Speculation: Tyler Myers

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
There's an interesting debate taking place on the main board, about 23 yr old Tyler Myers. He had a great rookie season in 2009-2010: 11g, 37 a.
He's regressed badly since then according to Sabre fans.

They said he'd been paired up with Tallinder in 2009-2010. The team has tried a bunch of different defensive partners since Tallinder left, but Myers play has declined.

The Sabres gave him a $10m signing bonus and he has a multi yr deal, that averages $5m per. At 6'8 he is a very good skater. Someone negatively compared his lack of physical play, skating ability and size to Boumeester.

If this kid can get his level of play back to what it was in 2009-2010, he'll be worth that $5m per. If he doesn't, the Sabres will have gambled on potential with that contract and lost.

Isles have Streit becoming a ufa this summer and his $4.1m salary will be freed up.
I'm not sure Myers is available, just wondering if Snow should at least be kicking the tires on Myers, seeing if he's available?

Or is that contract too big a risk, for a team that's gotta spend wisely?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
There's an interesting debate taking place on the main board, about 23 yr old Tyler Myers. He had a great rookie season in 2009-2010: 11g, 37 a.

They said he'd been paired up with Tallinder in 2009-2010. The team has tried a bunch of different defensive partners since Tallinder left, but Myers play has declined.

The Sabres gave him a $10m signing bonus and he has a multi yr deal, that averages $5m per. At 6'8 he is a very good skater. Someone negatively compared his lack of physical play, skating ability and size to Boumeester.

If this kid can get his level of play back to what it was in 2009-2010, he'll be worth that $5m per. If he doesn't, the Sabres will have gambled on potential with that contract and lost.

Isles have Streit becoming a ufa this summer and his $4.1m salary will be freed up.
I'm not sure Myers is available, just wondering if Snow should at least be kicking the tires on Myers, seeing if he's available?

Yup, unless of course it's incentive laden, those are the types of contracts Wang loves.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't know about the contract, might be doable if Streit doesn't stay....BUT I can guarantee that Garth will look at it as he is taking a monstrous salary off the Sabres hands and helping them out so what they get in return will equate to a bag of used practice pucks and DPs locks when he looks in the mirror and realizes how bad they look.

If the Isles have to return anything of value Snow will not do it...

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
If KO can't get his **** together by seasons end...

Okposo for Myers straight up

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If KO can't get his **** together by seasons end...

Okposo for Myers straight up

There are a bunch of players off to 2-4 pt starts in the first 7/8 games:B. Shenn, Kessel, Clowe, Stastny, J. Carter, Briere, Giriox(sp), Voracek, Couturier, Seguin, Ovie among them.

Just imagine if KO were making the $6.6m Stastny makes or the $9m+ that Ovie makes. Isle fan would really have some reason to whine;)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yup, unless of course it's incentive laden, those are the types of contracts Wang loves.

I could be wrong, but I think that $10m bonus covered the bonuses in his deal and that was paid before the lockout started. I guess Myers and his rep, didn't want to risk the new cba rolling back salaries or limiting bonuses.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

He's worth taking a look at as their whole D unit is struggling. Jordan Leopold is playing at a Mike Mottau level. They actually need a new coach because it looks like they're tuning Ruff out, so it may be system related and not all Myers fault.

I would not include a 1st this year in any trades however since any team out of the playoffs can move into the number one spot if they lose the lottery. Seth Jones for Myers would come back and haunt us.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I gotta be honest, I have never been a Myers guy.... That being said I would take him but I wouldnt give up much...

jdr016

Mar 4, 2007
To put it in perspective, Myers is making almost $ 4M more than Crosby and Malkin this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad