HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
McKenna is indigenous, a member of the Tr'ondëk Hwëch'in First Nation. McKenna is cousins through marriage with NHL player, Connor Bedard.
Mckenna could be playing at the National Aboriginal Hockey Championship that starts tomorrow in Grand Prairie, Alberta. Everyone can watch this tournament on line.

Reactions: ElQuebecois

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
5 min penalty and a game misconduct for a hit on Ryder Ritchie. That lead to 3 PP goals for Canada.
Three reasons for Canada’s remarkable third period rebound: 1) U.S. decision to change their strategy of pressing Canada at the start of third period and allowed the momentum to change; 2) the five minute major penalty; 3) McKenna’s brilliance who was double shifted almost the entire third period. The kid is unbelievable.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Here's the Connelly penalty for those who missed it.

Is it just me that find everybody vilifying him for this hit, kind of hypocrites? Stupid, 100% truly because of how IIHF rules are very strict. That being said everybody on this board always say we need players that play hard to compete in the NHL playoff and that we are too small. In the NHL playoff this is not a 5 min major and he would be praised for his intensity and attitude.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Players who improved their draft stock:

- Ryder Ritchie
- Cole Hutson
- Carter George

Players who hurt their draft stock :
- Connelly
- Greentree
- Aron Kiviharju

Do you guys agree?

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Is it just me that find everybody vilifying him for this hit, kind of hypocrites? Stupid, 100% truly because of how IIHF rules are very strict. That being said everybody on this board always say we need players that play hard to compete in the NHL playoff and that we are too small. In the NHL playoff this is not a 5 min major and he would be praised for his intensity and attitude.
No one would be praising him for making an unnecessary hit when his team was in control of the game.

Players who improved their draft stock:

- Ryder Ritchie
- Cole Hutson
- Carter George

Players who hurt their draft stock :
- Connelly
- Greentree
- Aron Kiviharju

Do you guys agree?
Agreed except for Greentree. Probably didn't improve or hurt his position.

Reactions: The Little Viking

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
From what I see it was a cheapshot or at least an intent to injury. No was he is trying to separate the player from the puck. 100% justified call

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Agreed. Connelly had committed to the hit and continued when Ritchie became vulnerable. It was a penalty, but the play was not as egregious as many are saying. The kid’s a player and I don’t think he falls out of the second round, regardless of his reputation.

Reactions: Habs7631 and Leto

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
No one would be praising him for making an unnecessary hit when his team was in control of the game.

Agreed except for Greentree. Probably didn't improve or hurt his position.
Greentree’s limitations were showcased against the ultra- fast US team. He was largely invisible.

I also think Vanacker hurt his potential ranking as he was largely ineffective against this superior level of competition. But Vanacker was injured early in the tournament and that may well have limited the level of his play.

I was disappointed that Mcqueen’s injury knocked him out of the tournament. In his short sample size he was one of Canada’s better players. I think he is a lock for Canada’s WJC team in December and will be a top 10 pick in the 2025 draft. Maybe even top 5. Kid is huge, fast and skilled.

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
Agreed. Connelly had committed to the hit and continued when Ritchie became vulnerable. It was a penalty, but the play was not as egregious as many are saying. The kid’s a player and I don’t think he falls out of the second round, regardless of his reputation.

I suspect a team like Carolina will jump on him : not a traditional hockey market with a lot of media attention, an atypical owner who is obsessed with analytics and an headstrong head coach.​

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I suspect a team like Carolina will jump on him : not a traditional hockey market with a lot of media attention, an atypical owner who is obsessed with analytics and an headstrong head coach.​
People forget these are 17 year old kids and younger. Maturity may address some of this kid’s tendencies. With his level of skill there will be no shortage of teams willing to take the gamble that he will ‘grow up’. We should be one of them if he’s available when we are drafting with the Avalanche’s second round pick.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
How do we get Cole Hutson and Iggy JR?

People forget these are 17 year old kids and younger. Maturity may address some of this kid’s tendencies. With his level of skill there will be no shortage of teams willing to take the gamble that he will ‘grow up’. We should be one of them if he’s available when we are drafting with the Avalanche’s second round pick.
Exactly, they are just kids. If people knew what Messier and Anderson did during the 80's in Edmonton, they would be sickened. Social media blows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad