Two Brothers Make a Mock... Managing Not to Mangle, Maul or Murder Each Other....

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Oasis was on tour the last time we have witnessed such a level of brother-back-biting, backstabbing, character-assassinations, and even petty name-calling! We bring you two brothers joining forces to make a Mock Draft!

The need for two people in this process is that it can balance out biases and individual theories… bringing two opposite views together to pick down the middle … there are a few surprises along the way –perhaps.

Now, what we (my brother --WetCoastWhale) made a formula we devised has us naming out likely candidates for each pick –with the most likely pick (in our eyes) being bolded. This is not a ‘cover-our-butts by naming 15teams’ BS kind of scenario like Eklund… just is a way of two opinions getting to be represented while listing possible plan B’s. I am a Bruins fan and he is a Canucks fan so we could keep each other honest.

:blues 1.St. Louis
Factors:The most talked about 1st pick in awhile (in terms of it being fluid) We’re gonna say there is only a 30% chance that they take Erik Johnson…and a 70% chance that they take someone else getting some kind of deal from Pittsburgh to pass up EJ.

But who else? Phil Kessel (10%) gets a look as a hometown boy… I’m sure that St. Louis wouldn’t mind Toews(10%) with Oshie in the NHL as well… and Backstrom(10%) is never a bad option either. In the end you have to think that they are going to gamble abit on the young Jordan Staal(40%), while taking compensation from the Pens for passing up EJ... and wanting to keep the marketing possibility of the #1 pick...
The pick: Jordan Staal

:pens 2 –Pittsburgh
Factors: With Malkin and Crosby already in the fold they need to find a franchise D man. My call: either way they are ending up with a Johnson on D!*if* don’t find a way to land EJ then they will either go with Backstrom or trade the number2 pick plus something (Orpik anyone :biglaugh: ) for Jack Johnson. Honestly, how impressed could the Canes be with JJ deciding not to suit up for the playoffs when they needed him and wanted him?

Carolina can address their D through free-agency. Eric is going to be a UFA by what?-26- I think it (having a brother) does become a bargaining chip. After having seen Malkin dominate in another Euro mens league it will make Backstrom even more enticing. Shero is not going to want to have his pants pulled down in his first trade as Pens GM, so I cannot see him overpaying to get EJ or JJ –at the same time he was part of building a brilliant young D in Nashville, so you have to think this is a priority.
The pick: Johnson or Johnson

:hawks 3 –Chicago
The Factors: Phil Kessel seems like a possible fit here –however- there are some factors to come into play here. (1)Been-there-done-that.Chicago has already had the fast Americans with abit of attitutde (read: Amonte and Roenick) but neither got them a Cup –though they did play well for the Hawks. The Hawks have been burnt a few times in the 1st and may be wary of this… but they really need a big (possible) franchise center (Staal) who may end up as tall as Daze… oh wait…
Seriously, if Staal is available we think they might go with him… but assuming he is gone Toews is the safer pick here. We’ll put our money on it… I know lots of people had Toews here awhile ago... and now he is dropping? :dunno: I (Colt.45) have only seen two people dominate the Enmax Centre in Lethbridge like Toews did… the other was Ryan Getzlaf.
The pick: The Hawks are going to dig their Tallon’s in on Toews

:caps 4—Washington
The factors:The majority of people think that the Caps are going to snag a playmaker (read: Backstrom) to go with Ovechkin with this pick. We think differently. There is only one pick here who can skate with Ovechkin and that is Kessel. Drunk with speed and skill the Caps try to strike gold twice here and draft Kessel… who is a wonderful playmaker when he wants to be. Kessel-Bourque in the new NHL anyone?…
Basically it comes down to Kessel or Backstrom here… Kessel or Backstrom…we’ll say…well we would pick Backstrom here… but have a feeling McPhee will take:
The pick: Mueller :eek:
(fwiw – we think it should be Backstrom, Okposo or Kessel here… but have little faith in McPhee…flame away Caps fans)

:bruins 5—Boston
The factors:Whomever is left from the fab5 lands a 70% chance of being drafted here, while there is a 30% chance that they go off the ‘board’ - and rely on their own board. Of the 30%, Okposo, Mueller, Little –even Sheppard are a top candidates (keep in mind the Bruins didn’t like Anthony Stewart a few years back so won’t go darkhorse with Chris) but also keep in mind that the Bruins are happy with recently signed Kalus and Krejci… could one of their countrymen go here?…
Basically, the candidates here are between whomever drops between Kessel and Backstrom and another outside force… as such we are going to say that if Backstrom is here they take him…
The pick: Backstrom

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
:cbj 6—Columbus

There is also a good chance that they go with Mueller (if McPhee doesn't grab him) or Brassard here…however… they are not regretting picking Brule a year ago and Little gives them the same thing (feistiness and skill in a slightly smaller package).
Either way, they are going CHL here again. There is no Zherdev available here so they are not going Euro.
The pick: Bryan Little

:isles 7—NYI
The pick: Phil Kessel –if you can’t believe that Phil-the-thrill dropped this far… then take it up with my brother...I tried. IMO Mueller and Little could switch places (from what we have here)

:wild 8—Minnesota (from Pheonix)
Okposo(98% -they take him if he is still there…2% chance they slip up in the excitement and say Okoposo instead…how embarrassing eh Darth? ;) )… Minny panics knowing their boy is so close… and they trade up a pick to make sure they land their potential power-forward.
The pick: Okposo

:coyotes 9—Pheonix (from Minnesota)
The pick: Frolic(60%)… Pheonix lets everyone know that they choose to ''honour his family'' by changing the spelling of his last name to Frolic with a ‘’c’’. Brassard (40%) is a strong candidate here… however he is not European or a US boy so he has that working against him.

:panthers 10—Florida
Brassard (50%) Stewart (30%) and Sheppard (20%) are all in play here… Keenan plans on going with the younger Stewart until Brassard drops into his lap here. It will be hard to pass up on the younger, better, brother (aren’t we all) but in the end they decide to roll with the pick: Brassard...BPA

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
:nucks 11 – Vancouver (from Los Angeles)
LA doesn’t worry about moving with Vancouver (+pick/prospect) at this point being certain that the Nucks are not going to take a Dman. The Canucks are looking at Sheppard (60%) or Stewart(40%) at this point…. And assuming Sheppard will grow into those size 15skates they take him. The onus in on Nonis to make a splash in his backyard and they don’t want to get stuck with another Dman. Hometown fans boo this pick, then booo the jumbotron not being in high def…. Then boo the air conditioning in the building… then booo Sheppard again for the heck of it. Happy bunch.
The pick: Sheppard

:thrashers 12—Hotlanta
Tlusty (75%) Sanguinetti (25%) and the Czech goes here. Deal with it.

:leafs 13—Toronto
Chris Stewart(60%), Yasyunov(20%) or Emmerton(10%)…maybe Berglund (10%)
Yasyunov might have an attitude (when has that ever scared off the Leafs) and Emmerton fits in with some of the smaller OHL guys that have succeeded in the NHL and he is speedy too. Stewart is our pick though with speed AND size.

:kings 14 –Los Angeles (from Vancouver)
Sanguinetti (60%) just put up too good of numbers to look the other way on this one. Tlusty is a thought (30%) if still there and Sheppard too (10%) to get looked at… but in the end this is a shot at a pp qb for the next decade.

:bolts 15 –Tampa Bay
Tampa won’t look to solve next year’s goaltending problems with this pick… but they had better start planning for the future… Bernier is the smart money here (60%) with Helenius in play and Nigel Williams, or Wishart perhaps (the latter three fitting into their draft policy of go big or go home) so in that respect actually you would have to think that Helenius is going to be their guy. Blah –we’re waffling here but just going to say that Goertsen is going to go with:
The pick: Bernier. Unless T-Bay decides to gocrazy and jump the gun on Pepin. :biglaugh:

And we’re gonna take a break… maybe we’ll get around to doing the final 15 latter on in the week.

Last edited:

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
Nice... I like the idea of the 2 minds of course. Also, as a Pens fan, I'd love any of the possible 3 situations you have listed as possibilities. The "Backstrom at #2" Idea has been getting more popular among Penguins fans, and despite our need for defense, that is what I'd like them to do most of all. However, something inside tells me that the Pens staff just doesn't have high interest in Backstrom (sigh).

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
WashJeffHockey19 said:
Nice... I like the idea of the 2 minds of course. Also, as a Pens fan, I'd love any of the possible 3 situations you have listed as possibilities. The "Backstrom at #2" Idea has been getting more popular among Penguins fans, and despite our need for defense, that is what I'd like them to do most of all. However, something inside tells me that the Pens staff just doesn't have high interest in Backstrom (sigh).

Thanks bud -we're just having fun with this one... if he (WetCoastWhale) did his own draft I suspect Backstrom would be #1 and I would think of him as #2... yet somehow he slipped down to 5 when we argued it out :dunno: :amazed: :biglaugh:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Ha, fun reads. I'm not too keen on LA getting Sanguinetti, but the argument behind it makes sense.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
WashJeffHockey19 said:

I agree with this, both that I want Backstrom for the Pens and that the Pens don't seem high on Backstrom.

I think the Pens board looks something like this:
1. Johnson
2. Toews
3. Staal
4. Kessel

Although I think you could interchange the forwards easily. I'd be content with Toews for sure. I like style and don't like to see the general bashing of him that is taking place, but I don't think he is a good fit. Same with Kessel, even moreso. I just don't see him as a good linemate for either Crosby or Malkin.

Backstrom on the other hand I think compliments either - especially Crosby - very well. Add in the fact that he is a versatile player who will play and contribute in all situations, and I think he is the BPA after Johnson. I think the gap between him and Johnson is very close (in other words I just don't generally think there are any big gaps between most of the top players), but I give the slight nod to Johnson for the #1.

Good read on the mock. It seems like the St Louis will pick someone else idea, with the potential sweetening of the pot by the Pens, is getting pretty popular. I think this is a reasonable situation if St Louis likes one of the forwards a whole lot. Like I said, in my mind, Johnson is not elevated that far over the group of the next 4 forwards, so it'd be understandable, although somewhat surprising, if the Blues just end up picking a Staal overall without making any deals.

My ideal situations in order for the Pens on draft day are this:
1. Someone end up with Jack Johnson at the end of the day, even if you have to give up more than #2.
2. Luck out and wind up with Erik Johnson, even if you give up a little bit extra (no Welch though, Prussian_Blue ;) ).
3. Surprise the draft analysts on OLN who will be talking all about the other three NA forwards and go with Backstrom at #2.

My first thought about what will happen with the Pens is that they will end up with Kessel or Toews. Now, I believe that they will end up with either Toews or Staal.

Interesting call with Mueller to the Caps. I have read that Mueller's shot is one of his biggest pros, and you would think the Caps are going to want a playmaker for AO. They have seemed to go North American for the last few years (although trading for a pick to land Semin is a notable exception), so Mueller wouldn't blow my socks off.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
While I know anything that comes out of a GMs mouth must be taken with a grain of salt at this time of year, I can’t see the CBJ picking Little.

MacLean has repeatedly said it probably will be Kessel, Mueller, Brassard or Backstrom. Now I know that doesn’t make it so, but MacLean has been a fairly straight-shooter when it comes to drafts. He doesn’t show his cards, but he’ll point you in the right direction.

In their short history, MacLean really has only gone “off the board†if you will and made a somewhat surprising pick once -- Alex Picard in ‘04. Maybe, to a lesser extent, you could argue Pascal Leclaire in ‘01.

But the Jackets have pretty much gone chalk with their draft picks -- picking up exactly the player most expect them to pick once their choice rolls around (Klesla, Nash, Zherdev, Brule).

Can’t see them going for Little (and I don’t expect them to trade down). I suspect it’ll be whoever slides to them at 6 -- my bets are Mueller or Backstrom.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
Can’t see them going for Little (and I don’t expect them to trade down). I suspect it’ll be whoever slides to them at 6 -- my bets are Mueller or Backstrom.

I would agree... however... we were trying to make it an interesting read and not do a carbon-copy of other drafts... and we had Mueller already going 4th :D Little seems to have some of Brule's attributes so we don't mind that pick. If Mueller is there than he is my guess.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
MrKnowNothing said:
Interesting call with Mueller to the Caps. I have read that Mueller's shot is one of his biggest pros, and you would think the Caps are going to want a playmaker for AO. They have seemed to go North American for the last few years (although trading for a pick to land Semin is a notable exception), so Mueller wouldn't blow my socks off.

Mueller is a fantastic playmaker from what I have seen. Can't skate at AO's level, but is really good at holding on to the puck and then hitting the streaking winger in stride. Mueller also adds a defensive presence to that line, and also has similiar size to Ovechkin. If they developed some chemistry it would be scary. We just see-McPhee surprising on this one... not neccesariy where we had Mueller ranked.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Colt.45Orr said:
Mueller is a fantastic playmaker from what I have seen. Can't skate at AO's level, but is really good at holding on to the puck and then hitting the streaking winger in stride. Mueller also adds a defensive presence to that line, and also has similiar size to Ovechkin. If they developed some chemistry it would be scary. We just see-McPhee surprising on this one... not neccesariy where we had Mueller ranked.
As a Caps' fan, this wouldn't be a surprise (or a disappointment, for that matter) at all. McPhee and Co. are notorious for favoring WHL players. Mueller's actually kind of who I'm expecting them to pick. I'd be thrilled with that pick, however, I like Mueller much more than most.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
If the Coyotes take Frolik (even if it's changed to Frolic) when Brassard is still on the board something very heavy is going to fly through my TV screen.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
McPhee and Co. are notorious for favoring WHL players.

Agreed... that factored heavily into our decision... while researching their picks we were blown away by how many WHL guys they have taken. I knew they favoured them... just didn't think it was so heavy.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Alberta Yote said:
If the Coyotes take Frolik (even if it's changed to Frolic) when Brassard is still on the board something very heavy is going to fly through my TV screen.

Better be watching the draft on your backup set then. ;)

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Colt.45Orr said:
I would agree... however... we were trying to make it an interesting read and not do a carbon-copy of other drafts... and we had Mueller already going 4th :D Little seems to have some of Brule's attributes so we don't mind that pick. If Mueller is there than he is my guess.

I respect that.

MacLean just said on his radio show that he thinks the team will get a center. Not that that is going out on too much of a limb considering some combination of at least three of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Mueller, Brassard and Little are going to be at #6 for them.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I respect that.

MacLean just said on his radio show that he thinks the team will get a center. Not that that is going out on too much of a limb considering some combination of at least three of Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Mueller, Brassard and Little are going to be at #6 for them.

Geez, what a shocker eh? Does he always spoil you with such inside info?

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Colt.45Orr said:
:nucks 11 – Vancouver (from Los Angeles)
LA doesn’t worry about moving with Vancouver (+pick/prospect) at this point being certain that the Nucks are not going to take a Dman. The Canucks are looking at Sheppard (60%) or Stewart(40%) at this point…. And assuming Sheppard will grow into those size 15skates they take him. The onus in on Nonis to make a splash in his backyard and they don’t want to get stuck with another Dman. Hometown fans boo this pick, then booo the jumbotron not being in high def…. Then boo the air conditioning in the building… then booo Sheppard again for the heck of it. Happy bunch.
The pick: Sheppard

Canucks fan will rejoice if we pick Sheppard. REJOICE! We're hoping he falls to us, or we manage to trade up to get him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i love all these mock drafts having Kessel(and soemtimes Backstrom) fall tot he Islanders, don't see it happening though unfortuntly.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Colt.45Orr said:
And we’re gonna take a break… maybe we’ll get around to doing the final 15 latter on in the week.
What?!?! Come on, my man! You were getting close to Buffalo's pick...

I think McPhee would be total donkey if he didn't take Backstrom at #4. If that happens, then I can see the B's going with Okposo. Just a gut feeling there with no basis at all. ;)

Good job, buddy. I look forward to the rest.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Good job Colt. Very entertaining mock. I think I would be ecstatic if Backstrom fell to the Bruins, but prior to the WCs he was pegged in as the #5 pick, but I think he's moved up his stock with a strong showing at the tournament.

I like the Mueller pick to Washington. I know McPhee loves the WHLers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad