Injury Report: Tyler Bozak - Oblique Strain - Update Dec 6: Placed on LTIR

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013
I miss Bolland even more :(

And we're going to be without both for a long while.

you know never dude but the likelihood that he gets re-injured or plays down to injured-player level standards is pretty high if he comes back early. Hopefully he does, we miss him more now than ever.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Without Bozak, Bolland and Lupul, we are a one line team

Easy pickings for our opponents

Well one line and Mason Raymond. With Bozak, Lupul and Bolland in the lineup we get 3 lines each with at least 2 20+ goal scorers:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson/Kulemin
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson/Kulemin

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Without Bozak, Bolland and Lupul, we are a one line team

Easy pickings for our opponents

Well one line and Mason Raymond. With Bozak, Lupul and Bolland in the lineup we get 3 lines each with at least 2 20+ goal scorers:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson/Kulemin
Raymond - Bolland - Clarkson/Kulemin

pft, excuses! we should work harder, darn it!

(for the life of me, I don't understand why more people don't see that. missing a good 1/3rd of our offense and "why don't we score more?").

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What is it with you and your negativity towards this team? All you and your minions do is spew the same garbage about Bozak while whining about the likes of Grabovski and MacArthur who didn't accomplish squat for this team.

Excellent post. That's their plan. Look for more of this if we lose the next 3. It's almost as sure as the sun setting. What's the point of being a Leafs fan when you can be a Caps or Sens fan.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
how many assists does kessel have without bozak? maybe he scores more goals with bozak in the lineup because he knows bozak has no finish? with nathan and jvr kessels got options.

id also be curious to know how many of the games without bozak has bolland + lupul been hurt? having lupul in the lineup makes a difference.

Jonas Seigel mentioned this Kessel is a lot more inconsistent production wise when Bozak is out. The stats bear this out. Most reasonable fans will agree Kessel and JVR play their best hockey when Bozie is in the line up, its not even debatable this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
pft, excuses! we should work harder, darn it!

(for the life of me, I don't understand why more people don't see that. missing a good 1/3rd of our offense and "why don't we score more?").

Bolland and Bozak sheltered Kadri. Again he wasn't as effective last night as when he is away from #1 pairing D men. We do need to work harder, and again maybe conditioning is a product of hard work or lack of it.

MajorityRules*

What is it with you and your negativity towards this team? All you and your minions do is spew the same garbage about Bozak while whining about the likes of Grabovski and MacArthur who didn't accomplish squat for this team.

Ignore them. It's pretty simple really. They've taken a stance and can't back down from it no matter what. The more wrong they are, the louder they get lol.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Bolland and Bozak sheltered Kadri. Again he wasn't as effective last night as when he is away from #1 pairing D men. We do need to work harder, and again maybe conditioning is a product of hard work or lack of it.

Don't know if you've noticed, but almost no one on our team has looked good against Boston in the reg season the past 3 years.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Jonas Seigel mentioned this Kessel is a lot more inconsistent production wise when Bozak is out. The stats bear this out. Most reasonable fans will agree Kessel and JVR play their best hockey when Bozie is in the line up, its not even debatable this year.

Eight points in seven games for Kadri playing on the top line this season, including the last three where Leafs were truly a one-line team. Or was the opposition focussing on shutting down the McClement line? Additionally, in his earlier stint on the #1 line, he was still dropping back to the #2 PP unit.

Kadri was also on ice for 4 of 6 of Kessel's points (and 3 of his goals.) <- Edit: in the playoffs last year.

The whole "sheltered minutes" argument is dying. Kadri's numbers last year would have been very respectable for a first line centre (and even better for a rookie), and yet people really argue they would have been lower had he played with Kessel (with whom he has obvious chemistry), just because he'd be facing tougher defencemen?? He was sheltered defensively last year i.e. he didn't have to handle tough checking assignments - but that doesn't make scoring any easier.

I have nothing against Bozak, he's a decent player, but to suggest Kadri can't handle top line is just silly. With everyone healthy, Kadri plays 2nd line because:
1) Kadri plays well with Lupul
2) Carlyle wants to spread out the offense.
3) Carlyle wants to use first line/playing with Kessel as a carrot to force Kadri to upgrade other parts of his game.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure if this was posted here yet:

This is a funny look into Bozak and Kessel's room mate situation, Phil has come out of his shell, nice to see this side of him.

Last edited:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Really liking this team. Kadri and Holland as 1C and 2C are good centres to work with. Now to decide who to keep as third centre, Bozak or Bolland. I would go with Bolland.

thepatient

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Raymond
Kulemin - Bolland - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Orr/McClaren

My lines when everyone is back

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
This is really dumb to speculate line-ups NOW, when we are what, at least 2-3 months until Bolland comes back?

So much can change or happen.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Who would you take out? Keep in mind, that is when everyone is healthy.

Well it really depends,no?

Is there real chemistry between Lups,Holland,Ray? Time will tell.

For arguments sake, lets say there is. Does that allow Kadri to stay with JVR,Kessel?

3rd line Boz/Bolo/Kuli make your checking line.

4th line for the POs of D'Amig,McClem,Clarkson.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
can Holland play wing?

Would like to see him try, it would add value to him tenfold for our team if we have a player that can play wing and also play Center in emergencies. I would kill for a player like this on our team.

I would not put Kadri, Bozak, or Bolland on the wings though. Holland has enough size now to play wing, Carlyle has commented on him filling out since he saw him as a prospect.

Holland on the wing, why not?

magnet43

May 1, 2011
LEAFLAND
trade bozak and clarkson to jets for setoguchi and stuart

we'll eat part of 71's contract and add a 2nd or 3rd

jvr-kadri-kessel
raymond-holland-lupul
kulemin-bolland-setoguchi

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Jonas Seigel mentioned this Kessel is a lot more inconsistent production wise when Bozak is out. The stats bear this out.

Where are these supposed stats you keep talking about? I haven't seen a single stat that suggests Kessel has more synergy with Bozak than with Kadri. I think you just made that up.

Because the real stats show that the Leafs score about 20% more goals at even strength when Kessel is with Kadri. I believe I even posted these a week or two ago when Bozak got re-injured.

Kadri

GF20 - 1.288
GA20 - 0.716
Differential - 0.572

Bozak

GF20 - 1.067
GA20 - 0.712
Differential - 0.355

Or if you prefer to look at just Kessel's production, he has 10 points in 224 even strength minutes with Bozak (a point every 22.4 minutes) and 9 points in 139 minutes with Kadri (a point every 15.4 minutes).

And as if that difference wasn't stark enough, let's look at PP effectiveness: Kadri 8.67 minutes per point, Bozak 15.0 minutes per point. And that's with Kadri mostly playing on the 2nd PP unit, while Bozak mostly plays on the 1st with Kessel.

Face it - Bozak is a black hole for offense compared to Kadri. And there's almost no difference between the two defensively at even strength.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
^ I agreed with everything you said except the last line. Kadri isn’t in the same place as Bozak defensively. For starters, there is a reason Bozak comes out to take the face-offs in the defensive zone. Also, Bozak plays PK, Kadri has barely sniffed PK time. When Bozak is on his game he is much better defensively than Kadri.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Where are these supposed stats you keep talking about? I haven't seen a single stat that suggests Kessel has more synergy with Bozak than with Kadri. I think you just made that up.

Because the real stats show that the Leafs score about 20% more goals at even strength when Kessel is with Kadri. I believe I even posted these a week or two ago when Bozak got re-injured.

Kadri

GF20 - 1.288
GA20 - 0.716
Differential - 0.572

Bozak

GF20 - 1.067
GA20 - 0.712
Differential - 0.355

Or if you prefer to look at just Kessel's production, he has 10 points in 224 even strength minutes with Bozak (a point every 22.4 minutes) and 9 points in 139 minutes with Kadri (a point every 15.4 minutes).

And as if that difference wasn't stark enough, let's look at PP effectiveness: Kadri 8.67 minutes per point, Bozak 15.0 minutes per point. And that's with Kadri mostly playing on the 2nd PP unit, while Bozak mostly plays on the 1st with Kessel.

Face it - Bozak is a black hole for offense compared to Kadri. And there's almost no difference between the two defensively at even strength.

Great post. Kadri needs to be on that 1st line If this organization wants to go somewhere. 4years of torture with a #3C in Bozo on the 1st line is enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad