Two New Spots and Shanahan-The Marketing Genius?

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
From today's NY Post:

The league kicks its campaign up a notch this week with two new spots - just as NBC's coverage settles into the playoff push.

The spots show the players in some hotel high jinks - calling in a bogus room service order for a rival player in a room down the hall, engaging in hallway luggage cart races, pillow fights and dropping water balloons out a window.

Credit Brendan Shanahan of the Rangers for coming up with the idea for showing the players as real people - and the NHL for running with it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02112007/business/nhl_takes_shot_with_new_ads_business_denis_gorman.htm

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As long as the pillow fights don't involve them bouncing on the beds in their underwear, swatting at each other and giggling like schoolgirls

They better be the "stuff the pillow down in the bottom of the pillow cover to create a pillow of doom" variety and have guys getting knocked out cold

techtroll

Jan 28, 2007
It doesn't matter how "funny" an ad is. The purpose of an ad is not to make you laugh, it's to get you to buy the product. Are you more likely to buy hockey tickets or watch it on TV having seen these ads? If not, then they are a total failure and a waste of time and money. The NHL should be emphasizing how action-packed and exciting the game is, and how the tickets are reasonably priced. No wait, I forgot. The tickets aren't reasonably priced. Never mind ...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

espo*

The Islanders have some seriously UGLY ice girls. Must be the toxic water out there...

****,they ain't ugly.

that's ugly in New York? I'd pray for those gals to roll into my town.

New Yorkers, it appears you've got it way too good.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
It doesn't matter how "funny" an ad is. The purpose of an ad is not to make you laugh, it's to get you to buy the product. Are you more likely to buy hockey tickets or watch it on TV having seen these ads? If not, then they are a total failure and a waste of time and money. The NHL should be emphasizing how action-packed and exciting the game is, and how the tickets are reasonably priced. No wait, I forgot. The tickets aren't reasonably priced. Never mind ...

It's a good point, i think they're really only gonna entertain people who already know the players.

Substitute Crosby with Duane Wade and Ovechkin with Lebron James and I'm not any more likely to watch the NBA.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
It's a good point, i think they're really only gonna entertain people who already know the players.

Substitute Crosby with Duane Wade and Ovechkin with Lebron James and I'm not any more likely to watch the NBA.
Well, one of the several knocks on hockey's inability to market well is that NHL players lack "personality". Problem is personality in today's sports world is defined by excessively celebrating, being a distraction for the team, and entertaining fans beyond his play. Because hockey players have been schooled since they put on skates that hockey is a team game and not to be a distraction in the media. They very rarely gloat or do anything outlandish, fans, especially casual ones, rarely get to know who these players truly are. Add to that the fact that players wear helmets so you cannot really put a face to the name and you see why the NHL is going in this direction...

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
I agree... matching personalities to people in helmets and gear is hard...

But what about the NFL? Their players are clad in protection! How do they do it?

I'll tell you how...

Product advertisement! Campbells Chunky Soup, UnderArmor, Nike, etc.

Brand names.

Remember these commercials people?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CJ4enj65xI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oQdV3dz-vo
To a certain extent. The point I was to make in my rambling is that NFL players receive mainstream attention for excessive celebrations. The NFL is the most popular in the country. Bar none. It is really unfair to measure the NHL vs. the NFL, the other professional sports leagues get trumped by the NFL. I agree there has been some better marketing with the NFL, but the NHL is moving towards the soup commercials with spots like this. And as far as the helmet goes, like I say, NFL is more popular and players receive more mainstream attention because a number of skill players receive attention for things that have nothing to do with their abilities

Golden Slumbers

Dec 26, 2005
Ottawa
it's on the NHL.com website...

LOL @ Ovechkin ordering the food to Crosby's room. Crosby is a horrible actor though and really ruined the spot for me.

http://www2.nhl.com/video/app?page=...comp/0607/promos/promo_roadtrip_mynhl_700.wmv

I thought his bit at the end was the funniest part.

His clenched fist and "Ovechkin!" is so much like Seinfeld it's ridiculous. Whenever I see the ad all I can think is "...Newman!".

BTW whoever had the idea for the Swedish twins spot is genius.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As long as the pillow fights don't involve them bouncing on the beds in their underwear, swatting at each other and giggling like schoolgirls

They better be the "stuff the pillow down in the bottom of the pillow cover to create a pillow of doom" variety and have guys getting knocked out cold

Nope, its the schoolgirls scenario. Pillow of doom sounds really cool tho. You could have a guy whacked with a pillow and going flying through a wall. :pillow: Need more doom pillows! :D

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Would any commercial make you more inclined to watch the NBA? I agree advertising with commercials works with a lot of products, but sports aren't one of them. Theres not one NBA commercial where I would be like, OH WOW, time to watch the NBA now.

These commercials are entertaining, and thats all you can ask for in my mind. They have those Lebron James commercials where its him playing all different family members, its entertaining, but I wont watch an NBA game because of it, and I cant think of any commercial that would do so.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Would any commercial make you more inclined to watch the NBA? I agree advertising with commercials works with a lot of products, but sports aren't one of them. Theres not one NBA commercial where I would be like, OH WOW, time to watch the NBA now.

These commercials are entertaining, and thats all you can ask for in my mind. They have those Lebron James commercials where its him playing all different family members, its entertaining, but I wont watch an NBA game because of it, and I cant think of any commercial that would do so.

I really don't think there is much of anything that could make me become an NBA fan, certainly not a commercial.

I don't mean to ascribe my own standards to others, but I laugh a little everyone someone comes up with a quick fix for increasing the popularity of the NHL. Tighter uniforms! better television angles! more racial diversity! The 403rd clip of Ovechkin highlights set to Linkin Park music! Athletes with more attitude!
None of those sorts of things would make me any more likely to watch the NBA (allowing for the obvious differences), so I can't imagine how they'd make anyone all that much more likely to follow hockey.

I suppose the best commercials can really do is help remind people "hey, we're still out here" and give some names people might recognize at some point in the future.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
Cambell soup ads etc are ads for a product, not football or the NFL.

Advertising players is not as important as advertising your sport and teams. When you make the sport popular, the players will become popular and be able to get ads on their own.

NFL Players are more popular then NHL players because people care about the NFL. People don't care about the NHL.

I think there is a false assumption that the NBA is a jugernaut of success. It is not much better off then the NHL.

Showing ads to NHL fans watching the NHL game is mostly pointless. They need to ge their ads on in the middle of the football games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad