Denmark: U-20 WC roster.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Great game last night.

I was very impressed with our blueliners. I think all of them raised to a level we really havent seen before for a Danish junior team. Keeping the personal errors to a bare minimum.

The forwards also did a fantastic job at keeping the Finnish players on the outside throughout the game.

You can argue that it might not be the most entertaining style of play, but we know our limits and our strenghts, extremely hardworking all of them. I hope there are scouts out there that still values work ethics and can see the value of it.

Blichfeld looks so confident with the puck out there, I really havent noticed him before on this level, but Sharks might have an unpolished 7th rounder gem here.

Thanks for the short recap on how our players performed, as I didn't see the game.
That our defense has improved to a level where they minimize mistakes is a huge improvement from what we have seen from earlier Danish youth teams.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
What a performance this team showed in all 4 games..cant even be mad about throwing the lead away vs switzerland because they played so well for large parts of that game also...

Its just a pleasure to watch the dedication put forward.

And we seem to evolve in so many positions...we are starting to produce much better backs to compliment our talented forwards and we seem to pull goalie talent in every tournament.
In 2015 we had George Sørensen and Lillie..in 2016 we had Lillie and Seldrup putting on good performances and this year both Pedersen and Krog has pulled out all the stops....

Really impressed with the work the clubs and the federation is doing.

Olaf Eller is making a great case to be in consideration for becoming Jannes replacement when he stops.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
What a performance this team showed in all 4 games..cant even be mad about throwing the lead away vs switzerland because they played so well for large parts of that game also...

Its just a pleasure to watch the dedication put forward.

And we seem to evolve in so many positions...we are starting to produce much better backs to compliment our talented forwards and we seem to pull goalie talent in every tournament.
In 2015 we had George Sørensen and Lillie..in 2016 we had Lillie and Seldrup putting on good performances and this year both Pedersen and Krog has pulled out all the stops....

Really impressed with the work the clubs and the federation is doing.

Olaf Eller is making a great case to be in consideration for becoming Jannes replacement when he stops.

Agree with all the points!
The amount of goalie depth these last three years is an unexpected development; so lets hope we finally also can start to bring in a steady crop of good defensemen!
This year has shown the best depth ever on a Danish youth team and excellent mentality and dedication - how can this even happen among "generation snowflake". :sarcasm:

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007

What are you talking about? Olaf Eller is going absolutely nowhere!

I demand that DIU give him a 20 year contract to coach the U20 team right away! :handclap::yo:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
What are you talking about? Olaf Eller is going absolutely nowhere!

I demand that DIU give him a 20 year contract to coach the U20 team right away! :handclap::yo:

Hehe if he keeps having tournaments like this, something in canada might come along...tsn has been praising him to high heaven...deservedly...he made these kids play like a team every year...

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The best placement yet, 2 wins over two of the top 6 teams and being competitive in almost every match...we keep improving and each year in different ways.. we will never know bit think that qf could have gone differently if krog was in the game from the start...it happens and i understand why there was arguments for having him start. He played really good vs the czechs..

Was impressed by the whole team but there were a lot of standouts.

Alexander True: has been interesting to have a player that ive seen for 3 tournaments in a row because you can really see the progression..and holy smokes...he was already wuite decent as a 16 year old but he really brought a commanding presence tp the ice...i really like his potential..really starting to see his dad in him now.

Mathias From: this seems raw but holy smokes he is flashy...super exciting and high energy play..makes a bunch of turnovers and mistakes but he also does plenty of steals and does s great job of rushing back when he makes mistakes..still seems raw but he is getting better, also defensively.

The defence: who didnt stand out?
I was at differrnt times impressed with weichel, Gatz Nielsen, oliver Larsen, and Matthias Røndbjerg..Really like weichel...seems like a captain.. big strong and fearless.

Goalies: Both were good until Pedersens mistakes in the qf...
Why krog has to be small?

Last edited:

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
IHWC U18 Division 1, Group A

We haven't had time to talk about it but now it is already here!

The Danish U-18 roster for the IIHF WM18IA:

Goaltenders:
William Rørth, Rødovre
Mads Søgaard, Esbjerg

Defencemen:
Mads Iversen, Aalborg
Christian Larsen, Odense
Malte Setkov, Malmö (SWE)
Jeppe Mogensen, AIK (SWE)
Daniel Andersen, Linköping (SWE)
Max Olesen, Herlev

Forwards:
Lucas Andersen, Rødovre
Andreas Grundtvig, Rødovre
Kristian Kragh, Herning
Asger Petersen, Odense
Emil Marcussen, Aalborg
Albert Præm, Olofström (SWE)
Gustav Green, Rungsted
Phillip Schultz, Rødovre
Christoffer Gath, Herlev
Oliver Reuter, Gentofte
Søren Dietz-Larsen, IK Oskarshamn (SWE)
Jonas Røndbjerg, Växjö Lakers HC (SWE)
David Madsen, Växjö Lakers HC (SWE)
Jakob Wittendorf, Vojens

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
It is actually a strong team in my opinion, and specially taken into consideration that this is a division 1 championship. I believe one of Denmark and Germany are the favorites to gain promotion this year. But as it is a short tournament, one bad game can suddenly turn everything upside down.

We got a strong goal tending duo. William Rørth has done well in the Danish 2nd tier and has been particularly good in the playoff, helping his team to reach the final. Mads Søgaard could be the next big Danish goalie prospect. He certainly got the size and technique to be so.

Like last year the defense is also very good this time. We got 3 good pairs with both size and smartness. If I should point to a weakness, it is that this defense is not as good offensively as the defense we had 2 years ago. In that regard it looks much more like last years team.

Also this year we have a lot of good forwards on the team. 5 of them also participated last year and 2 participated at the U20 WJC this winter, giving them a lot of valuable championship experience. The 2 top lines will prove dangerous for all opponents at this level, and the 2 bottom lines are capable at least in a shot down role.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Some really big surprises in the U18 div 1A

Norway beat Germany 6-5
France beat Denmark 4-2. (2-2 until the last 2 min).

More expected result, but still very close.
Kazakhstan beat Hungary 2-1

So this probably means that everyone can beat everyone this year?
But a very bad start for the Danish team.
Daniel Andersen & Jonas Røndbjerg scored for Denmark.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Danish preliminary roster for the upcoming U20 WJC

Goaltenders:

Albert Adamsen, Dauphin Kings (CAN)
Emil Gransøe, Topeka Roadrunners (USA)
Kasper Krog, SønderjyskE
Mads Søgaard, Austin Bruins (USA)
William Rørth, Rødovre Mighty Bulls

Defencemen:
Christian Larsen, Odense Bulldogs
Daniel Baastrup, Linköping HC (SWE)
Jakob Jessen, Herning Blue Fox
Jeppe Urup Mogensen, AIK (SWE)
Lasse Carlsen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Lasse Mortensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Mads Iversen, Aalborg Pirates
Malte Setkov, Malmö Redhawks (SWE)
Marco Petersen, SønderjyskE
Mikkel Persson, Jukurit (FIN)
Oliver Gatz, Herning Blue Fox
Oliver Larsen, Leksands IF (SWE)
Oscar Schulze, Gentofte Stars
Rasmus Heine, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Rasmus Mohr, SønderjyskE

Forwards:
Andreas Grundtvig, Esbjerg Energy
Asger Petersen, Odense Bulldogs
Christian Wejse, Esbjerg Energy
Christoffer Gath, Herlev Eagles
Daniel Nielsen, Herning Blue Fox
David Madsen, Växjo Lakers (SWE)
Gustav Green, Malmö Redhawks (SWE)
Jacob Svejstrup, Fargo Force (USA)
Joachim Blichfeld, Portland Winterhawks (USA)
Jonas Røndbjerg, Växjo Lakers (SWE)
Lucas Andersen, Jokerit (FIN)
Lukas Bach Nielsen, Zug (SUI)
Magnus Molge, Malmö Redhawks (SWE)
Marcus Pedersen, Frederikshavn White Hawks
Nikolaj Krag, HPK U20/LeKi (FIN)
Oliver Reuter, Gentofte Stars
Oliver True, Ottawa 67’s (CAN)
Phillip Schultz, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Simon Wiuff, Herning Blue Fox
Søren Dietz, IK Oskarshamn (SWE)
Valdemar Ahlberg, Austin Bruins (USA)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
So Oliver Gatz is on the roster - must means they plan to have his injury over with in time.
A team like last year with good depth, especially among forwards.
For defense getting Oliver Gatz ready will be important - since we look thinner there.

Emil Gransøe is doing quite well in NAHL at the moment (92% saves in 8 matches) as has Kasper Krog for SønderjydskE.
So goaltending seems good at this point as well.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
So Oliver Gatz is on the roster - must means they plan to have his injury over with in time.
A team like last year with good depth, especially among forwards.
For defense getting Oliver Gatz ready will be important - since we look thinner there.

On the contrary, I think it is looking very promising for the blueliners. Malte Setkov have had his debut in the SHL and is currently playing in a middle team in Allsvenskan and Oliver Larsen mixes between Allsvenskan and Superelit U20. If Oliver Gatz also gets ready, then we look strong imo. On the forward side I also think we look stronger than last year even though we have lost From, as long as Blichfeld returns from his concussion within time.

Hungry

May 15, 2017
On the contrary, I think it is looking very promising for the blueliners. Malte Setkov have had his debut in the SHL and is currently playing in a middle team in Allsvenskan and Oliver Larsen mixes between Allsvenskan and Superelit U20. If Oliver Gatz also gets ready, then we look strong imo. On the forward side I also think we look stronger than last year even though we have lost From, as long as Blichfeld returns from his concussion within time.

I agree with the assessment on the defence, if Gatz is healthy it looks to be strong again this year. Not sure I agree with your view on the forwards though. The usual Danish U20 at the top level has one line that can score and 3 that are fairly outmatched, whereas last year there were 2 lines that could generate offense (especially when From came back). This made a huge difference in their ability to compete, and even the bottom two lines didn't look completely out of place. For this year, the plus side is we're bringing back the entire second line from last year with a year more maturity. I'm not sold however on another line being able to consistently create scoring chances, though Lucas Andersen is producing nicely.

Also, Blichfeld returned from the concussion over the weekend and had 6 points in 2 games.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The Danish WJC roster has been reduced to 30, and the following players have been cut:

Defencemen:
Mads Iversen, Aalborg Pirates
Marco Petersen, SønderjyskE
Mikkel Persson, Jukurit (FIN)
Oliver Gatz, Herning Blue Fox
Oscar Schulze, Gentofte Stars
Rasmus Mohr, SønderjyskE

Forwards:
Gustav Green, Malmö Redhawks (SWE)
Marcus Pedersen, Frederikshavn White Hawks
Oliver Reuter, Gentofte Stars
Simon Wiuff, Herning Blue Fox
Søren Dietz, IK Oskarshamn (SWE)

Oliver Gatz is unfortunately still injured and will not participate. That is a serious blow to our blue line, where not least his offensive qualities will be missed.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The last cut before the U-20 national team leaves for USA has been made. The following players have been cut:

Goaltenders:
Albert Adamsen, Dauphin Kings (CAN)
William Rørth, Rødovre Mighty Bulls

Defencemen:
Daniel Baastrup, Linköping HC (SWE)

Forwards:
Lukas Bach Nielsen, Zug (SUI)

Personally I'm puzzled that Daniel Baastrup was cut, the rest of the players cut was less of a surprise.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
Personally I'm puzzled that Daniel Baastrup was cut, the rest of the players cut was less of a surprise.

Lack of size? Olaf Eller seems to prefer big d-men. Last WC Morten Jensen har little time on ice, though one would consider him a quite talented d-man. Btw who's Lasse L. Carlsen? Do the Rødovre roots of Olaf Eller show here?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Lack of size? Olaf Eller seems to prefer big d-men. Last WC Morten Jensen har little time on ice, though one would consider him a quite talented d-man. Btw who's Lasse L. Carlsen? Do the Rødovre roots of Olaf Eller show here?

Your guess is as good as mine, but as you write Lasse Carlsen was chosen in front of him which I also find very strange. I have the greatest respect for Olaf Eller, his results in the WJC are fantastic, but sometime he makes strange picks for his roster.

Sofaw

Jan 3, 2016
"We have strong offensive qualities, and we have tried to bring lots of physics into the D-men. It is our experience that we need the physics on the small rings in Canada, says Olaf Eller." (From Faceoff.dk - Google translation).

As I said could be the reason why Daniel Baastrup was cut from the roster.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Potential returnees from this years Worlds Juniors:

Goalie:
Mads Søgaard

Defenseman:
Lasse Mortensen
Malte Setkov
Jeppe Urup Mogensen
Christian Larsen

Forwards:
Phillip Schultz
Jonas Røndbjerg
Lucas Andersen
Andreas Grundtvig
Christoffer Gath
David Madsen

Some potential additions:
Goalies:
William Rørth
Albert Adamsen
Nicolai Kristiansen

Defenseman:
Daniel Baastrup Andersen
Max Vilstrup Olesen
Anton Hansen

Forwards:
Asger Petersen
Gustav Green
Oliver True
Victor Cubars
Sebastian Sørensen
Lukas Bach Nielsen

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Didnt have time to watch this year, but really nice that we were able to stay up again..looked like we got our asses kicked in a few games but surviving is all that matters...

Really amazing that we have stayed in the top 10 so long now. Amazing expirience for all players involved and the best shopping window they will ever get.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00