HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Iginla always going to the net. That’s why he’s in front of Catton in my book. That’s where you have to go in the pro.
1714157516110.gif

IGGY !

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
That's it. 6-0 Canada over Czechs.

Way too many penalties by Canada. 58 minutes, including a major.

George player of the game. He deserves it. He was excellent.

Iginla played like someone you want to take 5th overall.

Brunicke & Beaudin were outstanding on pks. Brunicke is pretty steady defensively regardless of situation.

Teams will be tanking for Martone next year.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Based on how Iginla is playing today and the fact they have been to both Canada games so far. They've forgone watching Helenius twice now to have the entire group watching Canada.
They're likely choosing to watch Iginla and Helenius against the stronger matchups. It's scary to think of how badly Canada should destroy Switzerland and Kazhakstan.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Not much. It was a pretty short interview.

He talked about Slafkovsky and how he was quite the character off ice, which he thinks helped in his transition to the intensity of Montreal. He said Slafkovsky is a real team player, and really wants to win.

He said they want players in Montreal who will help build the type of culture that will help them win. They want players that want to win, and who will contribute to winning.

He feels they have examples in Slafkovsky & Suzuki. They need to get better depth at forward. He acknowledged that forward was a weakness in organization.

He also mentioned again that they're quite comfortable with their LD at all levels, and doesn't think we'll draft a LD this year in 1st round (he notably did not say, any D, just LD, which means Levshunov, Parekh & Yakemchuk may still be on the table), and that if a LD is available and they get a good enough offer, they could trade down.
That was quite a bit. Thanks

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Maybe I’m missing something….where’s the nepotism here?

Was Jarome Iginla a client of Hughes?

It's not nepotism unless Calgary takes him on Iginla's say so. It's cronyism. He means that NHL teams like sons of former NHL players, so will often over draft them.

Nepotism: means hiring only relatives for positions

Cronyism: means only hiring friends or companions

Cronyism is huge in NHL.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I would package the Jets pick + a couple of assets to move up to grab Hemming, he is as good of a goalscorer as Eiserman is, but a much better hockey player.

Ive actually had Hemming ranked pretty high all season despite his struggles in Liiga, people have to keep in mind that basically all the top CHLers in this draft would struggle in Liiga, thats a really tough league to play in, you need to be a great skater with a great work ethic, you need to be physically strong enough too.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It's not nepotism unless Calgary takes him on Iginla's say so. It's cronyism. He means that NHL teams like sons of former NHL players, so will often over draft them.

Nepotism: means hiring only relatives for positions

Cronyism: means only hiring friends or companions

Cronyism is huge in NHL.
Ya, that’s why I didn’t get the nepotism part…..unless Hughes and Iginla were pals, would fall under cronyism….wish Bergevin felt cronyism when we bypassed Tkachuk for KK….

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I would package the Jets pick + a couple of assets to move up to grab Hemming, he is as good of a goalscorer as Eiserman is, but a much better hockey player.

Ive actually had Hemming ranked pretty high all season despite his struggles in Liiga, people have to keep in mind that basically all the top CHLers in this draft would struggle in Liiga, thats a really tough league to play in, you need to be a great skater with a great work ethic, you need to be physically strong enough too.

I've pretty much being saying this since we got the Jets pick. We need to move up and get a top 20 pick. Maybe top 15 if we can swing it.

I agree with the Hemming/Eiserman comment. I mentioned in draft thread that there are several players in this draft who can do exactly what Eiserman can do, but bring more game with them.

Hemming was one of those players I mentioned. It makes no sense to go for a volume shooter like Eiserman.

MacKenzie had Hemming at #15 in his last draft ranking. His consolidated ranking is #24. I expect him to go 13-19. Somewhere in teens.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I've pretty much being saying this since we got the Jets pick. We need to move up and get a top 20 pick. Maybe top 15 if we can swing it.

I agree with the Hemming/Eiserman comment. I mentioned in draft thread that there are several players in this draft who can do exactly what Eiserman can do, but bring more game with them.

Hemming was one of those players I mentioned. It makes no sense to go for a volume shooter like Eiserman.

MacKenzie had Hemming at #15 in his last draft ranking. His consolidated ranking is #24. I expect him to go 13-19. Somewhere in teens.
Mackenzie's ranking is likely closer to the reality than the consolidated one, which should be took with a grain of salt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad