Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Not trying to take anything away from him, but Neil had 230 PIM in his draft year and was a 6th round pick. He was definitely not drafted as a skill guy and was never expected to compete with the Hossas of the world. In that era, his path to the NHL was always going to be as that Tie Domi, tough-guy-who-can-play type.

That's not what he said during an interview on the team 1200. He had some seasons with 30 points . He was not a tough guy type of the player in his junior years and was not drafted for that. He told the team, he had to change his style of play to stay in the league because of the number of minutes he was receiving. And not seeing any PP time.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They just never had a good draft, from a D+1 perspective at the very least, all the other teams were on the same playing field

They reached on all 3 top 60 picks, it's not a surprising result thus far. Lots of time left.

Why do you think the Ottawa scouting staff in particular seemingly underperformed compared to Mann's prior drafts?
We can't say its a complete miss at this point but it certainly isn't looking very good in the D+1 season.

The ability to see players live was a constant in NA .. but it seems to have hurt them more. Just interested in your thoughts on that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's not what he said during an interview on the team 1200. He was around or more then 30 points for the first three years in NHL. He was not a tough guy type of the player in his junior years and was not drafted for that. He told the team, he had to change his style of play to stay in the league because of the number of minutes he was receiving. And not seeing any PP time.
Neil's career high in his first 3 seasons was 17 points

Reactions: bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can Boucher produce at a Lazar D+1 clip? There's similarities in their games

58 GP 41 Goals 35 Assists 76 Points

Or even Lazar D-1 season?

72 GP 38 Goals 23 Assists 61 Points

The Senators should hire Neil to teach him how to do it. Neil's strategy for taking on bigger opponents like Chara would come in useful to Boucher.

Yeah but don't you get it already? The Ottawa Senators are the only ones who know what they're doing! Our management is top notch

I would say for the overall 2021 Sens draft, Sens got "overconfident" from previous draft success and went with reaches to anyone but them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It’s bullshit that they didn’t postpone the draft and do a double draft the next year. The Sens had to waste one of the important drafting years of their rebuild with 3 picks in the top 50 on a year where scouts barely got a look at these players.

Other team did just fine.

Mann started to believe in his own hype and the organization decided to place way more emphasis on size and speed than skill and sense, resulting in one of the worst looking draft classes 1/2 a season into D+1 that I've ever seen.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Mann started to believe in his own hype and the organization decided to place way more emphasis on size and speed than skill and sense, resulting in one of the worst looking draft classes 1/2 a season into D+1 that I've ever seen.

Why would anyone expect a draft focused on size and speed to filter well for scoring half a season later ?

These guys have been picked to be the type of players that will out battle players in 5 years because they are bigger, stronger, and have the character to play heavy hockey.

Evaluate them on that. If they are slow or playing soft now the draft could be a miss… not because they aren’t scoring.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sounds like more of a directive to me. I don't think Mann would decide on the priority for particular player profiles.
Boucher 10OA 6'1" RW 205 .. highly physical RW; Position of need; fits the profile
Ostapchuk 39OA 6'3 198 C - nice size C .. could have been looked at as a need at that time. Showed some promise in his DY.; Fits the Profile
Ben Roger 49OA 6'4 201 RD - DJ Smith wish list; Fits the profile
Oliver Johansson 74OA 6'0 183 C/W L - Timra ; Intriguing pick; Young July BD; Euro scout crumb not in the profile; Displays good skills
Carson Latimer 123OA 6'1 185 RW ; Not overly big but decent size ; Good Compete; Hard working Right winger; position of need
Chandler Romeo 202OA 6'5 205 LD - another DJ Smith wish list; fits the profile

---------------------------------------------
Most obvious Misses after the pick - imo
10OA - most obvious one is Sillinger; you can make a case for a few more
39OA - Scott Morrow 6'2 RD Absolutely killing it at UMASS NCAA; Position of Need; Not 6'4 or over. High end top pair potential
49OA - Nikita Chibrikov or Aatu Raty (6'2 185 C) or Ville Koivenen take your pick all having very strong D+1 seasons in men's leagues.
74OA - decent pick; no clear misses
123OA - Jack Matier 6'4 201 RD plays for the 67s . 7g 21pts in 38 games .. ranked 79 in NA by CSS; Fits the profile later in the draft

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Silinger is a pure shooter with defensive limitations. He’s got average speed and if he can’t beat out Batherson/Norris he’s on PP2 not killing any penalties. This isn’t the type of player the Sens want.

Reactions: R We A Team
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad