Player Discussion Tyler Bertuzzi Appreciation Thread

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I appreciate the way Bertuzzi is playing as much as anyone, but those that think Bertuzzi and Domi can both be re-signed, obviously don't think serious attention needs to be paid to the defense core. I disagree.

Let's be real, Domi probably does not cost less than $4 million × 4 years. A guy who is playing top line minutes and is going to be damn near 50 points will not come any cheaper than that. Meanwhile, Bertuzzi isn't taking a pay cut from the $5.5 million he's making now. Let's say for argument sake he's willing to sign $5.5 × 3 Toronto. Let's look at the cap. We'll even assume Toronto is able to move Jarnkrok and Kampf, to save some money from the bottom 6 in the forward group.

2024-2025 Salary Cap

Forwards
Auston Matthews: $13,250,000
William Nylander: $11,500,000
John Tavares: $11,000,000
Mitch Marner: $10,903,000
Tyler Bertuzzi: $5,500,000
Max Domi: $4,000,000
Bobby McMann: $1,300,000
Nick Robertson: $1,200,000 (guess)
ELC / FA: $1,000,000
ELC / FA: $1,000,000
Eastan Cowan: $935,833
Pontus Holmberg: $800,000
Connor Dewar: $800,000

Defense
Morgan Rielly: $7,500,000
Jake McCabe: $2,000,000
Simon Benoit: $1,300,000
FA / Trade (like Liljegren)
FA / Trade
FA / Trade
Connor Timmins: $1,100,000

Goalies
FA / Trade
Joseph Woll: $766,667

Expected Salary Cap: $87,700,000
Total Cap Hit: $75,854,667
Salary Cap Remaining: $11,845,333

So even if you can move Jarnkrok and Kampf, bury Reaves and sign two FA's in your forward group (or ELCs) for $1 million each, you still have less than $12 million dollars to sign 3 Defenseman and a goalie, while trying to upgrade your backend. And that's IF you can get Domi to extend at $4.0 million and Bertuzzi to extend at $5.5 million. So unless you feel that emergence of Domi and Bertuzzi is enough to make Marner expendable in a trade that returns a stud defenseman and an NHL ready top 9 forward that combine to equal roughly his cap hit, I don't see how it's doable, without AGAIN neglecting your d-core.
that’s looking tough…

Because of the core, I’d let Bert walk, as we unfortunately aren’t trading Marner/nylander, can’t trade Tavares, and aren’t dumb enough to trade Matthews. So we’d have almost 17 million.

Use Bert’s money entirely on a dman, then grab another 3 million dollar dman and then a league min one. That leaves 8-9 million left for 3 forwards and a goalie, in this scenario I’d keep jarnkrok as his cap hit makes more sense on the team than off, so 2 forwards and a goalie for 6-7 million. Grab a tandem goalie for 2 million to split with woll, and then 1 forward at 1 million, and the other forward with the ear of the money. Obviously it’s much easier to say ballparks and talk vs doing it but this would make the most sense to me.

the players (core 4) need to realize that this is almost entirely their fault. We have 0 cap dumps on our cap and yet can’t fill our roster with everything we need. Matthews giving 0 leeway and nylander somehow negative leeway is gonna cost us another top 6 winger. Marners coming up and he sure as hell won’t either

In this case, it’s now 3? Top 6 Wingers we’ve had to let walk because of the salary.

The funny thing is they SHOULD still be able to win. The philosphy of paying high end talent is that you need less supporting talent, but these guys need it all, so yet again idk why they are paid so much

Reactions: ToneDog

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Imagine we give Domi/Bert matching $4.5m x 4 contracts or something like that. i can dream
I cannot see a reality in which Tyler Bertuzzi takes a pay cut simply because he had a rough first half of the season. Another team will see his second half numbers, factor in his intangibles and offer more than $4.5 million. I think that at best you get hints resigned for the same money... JMO.

Trade
Kampf
Jamcrock

I would rather have Bert and Domi
Re-read my post (I know it's long). My numbers already factor in Jarnkrok and Kampf both being traded and Ryan Reaves being buried. With all of that Toronto would have roughly $11.8 million to add 3 defensemen and a goalie, while attempting to upgrade their backend.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Bert might take the Hyman contract with a bit less average. This is his healthiest season in a few years.

The team was at a similar spot with Hyman at almost the same age. Injury and age concerns for a long contract. It's worked out great for Edmonton and as the cap rises the last couple years won't be an issue if he slows down. I think most of us would take Hyman back in a heartbeat, even if he was only scoring 30 goals and not 50.

I'd be fine if the team signed him long-term to bring down the average. If injury concerns pop up again they'll have the LTIR and can go the way of Vegas at the TDL.

We have known for awhile now they're likely to take a step back next year with the last year of JT's contract. Assuming they don't lay eggs in the payoffs I'd prefer they keep two guys (Bertuzzi, Domi) who seem to have found their place on the team and are producing. They'll still have enough money to sign at least one decent dman.

They'll have to lean on the kids more next season to fill out the roster and then use the money from JT + salary cap increase to fill out the D more.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Bert might take the Hyman contract with a bit less average. This is his healthiest season in a few years.

The team was at a similar spot with Hyman at almost the same age. Injury and age concerns for a long contract. It's worked out great for Edmonton and as the cap rises the last couple years won't be an issue if he slows down. I think most of us would take Hyman back in a heartbeat, even if he was only scoring 30 goals and not 50.

I'd be fine if the team signed him long-term to bring down the average. If injury concerns pop up again they'll have the LTIR and can go the way of Vegas at the TDL.

We have known for awhile now they're likely to take a step back next year with the last year of JT's contract. Assuming they don't lay eggs in the payoffs I'd prefer they keep two guys (Bertuzzi, Domi) who seem to have found their place on the team and are producing. They'll still have enough money to sign at least one decent dman.

They'll have to lean on the kids more next season to fill out the roster and then use the money from JT + salary cap increase to fill out the D more.
Players (mostly their agents) that are wanted in the league, generally look at cap percentage these days, along with comparables. So Hyman signed for $5.5 million, which is what Bertuzzi is making now. At BEST Toronto gets him to extend at that price (I doubt they get 7 years), however, I wouldn't be shocked to see him want a number between $5.6 and $5.8 given that he's an FA and the cap is rising by $4+ million next year.

Reactions: Jmo89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad