GDT: U-18 WJC Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I hate when games end in shootouts. Congrats to Team Russia, exciting team to watch. Also big acknowledgement to the crowd and Russian fans today, they seemed awesome. Great atmosphere for an U18 game.

Any team that fires that much rubber on the Russian net in a hostile environment deserves high marks
Should be a great final .
Congrats usa.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Preferably to play until a legit goal is scored...

Most of the guys are not even 18 yet, it was evident at the end of 10 minutes of extra time that they were already dead tired from all the running and hitting. This is not the level at which you can play overtimes until a legit goal is scored, I'm afraid...

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
----------------------------------------------------------------------

the Russians were outshot 50-29

Yes they were but it's just the typical Russian and USA shots... Russians still passed and looked for better opportunities to score while Americans mostly just shot the puck. In the end I don't think any team had more scoring chances. It was pretty equal.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Shestyorkin = words I can't use on here.... The shootout was horrible for him. He had no rebound control during the game. Constantly looking around for the puck. The states did a good job to exploit him, they just put the puck at the net and crash it, and it worked for them. Good job by the Russian forwards except for Bucnevich.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Most of the guys are not even 18 yet, it was evident at the end of 10 minutes of extra time that they were already dead tired from all the running and hitting. This is not the level at which you can play overtimes until a legit goal is scored, I'm afraid...

being tired 4 on 4 will lead to a goal more quickly... and in my opinion that is even more legit way to end a PO game than a shootout.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Love the play of the big guy Mike McCarron, he was in the face of the Russians all game, used his big body well, nothing extraordinary but his simple game proved effective.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I wouldn't call any team better here. USA probably had less diffucult game mentally as they weren't seen as favourites after the group stage while Russians had to face home crowd and the fact that they are probably the best Russian U18 in years. It was a great game. Americans were tougher mentally and yeah, they were better towards the end of the game but still... both very good teams. And even if Canada plays great too I see Americans getting another win at this level here.

The US may or may not have been favored, but I thought they thoroughly outplayed Russia in their first match as well. Nichushkin was missing the first meeting, but despite his magnificent goal to make it 2-1, the US did a pretty good job of bottling him up. I'll definitely be cheering for Team USA tomorrow!!

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Shestyorkin = words I can't use on here.... The shootout was horrible for him. He had no rebound control during the game. Constantly looking around for the puck. The states did a good job to exploit him, they just put the puck at the net and crash it, and it worked for them. Good job by the Russian forwards except for Bucnevich.

yep, had Serebryakov stayed in the MHL and gotten enough games in, he would have been a starter. I am not much impressed with Shestyorkin at times.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga

I'd say that the bigger problem was that Russian d-men couldn't clear the goal area and not Shestyorkin himself who had to face 57 shots. Shestyorkin has been good throughout the tournament and today's game probably places him at nr.2 as regards save percentage behind the Canadian goalie. Sure there were some bad rebounds but this is U18 we're talking about. American goalie certainly wasn't better in any regard in this game (except maybe shootout)

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Love the play of the big guy Mike McCarron, he was in the face of the Russians all game, used his big body well, nothing extraordinary but his simple game proved effective.

It should be interesting to see what happens if he can continue to get stronger. He made big strides this year in his offensive game from last year as well. Very similar right now to Jimmy Hayes.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Shestyorkin had a terrible game for Russia, no doubt. He kept flopping on his back, and the puck going under him. He's just a kid, so I don't want to be too critical of him, but I think the team got demoralized after some of his plays. He showed bad form by taunting that kid, especially when that was the only save he made in the Shootout.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

agreed.

he raised his draft stock more than it already has

I think Motte looked good, Malone looked real good and should get a decent bump draft day...

Compher was explosive at times, kid should be a sure-fire 1st rounder.

I also thought Butcher played pretty strong throughout the tourney. he made some bad passes at times, but the kid has risen from the ashes and should be picked possibly mid round.

I wanted to see more from Hayden and Evan Allen...both kids could have made a strong case for top 90 picks...Hayden still likely will with his size, but would have been nice to see a bit more from them both,.

Fasching looked good to me. He took a couple of bad penalties, but his butt was always around the net and was in the middle of a lot of action. no longer a top 30 player, but I can see a team getting him somewhere in the 2nd round as his size and skillset is just so raw right now.

Latgale_fan

Apr 13, 2007
Riga
Also I wonder how big an impact did today's circus with Nichushkin's possible trade to Dynamo Moscow (or him leaving for CHL) leave on him. He played good, though his defensive game could still be better.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I'd say that the bigger problem was that Russian d-men couldn't clear the goal area and not Shestyorkin himself who had to face 57 shots. Shestyorkin has been good throughout the tournament and today's game probably places him at nr.2 as regards save percentage behind the Canadian goalie. Sure there were some bad rebounds but this is U18 we're talking about. American goalie certainly wasn't better in any regard in this game (except maybe shootout)

You have a point. Shestyorkin had good games in the tournament, whereas the defense in front of him did not. It just seems to be the norm that the defense is going to give up a huge number of shots, although most of the shots were really low percentage efforts to try to create rebounds. The defense got overpowered in front, and Shestyorkin did a poor job of holding his ground, possibly because he is so small and the US looked really big.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how the U.S team reacts playing against a team who I would say plays similar to how they play. They really wore the Russians down as the game progressed by keeping the foot on the pedal and getting to the pucks first in the Russian zone, in the same manner how Canada has been generating lots of chances, but McDavid is the game breaker here, he'll get his chances like he did today and that could be a deciding factor in the final.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
I reccommend to watch game, it helps. ;)

Russia was outplayed for the majority of the game, was always under pressure. In 3rd USA dominated the play. Now you come here and tell us Russia was better. Remove the white-blue-red glasses. It helps.;)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Russia was outplayed for the majority of the game, was always under pressure. In 3rd USA dominated the play. Now you come here and tell us Russia was better. Remove the white-blue-red glasses. It helps.;)

Vorky switched off the game after two periods. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad