Confirmed with Link: Tyler Wall signs ELC

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I can't think of a better surname for a goalie.

I suppose his nickname will have to be "Brick", eh?

its gonna be Wally like all other hockey nicknames...and no not Wall- E, like wally as in leave it to beaver's brother LOL

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I get it but I'm talking more at an organizational level 50 player contract wheelhouse and domino effect.

We were going to add another goalie regardless. Berube's contract is up at the end of this season (whenever this season ends). Of course, we still need to sign one more for expansion draft purposes. Maybe we re-sign Berube to a 2 year, 2-way deal, with a bump in his minor league salary, and split his time between the ECHL and AHL depending on injuries and how Wall/Huska are playing. If not him, then I'm sure we can find someone who won't mind riding buses for 2 years for a better paycheck.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
its gonna be Wally like all other hockey nicknames...and no not Wall- E, like wally as in leave it to beaver's brother LOL

NHL nicknames are so boring haha

Staalsy
Kreids
Stromer
Kleiner
Stammer
Kaner
G
Geno
Sid
Ovi

The person designing the old Libyan flag was more creative than this :laugh:

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We were going to add another goalie regardless. Berube's contract is up at the end of this season (whenever this season ends). Of course, we still need to sign one more for expansion draft purposes. Maybe we re-sign Berube to a 2 year, 2-way deal, with a bump in his minor league salary, and split his time between the ECHL and AHL depending on injuries and how Wall/Huska are playing. If not him, then I'm sure we can find someone who won't mind riding buses for 2 years for a better paycheck.

And maybe they trade for a goalie under contract next February, or one who is a pending RFA, since the goalie exposed doesn’t technically need to be under contract, just not a pending UFA. It’s possible they bring in a qualifying goalie before next season, but it’s not a lock.

Reactions: Thirty One

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Having Wall or Huska spend time in Maine is not a big deal. Having skaters down in the ECHL, that's more of a red flag. Goalies? So many good NHL goalies have spent time in the ECHL, for just the reasons were describing. Limited positional opportunity.

It's also possible that Huska who kinda fell apart as the season went on ends up needing to go to Maine as it is. Or that Wall needs to be there because he's not ready yet to play professionally.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Having Wall or Huska spend time in Maine is not a big deal. Having skaters down in the ECHL, that's more of a red flag. Goalies? So many good NHL goalies have spent time in the ECHL, for just the reasons were describing. Limited positional opportunity.

It's also possible that Huska who kinda fell apart as the season went on ends up needing to go to Maine as it is. Or that Wall needs to be there because he's not ready yet to play professionally.

Definitely true that Huska wasn't able to carry the load once Igor was called up to the big club. Let's see if he's marinated a little with the time off, reflection, and hopefully some type of training whether in Connecticut or Slovakia. Sometimes NCAA players need a year and change to get acclimated to the pro game.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Given the ages of the Ranger goaltenders (ex. Henrik) and their RFA/UFA status in coming years, I fully expect the Rangers will pick a goaltender this year, perhaps as high as the third round.

There are some interesting goalies they can target.

Joel Blomqvist is one I would really like to add to our depth chart

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Great news!! Solid depth in keeper. This almost is certain, to me, that NYR grabs another project keeper in this year's draft.

Just not in the 2nd round for heavens. Russia seems to be becoming a goalie factory lately - wouldn’t mind a kid or two plucked from there in the mid-late rounds.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Just not in the 2nd round for heavens. Russia seems to be becoming a goalie factory lately - wouldn’t mind a kid or two plucked from there in the mid-late rounds.

Good news! We don't have a 2nd round pick. We do have two 3rd rounders, but I'd rather not use them on a goalie. Lundqvist was a 7th and Shesty was a 4th. We've got 6 picks from the 4th round on. Use one of those to grab a goalie.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I saw a mock that had the Rangers picking him in the third round

I would be okay with that. Not happy, not upset. I think it's a bit high for a goalie as I firmly believe a goalie shouldn't be drafted before the 4th round, but Blomqvist is the best goalie prospect in Europe after Askarov IMO

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Just imagine for one second that you are, beyond a shadow of a doubt the BEST player for any particular year........as a goaltender with absolutely NO chance of ever being picked 1OA. Seems a bit unfair.

On another note, we need to find a player with the surname of "Brick".

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Just imagine for one second that you are, beyond a shadow of a doubt the BEST player for any particular year........as a goaltender with absolutely NO chance of ever being picked 1OA. Seems a bit unfair.

On another note, we need to find a player with the surname of "Brick".

I've said this before, but positions matter in the draft. To me, the goalie position is similar to a punter or kicker in the NFL when it comes to the draft. Now, I am not saying goalies aren't important, but you are far more likely to find good goalies late in the draft than you are to find good centers, wingers, defensemen late in the draft. For that reason, I would never draft a goalie high. You use your high picks to fill positions you are far less likely to fill in later rounds.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and egelband

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Signing Wall doesn't at all impact the situation in New York. They signed a prospect they invested time, money and resource in for 4 years.

I more or less meant that I wouldn't put it past Gorton to move Georgiev around the draft if he had a good enough offer. Certainly wouldn't mind adding a 2nd rounder (and whatever else) being that we don't have one.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Good news! We don't have a 2nd round pick. We do have two 3rd rounders, but I'd rather not use them on a goalie. Lundqvist was a 7th and Shesty was a 4th. We've got 6 picks from the 4th round on. Use one of those to grab a goalie.

Definitely a lot to be had at later on. Devon Levi is a good get for sure!!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I've said this before, but positions matter in the draft. To me, the goalie position is similar to a punter or kicker in the NFL when it comes to the draft. Now, I am not saying goalies aren't important, but you are far more likely to find good goalies late in the draft than you are to find good centers, wingers, defensemen late in the draft. For that reason, I would never draft a goalie high. You use your high picks to fill positions you are far less likely to fill in later rounds.
Plus, a team really needs just one good one at any given time. Having a ton of good goalies, certainly not a bad thing, but it’s diminishing returns after the first one.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I more or less meant that I wouldn't put it past Gorton to move Georgiev around the draft if he had a good enough offer. Certainly wouldn't mind adding a 2nd rounder (and whatever else) being that we don't have one.
Now that cap hit is more important than ever, Georgiev should have a boost in his value. Assuming a team sees Georgiev as a starter, his cap hit will be super attractive.

Reactions: charliemurphy

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This would be truly awesome warmup music for Wall.

(Even better if he doesn’t finish his degree)

Reactions: Leetch3

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I thought he was a lock to sign elsewhere?

Anyway, glad to have him on board. If Huska doesn't step it up, he could find himself in Maine next year, even if Georgiev is dealt.

I don't think I or anyone else ever said he was a lock to sign elsewhere. Just that no one would or should begrudge him if he did. I would think about it if I was in his shoes, but I can totally see why he'd want to stay with the organization as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad