Confirmed with Link: Tyler Toffoli for 1st, 5th, Pitlick, Heineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Another important thing to note is while Toffoli lead Montreal in even strength scoring, he did it in only 13:42 of even strength ice time. That’s pretty much the equivalent on our team of a player who bounces between the 2nd and 3rd line. We shouldn’t be too worried about his offense going down due to a “reduced role”, and he may have a chance to be our most productive forward outside the big 3.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Another important thing to note is while Toffoli lead Montreal in even strength scoring, he did it in only 13:42 of even strength ice time. That’s pretty much the equivalent on our team of a player who bounces between the 2nd and 3rd line. We shouldn’t be too worried about his offense going down due to a “reduced role”, and he may have a chance to be our most productive forward outside the big 3.

He should also really help that second pp unit

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The only complaint I have is I wish we had gotten Eichel but that boat has sailed
2020 hindsight but you can’t really blame Treliving for this once we now see how that trade has worked out for Buffalo. They got a 25 year old in Tuch who is over a point per game right now, a prospect in Krebs who is already providing great results in the NHL right now at 20, and most importantly only took 5.5M in cap hit. Lowest we could offered sounded like it was in the 8s, and we don’t really have a single young player of any caliber close to Tuch or Krebs at their cap hit. You can talk about how on paper we could’ve thrown something together, but their scouts obviously did a great job at identifying amazing pieces they wanted.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
200.webp

I think it's OK. Would have preferred using that 1st to get an impact rental at the deadline, but there's something to be said about getting it done early. Treliving did not want to be left without a dance partner again this year.

Least TT can shoot and is a RHS. Those two boxes checked. Very reasonable cap hit. His speed is concerning, especially if they're looking to play him with Monahan.
His lack of speed is more than concerning.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Love the trade. Was worried we would be giving up a top 5 prospect, Flames didnt. 1st rounder will be a low one at best.

Reactions: Mitts

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Considering they did that to us I don't think they would suffer the same fate
Honestly that round wasnt as lopsided as the series score seemed. Avs scored goals with their goalie pulled twice and won both in OT, that couldve easily went the other way, and that was with our top line not doing jack. I bet we win the series if Compher didnt score that goal with the goalie pulled and we go up 2-0. They dominated game 3 and 5 and made it seem like we werent even close, but we shouldve won the other 3 but imploded in 2 of em.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Enjoy Toffoli. He's a great player and a great person. He was a pleasure to watch. I'm sad we're losing him but I'm glad he's getting another shot in the playoffs.

Good luck guys!

i know you guys might lament Heineman, but I think you guys will be ok. Last time you guys targeted a flames player because of a video, you got Paul Byron. Last time Gorton targeted a flames draft pick aggressively, Adam Fox.

Heinemen is far down on our prospect list, but a huge reason for that is we have too many LW and near maturation prospects. I think his game reminds me in bits and pieces of Hathaway, Mangiapane and even Dube. That's a solid middle 6 or bottom 6 if he pans out.

Most of his skills I think will translate. The question is whether the entire package of what he's doing in the SHL will translate.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Hey guys! Congrats on a solid season!

When do you expect Toffoli to make his debut?

Thsnks, and good luck the rest of the season!

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
With those late picks, I can agree with the premise that each on its own is essentially a lotto ticket. That’s all the more reason you need lots of lotto tickets. You shed too many of them and all of a sudden you stop winning the lotto.
Can't win the lotto if you don't have any tickets.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Seems Toffoli is in tonight with Mony and Dube.

Ooo. Exciting!

I think that 3rd line is going to be dangerous. When I watched the previous few games, I found that the 3rd line seemed dangerous enough without Ritchie. Ritchie though kept ending up on the LW side or flubbing clearing attempts or passes more than the other guys on that line which caused additional internal pressure in our D zone. I didn't really even notice him being physical. Monahan I found did a bit of puck retrieval, sandpaper and a lot of skating to the front of the net for a few good attempts, but no points.

I think we will see Monahan do a lot more play making with a guy like Toffoli on his line. TBH, one of the odd things I am starting to see in Monahan is almost Backlund~esque. Except Monahan is slower with slower line mates. Backlund has some decently fast to average line mates which seems to amplify the difference in opportunities and break downs.

I wanted to like Ritchie and was hoping for something like a Hathaway lite or some muscle in the bottom 6 or if by some hockey miracle a Ferland... but he's basically like a late career Brouwer or Glencross out there.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Glad to see Vladar playing tonight. All this sitting isn't good for him and I worry about Sutter over working Markstrom by the time playoffs begin.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Ooo. Exciting!

I think that 3rd line is going to be dangerous. When I watched the previous few games, I found that the 3rd line seemed dangerous enough without Ritchie. Ritchie though kept ending up on the LW side or flubbing clearing attempts or passes more than the other guys on that line which caused additional internal pressure in our D zone. I didn't really even notice him being physical. Monahan I found did a bit of puck retrieval, sandpaper and a lot of skating to the front of the net for a few good attempts, but no points.

I think we will see Monahan do a lot more play making with a guy like Toffoli on his line. TBH, one of the odd things I am starting to see in Monahan is almost Backlund~esque. Except Monahan is slower with slower line mates. Backlund has some decently fast to average line mates which seems to amplify the difference in opportunities and break downs.

I wanted to like Ritchie and was hoping for something like a Hathaway lite or some muscle in the bottom 6 or if by some hockey miracle a Ferland... but he's basically like a late career Brouwer or Glencross out there.
The benefits of Toffoli on that line should be exponential. They took the 3rd most important guy and replaced him with an offensive focal point. That is such a massive difference, in my mind. Monahan now goes from THE guy to the #2, same for Dube with 2 -> 3. Just the internal trickle-down idea on that line is real nice to think about. As you said, the additional clears from a defensively responsible winger, the added pressure, the greater threat for d-men to respect, it's all gonna serve to create at least a little time and space for guys like Dube and Monahan.

Plus they're gonna go from realistically needing to pass between themselves or else Ritchie kills a play to a guy that just... makes a play and can score more than anything. It goes from a complete blackhole on that right side to a shining, top titty star. And that's before looking at the goals added over Ritchie in the overall lineup scheme in terms of creating advantageous matchups for the Flames in being able to take advantages of icings and the like. Just all around exciting to have the option of having this type of player outside of the top 6

Reactions: Fig

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Center depth can get pretty overrated. Most of the best 1-2 punches like Matthews-Tavares, Crosby-Malkin, McDavid-Draisaitl, Backstrom-Kuznetsov all haven't been out of the 1st round in a couple years. Point-Stamkos is pretty damn good but not exactly the key to Tampa's success, more of a supplemental factor.

Vegas and the Islanders have made a bunch of conference finals with average at best C groups. Montreal was in the final last year with Suzuki-Danault. Pretty comparable to Lindholm-Backlund.

Would I have rather landed Pavelski or Giroux? Sure yeah maybe but they have a say in where they go and neither are under contract for another two years either. Probably would have been more expensive as well. The Flames have lacked a top 6 scoring right winger basically since the day Iginla was traded. Tre has finally looked to have patched that hole.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Boy that guy is slow.. ;)

Hartley says: The fastest object on the ice is the puck.

Skating helps as we all know, but as Jagr once said, (paraphrased) positioning, puck protection and puck movement is more important.

Reactions: Canadienna

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Center depth can get pretty overrated. Most of the best 1-2 punches like Matthews-Tavares, Crosby-Malkin, McDavid-Draisaitl, Backstrom-Kuznetsov all haven't been out of the 1st round in a couple years. Point-Stamkos is pretty damn good but not exactly the key to Tampa's success, more of a supplemental factor.

Vegas and the Islanders have made a bunch of conference finals with average at best C groups. Montreal was in the final last year with Suzuki-Danault. Pretty comparable to Lindholm-Backlund.

Would I have rather landed Pavelski or Giroux? Sure yeah maybe but they have a say in where they go and neither are under contract for another two years either. Probably would have been more expensive as well. The Flames have lacked a top 6 scoring right winger basically since the day Iginla was traded. Tre has finally looked to have patched that hole.

Idk about that. Pittsburgh won 3 cups with Crosby-Malkin, Boston had Krejci-Bergeron, LA had Kopitar-Carter, etc. Chicago probably had the weakest centre depth of the cup winners in the 2010s, but they had an absolutely stacked defense and winger group to go with that. Calgary could follow that model, but generally speaking depth at centre matters.

Tampa had a 1-2-3 of Point-Cirelli-Gourde when they won the cup. Point>>Lindholm, Cirelli>=Backlund, Gourde>>>>>Monahan. Kucherov and Hedman also helped too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad