Value of: Tyler Johnson 2 mil Retained

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Or just future considerations. At $3M/yr, TJ is within fair contract range... but with this offseason you can get more value for your money and not have a 4 year contract.
True enough.
The term could also be considered a plus once the regular salary inflation rates return.

Reactions: voxel

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
In non-Covid times to take on a 6m cap on a 1 year deal was a 1st round pick.

Now teams have no money and this is a multi year deal that no one wants.

Shouldn't there be discussions around multiple picks and prospects to take on Johnson.
But Johnson is still a middle 6 player. He's just not worth 5M. At 3M he definitely has a positive value, or maybe neutral if we get desperate. But it doesn't matter because we probably overpay to get rid of his whole cap hit.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
They'd get a pick back at that price. Not a first but some team would offer a pick for TJ at 3 million. 4 years is kinda long considering there are cheaper options on market but he is still a middle 6 guy

Reactions: NatoGhost

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
In non-Covid times to take on a 6m cap on a 1 year deal was a 1st round pick.

Now teams have no money and this is a multi year deal that no one wants.

Shouldn't there be discussions around multiple picks and prospects to take on Johnson.
I think the fact that Marleau wouldn't play for Carolina and it was a deal for a straight buyout really compromised his value and tied the Leafs hands. If Marleau were willing to play and had something to contribute, the price for dumping his contract would likely have been quite a bit lower than it was.

Furthermore, the Leafs couldn't even pay Marleau's signing bonus before the deal was made because the buyout window closed before the bonus was due.

The Leafs were really in a bad spot dumping Marleau's contract, and I don't think it forms a fair comparison for the price of a cap dump where the player is willing to play and actually adds value.

Reactions: CanuckCity and qqaz

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
But Johnson is still a middle 6 player. He's just not worth 5M. At 3M he definitely has a positive value, or maybe neutral if we get desperate. But it doesn't matter because we probably overpay to get rid of his whole cap hit.
Toffoli just signed for 4 years at 4.25M.

He is more than 1.25M better and younger than Johnson.

Namestnikov signed 2 year 2M.

He is still negative at 3M 4 years, just not as comically and unmoveably negative as he is without retention.

Regardless, after getting waived, I imagine any willingness he had to waive his NTC for those 7-8 teams may be gone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like the perfect fit for a Tyler Johnson disposal scenario would be Seattle. He’s from the Pacific Northwest and a sweetener via pick would be the perfect way to grease the wheels for a team that could use Johnson and has the cap space. Unfortunately there’s a one year gap here and it’s not obvious to me whom would be the ideal Johnson destination.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Feels like the perfect fit for a Tyler Johnson disposal scenario would be Seattle. He’s from the Pacific Northwest and a sweetener via pick would be the perfect way to grease the wheels for a team that could use Johnson and has the cap space. Unfortunately there’s a one year gap here and it’s not obvious to me whom would be the ideal Johnson destination.
I don't think it's certain that there will be a one-year gap.

There is no agreement on when the 2020-21 season will begin or end, if there is a 2020-21 season at all.

It is entirely possible that the Tampa Bay Lightning might draw the "ADVANCE DIRECTLY TO GO" card and start the 2021-22 season, after the expansion draft, without an intervening 2020-21 season at all.

In this situation, patience is a virtue.

Last edited:

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
from what I've seen in the past few week, on top of that 2M retention, TB will have give away multiple high picks to get rid of this contract... Good luck to them on fixing their roster for the 2020/21 season

Reactions: NB613

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
4 yrs is too long. Retaining don’t change it.
eh, I disagree with this. I think at 2-3 mil he actually is pretty fair value even if the term is long. If Minnesota had more roster space and Tampa added a sweetener(just because of the flat cap and Tampa's cap problem, gotta squeeze a few lemons if you can) I would jump all over it. Plus I think he would waive to play in Minnesota since he is good friends with Spurgeon.

Reactions: qqaz

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
$2mm per over 4 years is a lot of retention.
Definitely. But that doesn't change the fact that committing 4 years at $3 M to Johnson is an unnecessary risk for another team.

Teams either don't have the cap space now, don't anticipate having it in the future, or are waiting for better players to shake loose from this cap crunch (which includes next summer).

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Retention is pretty pointless for Tampa. They need as much cap space as possible without totally disrupting the roster. As soon as you start doing 2M in retention you get to the point where you're only saving like 2.5M by trading Johnson which makes it even less worthwhile to trade him. Significant retention on Johnson would save them from giving up a major asset, but they would instead end up having to move 2-3 guys and giving up 2-3 assets instead of one big one, which can be just as damaging.

I still think they're better off finding a weird trade for someone on LTIR.

Edmonton is interesting with their Klefbom situation. Edmonton is trying to compete immediately (but they're having cap issues and talent issues) so they have incentive to trade for player like Killorn or Johnson who can play immediately and giving up on Klefbom who can't stay healthy. They also aren't in a position to be giving out draft picks for talent and have limited options to cut budget. Tampa won't care if Klefbom doesn't play next season since they'll be right against the cap anyway and if he does come back near the end of the season, he won't cost much of anything against the cap. If I were Tampa's GM I'd much rather a high risk asset who is NHL ready rather than giving up picks to dump Johnson. Meanwhile If I was the Oilers GM I'd be happy to get a solid NHL player for a guy who was going to be on LTIR (with a career in jeopardy) in a time when I was trying to contend.

Another option is Ottawa. Even though 80% of Gaborik's salary is likely covered by insurance, that is still almost 1M he is costing Ottawa next season. Ottawa probably isn't interested in Johnson, but Palat only makes 3.5M next season in actual dollars which means trading Palat for Gaborik's expiriing LTIR contract effectively opens up Palat's full 5.3M in cap savings and only costs Ottawa an extra 2.5M in salary next season. I'm not sure Ottawa would give up anything amazing for Palat given what Free Agents are signing for but I'm sure Tampa could get SOMETHING good.

Last option is Detroit who is in much the same situation with Zetterberg as Ottawa is in with Gaborik. Plus there is a lot of history there with Stevie Y. I'm sure Detroit would rather pay an additional 2M next season and get a solid player like Palat as long as Tampa is reasonable with the asking price.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad