three remaining favorites.

Not Benfica style underdogs, but underdogs nonetheless.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Tuchel ball should be there.
A whopping total of 0.1 xG against Lille and yet still 1-1.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Tuchel ball should be there.
A whopping total of 0.1 xG against Lille and yet still 1-1.
Tuchel is the Michael Bay of Football. Even though he's a genius at his craft, he has become so horribly cynical that there is no longer any hint of the creativity that flowed out of him when he was first breaking in...when it was TT, not Nagelsmann, who looked destined to become germany's answer to Pep...

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Tuchel is the Michael Bay of Football. Even though he's a genius at his craft, he has become so horribly cynical that there is no longer any hint of the creativity that flowed out of him when he was first breaking in.
If I recall correctly, later on at Mainz he lost 4-0, 4-1, 4-0 to a couple of mid table teams And Dortmund, I believe, in the space of of a month. Something like that.

Bit that’s probably where he figured out what a manager at highest professional level is actually paid to do.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He's probably figured out luck too with Lille hitting the post with Mendy totally beaten...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If I recall correctly, later on at Mainz he lost 4-0, 4-1, 4-0 to a couple of mid table teams And Dortmund, I believe, in the space of of a month. Something like that.

Bit that’s probably where he figured out what a manager at highest professional level is actually paid to do.
I think it was the matchups with Pep's Bayern & Klopp's Liverpool that broke him, when he had set his out-gunned team up to slay the giant but instead ended up suffering bitter defeats. With his own idiosyncracies & Watzke being an absolute c*** making the experience all the more miserable, I suspect that reflecting on those defeats was what made him lose his passion for creative football.

...as I haven't seen the same bravado from him since those BVB days; when his Dortmund was performing even better than Klopp's ever had only to falter because Bayern was so much stronger than they had ever been during Klopp's Dortmund tenure.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
But he reached a higher peak after. He won the CL. That’s the pinnacle. That’s the highlight of his career, thus far.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Might not be pretty football but Villareal are a very disciplined team and they capitalized on their chances.
Well deserved - hope they go even further over some of these dirty money teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad