Boxing: Tyson vs Jones

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
It was gimmick to always be a draw if there was no knockdown or KO. They weren't gonna have anyone lose in a charity fight.

That said, Bring someone in for Tyson to actually fight. Jones held so much it would make Mayweather proud.

I say Tyson vs Evander 3! ;)

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
It was gimmick to always be a draw if there was no knockdown or KO. They weren't gonna have anyone lose in a charity fight.

That said, Bring someone in for Tyson to actually fight. Jones held so much it would make Mayweather proud.

I say Tyson vs Evander 3! ;)
Tyson vs. Holyfield 3 would be good.

Maybe Tyson can also fight Jake Paul?

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
I hope Connor takes the fight just to shut him up, though i doubt he will because there is no money in that fight.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This felt like two different fighters.

Roy Jones Jr. looked like he was there for a good time, to put on a show and fight for charity.

Tyson looked like he was there to kill.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
He beat Holmes, although Holmes was well past his prime at that point.

Boxing's answer to Lawrence Taylor? Tyson was comparable to him in off-the-field/ring antics. But Taylor is universally considered the greatest defensive player in NFL history. There are some who even consider him the greatest NFL player, period. Due to how much of an impact he made on the defensive side of the ball and he changed the way the game was played.

I agree with you though that Tyson is overrated as an all-time great.

0-3 against Lewis and Holyfield. Losing to Buster Douglas.

Yes he won a bunch of fights via 1st round KO in the 1980s. But most of those fights were against nobodies. Not real high-level boxers.

Tyson is an example of how hype, marketing, and nostalgia can create a sporting myth or legend that isn't supported by the evidence.

I'm a Giants fan. The hype around Tyson was like LT. Larger than life etc. I love LT as a player. Greatest Giant ever.

Yes he beat a 37-year-old Larry Holmes. Who else?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a Giants fan. The hype around Tyson was like LT. Larger than life etc. I love LT as a player. Greatest Giant ever.

Yes he beat a 37-year-old Larry Holmes. Who else?

Tyson beat many elite boxers. Tucker, Ruddock, Holmes, Spinks, Golota, Smith, Thomas, Berbick. These aren't nobodies. He lost to Douglas because Douglas fought the fight of his life. He lost to Holyfield because of hugging and headbutts.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
While I wouldn't put Tyson in the top 5 of greatest heavyweights, I think he is near the bottom of top 10, we never got to see prime Tyson take on Lewis and Holyfield.

Not saying the results would have been different, but Tyson was a shell when he came back in 1995, and by the time he faced Lewis he was a joke.

Now had he fought Evander in the late 80s or early 90s like he should have, would it have been different? We'll never know.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To the other posts, yes 37 is old for a boxer. Sure you have exceptions and George Foreman won the title in his early 40s but 37 in 1988 is different from 37 in 2020.

Holmes didn't box for nearly two years when he fought Tyson and he was in the middle of the worst losing streak of his career.

It's fun to fantasize 86-90 Tyson beat all the greats, but he never did.

I love the guy. Big part of my childhood, but the video game put him in the same conversation as the top 5-7.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
It was a pretty "weak" heavyweight division when Tyson was going through it no? I mean, he fought the champions. I don't know if he really ducked anyone. Had he beaten Douglas then Holyfield was next.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It was a pretty "weak" heavyweight division when Tyson was going through it no? I mean, he fought the champions. I don't know if he really ducked anyone. Had he beaten Douglas then Holyfield was next.

It was as weak as it was during Holmes' era, but Tyson just blew through everyone and made everyone look bad. He ducked Lewis before fighting Holyfield.

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
It was as weak as it was during Holmes' era, but Tyson just blew through everyone and made everyone look bad. He ducked Lewis before fighting Holyfield.
Probably smart to duck Lewis at that point in his career. I know he fought him later, but that fight was crap and Tyson was washed up. Sometimes i wish we could see prime fighters fight each other from different era's. It would be fun.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't know if you can properly judge Tyson based on what he did from Holyfield onward.

Remember, this dude went through a period of over 4 years without a fight. He ain't no Ali to be able to come back the same after a layoff like that. He also dealt with his own personal issues and the dreaded scum of the earth, Don King.

Is he amongst the greatest of all time? I certainly have him in my top-10. But I also don't believe he's better than Ali, Frazier, Foreman, or even Lennox Lewis.

Reactions: HurricaneFanatic

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I have been a boxing fan since the 70s. On his best day I would take Tyson vs. Anyone. Early Tyson was an absolute menace. His personal problems got to him and never let go till after retirement so certainly his legacy is tarnished...but the anticipation for a Tyson fight was pretty unparalleled.

His was an extremely weak era of heavyweights. I don't see him beating Ali, Foreman or Lewis in their primes. Frazier vs. Tyson would've been an interesting fight as neither was overly big, but could hit hard and kept going forward.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It's kinda obvious why Jake Paul is "calling out" McGregor, a McGregor-Paul "fight" would be enough to set up Paul for life, just like the Mayweather-McGregor fight did for McGregor. McGregor would obviously beat the shit out of him but would take it easy for the majority of the fight just like Mayweather did for him. But Paul isn't anywhere near the draw like McGregor was, so Conor will rightfully laugh at him.
There's no way that fight ever happens. Connor has nothing to gain by taking it. That said McGregor is a dick and would go in there in maul him. I highly doubt he would play nice and take it easy.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Tyson beat many elite boxers. Tucker, Ruddock, Holmes, Spinks, Golota, Smith, Thomas, Berbick. These aren't nobodies. He lost to Douglas because Douglas fought the fight of his life. He lost to Holyfield because of hugging and headbutts.
A lot of those fighters you mentioned weren't great fighters. They weren't world champion material.

Except Holmes and Spinks. But both of them were well past their prime when they fought Tyson. Holmes was old and Spinks was only doing it for the paycheque.

Holyfield outboxed him badly in their fights. As did Douglas.

They figured out that patience and a good jab would beat Tyson.

Tyson couldn't fight a technical fight and couldn't fight past the 3rd round. Douglas and Holyfield showed this.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
His was an extremely weak era of heavyweights. I don't see him beating Ali, Foreman or Lewis in their primes. Frazier vs. Tyson would've been an interesting fight as neither was overly big, but could hit hard and kept going forward.
I think Frazier would have beaten Tyson.

Both could throw bombs. But Frazier is one of the best at taking punishment that I have ever seen. And he had superior stamina.

I could see Frazier beating Tyson in a late round TKO.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
There's no way that fight ever happens. Connor has nothing to gain by taking it. That said McGregor is a dick and would go in there in maul him. I highly doubt he would play nice and take it easy.
It would be a social come up if he kicks the crap out of a way bigger douche than himself. Like don't even promote or talk shit, just go in there and beat his ass. I would lol

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
A lot of those fighters you mentioned weren't great fighters. They weren't world champion material.

Except Holmes and Spinks. But both of them were well past their prime when they fought Tyson. Holmes was old and Spinks was only doing it for the paycheque.

Holyfield outboxed him badly in their fights. As did Douglas.

They figured out that patience and a good jab would beat Tyson.

Tyson couldn't fight a technical fight and couldn't fight past the 3rd round. Douglas and Holyfield showed this.

A lot of those fighters I mentioned would have been champion if not for Tyson. Tucker was undefeated before Tyson, same with Spinks. Berbick was champion before Tyson beat him. Holyfield and Douglas outboxed him, but it wasn't a jab for Holyfield, it was tactics like hugging and headbutting.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Tyson beat many elite boxers. Tucker, Ruddock, Holmes, Spinks, Golota, Smith, Thomas, Berbick.

LOL about Golota. That was a terrible gutless fighter.

Mike was always gonna struggle against Holy and Lewis, because he sparred with them at one point which allowed them to realize both his weaknesses and strengths, and how to avoid/neutralize the latter in favor of capitalizing on the former.

Lennox actually discussed this with Joe Rogan, remembering the first time he got to spar with Mike, he got battered, but as the sessions lasted, he slowly realized how to fight him, which drove Cus really angry, as he yelled at Mike "what are you doing?! Do you realize you may meet him in the pro ring eventually?!"

By the time he met Evan Fields, he was long past his best, and the fact Holyfield may have been roided probably did not help, either.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
LOL about Golota. That was a terrible gutless fighter.

Mike was always gonna struggle against Holy and Lewis, because he sparred with them at one point which allowed them to realize both his weaknesses and strengths, and how to avoid/neutralize the latter in favor of capitalizing on the former.

Lennox actually discussed this with Joe Rogan, remembering the first time he got to spar with Mike, he got battered, but as the sessions lasted, he slowly realized how to fight him, which drove Cus really angry, as he yelled at Mike "what are you doing?! Do you realize you may meet him in the pro ring eventually?!"

By the time he met Evan Fields, he was long past his best, and the fact Holyfield may have been roided probably did not help, either.

Golota's fame came from him smashing Bowe but being DQ'd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad