Tyler Wright: Red Wings trying to be trend setters at draft

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
It just seems to me there's a weird implication to the idea that the Wings are trying to be trendsetters instead of following current trends. The reason the current trend is the current trend is because that's what is working in the NHL right now, and other teams want to duplicate it. So it seems to me that the Wings are sort of implicitly admitting that they're not drafting the kind of guys who would be the most successful with the way the game is played right now. But they're hoping the style of play changes, and the trend along with it, which could mean they're one of the only teams poised to take advantage of this new style of play.

But is the league really going back to big, physical, defensive hockey? I don't really see that. The game is less and less physical every year. I suppose the Wings think this could give them an advantage, because they'd be one of the few big, physical teams around. But the game isn't less physical because it's magically unpopular, it's less physical because (1) that stuff is called a ton more/garners suspensions much more often, and (2) the entire hockey world is re-evaluating the place physical contact should even have in the game. Is this really a smart gamble for the Wings? I just don't think so.

And if the Wings are building a team around drafting big, defensive players, but not necessarily physical ones... what style of play are they even envisioning? The new dead puck era? If that's management's vision for the future, I might have to re-evaluate how I feel about Red Wings hockey.

You seem to be making a whole bunch of ludicrous assumptions (highlighted in bold) about how the Red Wings are approaching things.

I don't think ANYONE (you, me, other members of this board, Red Wings management) is saying they should draft big players with no skill. To say that is the case or going to be the case is simply disingenuous.

Mantha is big, but not lacking skill. Even Rasmussen, who everyone hates, doesn't lack skill. The biggest defenseman picks of the last few years (Chowloski, Hronek, Saarijarvi) are not big and do not lack skill...in fact, if anything, it's the exact opposite.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The ONLY question we should be asking Is, did we pass on a more skilled player for a player with more size or character?

That's all that matters

If the answer is no then who cares

If the answer is yes then thats a that's big big problem

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland has been building this team on role players for a long time now, so I'm not surprised the guy in charge of the draft is following suit. This team needs skill in all areas, if Holland and Wright think that drafting a bunch of role players is the way to build a championship team, they'll be disappointed.

Reactions: odin1981

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Where are you going with this? The Red Wings haven't had a shot at elite players in the draft in the last 20 years. There were no "elite players" (that were simply small/skilled) available at #9 last year if that's what you mean. The Red Wings didn't pass up drafting an elite player to draft a big dude.

Lots of really good teams have found elite players in later rounds, the Wings haven't drafted or developed an elite player in a long time. The Wings haven't drafted a defenseman who has scored more than 20 points in a season in 20 years. The Wings drafting has been average at best for a long time, virtually every team in the league can find secondary scoring and role players in the draft. The excuse of not drafting high is over now, so the Wings need to start finding players who can be drafted and become an every day impact player within 2-3 years. The time of waiting 5-7 years after a player is drafted to get into a prominent role is over.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You seem to be making a whole bunch of ludicrous assumptions (highlighted in bold) about how the Red Wings are approaching things.

I don't think ANYONE (you, me, other members of this board, Red Wings management) is saying they should draft big players with no skill. To say that is the case or going to be the case is simply disingenuous.

Mantha is big, but not lacking skill. Even Rasmussen, who everyone hates, doesn't lack skill. The biggest defenseman picks of the last few years (Chowloski, Hronek, Saarijarvi) are not big and do not lack skill...in fact, if anything, it's the exact opposite.
But what trend are the Wings setting, then? I was trying to figure that out. Why are the Wings trying to do things differently from the rest of the league? What will it mean if the trend doesn't go the way the Wings hope? What if they can't make "fetch" happen?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You mean the two players that made their respective world junior teams?

Big f***ing deal.
They don't skate well. They don't play offensively. They're not physical.

Based on what I saw at the WJ Showcase, neither guy will make the NHL.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Holland has been building this team on role players for a long time now, so I'm not surprised the guy in charge of the draft is following suit. This team needs skill in all areas, if Holland and Wright think that drafting a bunch of role players is the way to build a championship team, they'll be disappointed.
Holland is so delusional he keeps drafting character players instead of elite talent, Elite talent is what wins you championships not character players.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Big ****ing deal.

Kotkansalo has some offense to him, from what I’ve seen. Moves the puck well and had some nice assists for Finland last year at the WJC. Had no issue with that particular pick.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Big ****ing deal.

Well if you saw it at the WJ Showcase I guess that's it. They should just quit hockey. No player ever made the NHL who wasn't highly impressive at the WJ Showcase.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Holland is so delusional he keeps drafting character players instead of elite talent, Elite talent is what wins you championships not character players.

Yup. Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader work harder than Phil Kessel or Ryan Getzlaf ever will. At the end of the day though there needs to be a balance

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I haven't been too impressed with our scouting dept in quite some time. Larkin, AA, and Mantha are the only picks I really like over the past few drafts.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Well if you saw it at the WJ Showcase I guess that's it. They should just quit hockey. No player ever made the NHL who wasn't highly impressive at the WJ Showcase.

Little things like skating, offensive ability and physicality are hard to miss.

You know who stood out?
Liljegren.
Dahlin.
A kid named David Farrance (defenseman drafted by, who else, Nashville).
There's nothing "sneaky" about their skill or ability. In a best on best tournament, they stood out.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
You draft Elite talent when you win the lottery.

Other picks will mostly go for strengthening the core and indentity.

Fedorov.
Lidstrom.
Konstantinov.
Datsyuk.
Zetterberg.
Forsberg.
Hull.
Sakic.
Bergeron
Kopitar.
Keith.
Seabrook.
Hossa.
Kucherov.
Giroux.
Gaudreau.
Scheifele.
Tarasenko.
Pastrnak.
Marchand.
Benn.
OEL.
Subban.
Weber.

How many elite superstar players outside of the top 3 do you need?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad