U.S. expected to announce major nuclear fusion energy breakthrough

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Stay tuned on Tuesday ...

Fusion energy breakthrough by US scientists boosts clean power hopes

Net energy gain indicates technology could provide an abundant zero-carbon alternative to fossil fuels

Tom Wilson in London YESTERDAY (11 December 2022)

US government scientists have made a breakthrough in the pursuit of limitless, zero-carbon power by achieving a net energy gain in a fusion reaction for the first time, according to three people with knowledge of preliminary results from a recent experiment.

Physicists have since the 1950s sought to harness the fusion reaction that powers the sun, but no group had been able to produce more energy from the reaction than it consumes — a milestone known as net energy gain or target gain, which would help prove the process could provide a reliable, abundant alternative to fossil fuels and conventional nuclear energy.

The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world’s biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said. ...

Read more (skipping the firewall) at: U.S. expected to announce major nuclear fusion energy breakthrough

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I'm looking forward to what they'll announce, however I remember a Youtube video last year by Dr. Hossenfelder on Youtube:

She makes a point about how a lot of fusion breakthroughs don't really live up to the hype that can appear in the news media. Basically her point is that while some of these gains sound promising, when it comes to leading to an actual practical fusion power plant, we're not close at all. (The video goes into Q totals/Q plasma stuff... I really can't explain it myself, heh)

Edit: Ah what the heck, I'll try to TLDR as I understand it: basically the energy produced by fusion results far doesn't mean actual energy that is being turned into electricity, all major fusion results so far has been about the amount of heat made basically. You still need to turn that heat into electricity, and you need to be able to have that be greater than the energy to start up the fusion reaction for it to be practical. IE. true net gain that is actually usable.

Again, we'll just have to hear what LLNL is going to announce tomorrow.

Last edited:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!

The announcement
Yeah, so obviously an important milestone but still as the article says:

The net energy gain achievement applied to the fusion reaction itself, not the total amount of power it took to operate the lasers and run the project. For fusion to be viable, it will need to produce significantly more power and for longer.

We still got a long's way to go.

Still, congratulations to all those who are involved.(Edit: Especially to your son, Gee Wally)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yeah, so obviously an important milestone but still as the article says:

We still got a long's way to go.

Still, congratulations to all those who are involved.(Edit: Especially to your son, Gee Wally)

thanks.
he’s pretty excited. And yes it’s a first milestone. Whilst I make no claim to understanding it he does dumb it down for dear old Dad. 😁

He does the math computations and simulations calculations on the giant mirrors that concentrate the lasers .

He told me to think of the breakthrough like Kitteyhawk flight. Didnt last long but proved it can be done.
The site itself in Livermore is huge. For me like a city in itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad