OT: TV thread

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
A couple of recent Netflix shows I can recommend (both are pretty violent):
  • The Brothers Sun (with Michelle Yeoh) - funny at times, with entertaining fight scenes.
  • Blue Eye Samurai (an English language anime) - high-quality animation and a surprisingly deep, layered story.
I really enjoyed both.
Blue eye samurai was good. My daughter and her boyfriend happened to walk in while I was watching. It was the skinny dipping scene. It was awful.

• Haha
Reactions: Concessionaire

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Bought the "Fringe" tv series on DVD and just finished rewatching (originally watched on Netflix years ago). I had forgotten just how well done the series was and very entertaining. Definitely one of the best sci-fi series of all time ... top 15 if not in the top 10.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Watching Star Trek (original) season 1 episode 3 "Where no man has gone before"
Late in the episode on the planet where Lt. Comm. Gary Mitchell is battling Capt. Kirk ... the tombstone for Capt. Kirk reads: James R. Kirk, not James T. Kirk. Interesting. I wonder when they changed the middle name to Tiberius?

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Bought the "Fringe" tv series on DVD and just finished rewatching (originally watched on Netflix years ago). I had forgotten just how well done the series was and very entertaining. Definitely one of the best sci-fi series of all time ... top 15 if not in the top 10.
Absolutely agree on Fringe

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Never seen it but may have to give it a try, looks good.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've finally been able to finish the Crown. The last half of the last season kind of became a soap opera, but I will miss the show both for how interesting the events surrounding the reign of Queen Elizabeth were, and for the fantastic actors they had in all three eras of the show.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Watching Star Trek (original) season 1 episode 3 "Where no man has gone before"
Late in the episode on the planet where Lt. Comm. Gary Mitchell is battling Capt. Kirk ... the tombstone for Capt. Kirk reads: James R. Kirk, not James T. Kirk. Interesting. I wonder when they changed the middle name to Tiberius?
I am a big Trek Tos fan, to the point of knowing trivia about stuff like this. Anyway, there is an hour or so, two part video on YouTube with Herbert F Solow, one of the producers and writers, that touches on this.
Evidently, Gene Roddenberry had a superstition about using R in the middle names of his characters; hence they used James R. Kirk. As for when they changed it to Tiberius, i do not know. I think he uses T. pretty early in season one. (The first three episodes were all done quickly including "Where no man has gone before." I bet it was sometime soon after that, fwiw.
(Good luck finding the video; it is interesting. it has lots of little nuggets about the formation of the show and about Roddenbery's life and earlier career.) For Example, Sulu was named in honor of Herbert F. Solow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreghorn2 and JAD

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just watched Chosen One on Amazon, doc about Alexandre Daigle, was exceptionally good, really highlights how inept the Sens were in how they handled him and how far the game has come with it`s recognition of the need often for sports psychologists

Even for our younger fans here who may not have heard of Daigle, I highly recommend you give it a watch

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just watched Chosen One on Amazon, doc about Alexandre Daigle, was exceptionally good, really highlights how inept the Sens were in how they handled him and how far the game has come with it`s recognition of the need often for sports psychologists

Even for our younger fans here who may not have heard of Daigle, I highly recommend you give it a watch
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check this out.

A friend of mine introduced me to Daigle in Montreal at a Bruins game back in 2015. We spoke for about 10min and what struck me about him was how smart, humble and incredibly nice he was.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check this out.

A friend of mine introduced me to Daigle in Montreal at a Bruins game back in 2015. We spoke for about 10min and what struck me about him was how smart, humble and incredibly nice he was.
my pleasure, my dad had season tix back then, a few times a year fans had access to the players for various events, he was always very nice but you could see he was not in his element, he didn`t speak English very well yet, watch the doc, it`ll surprise you how often it felt like he was a kid simply left out on an Island alone.

Really too bad but he appears to be totally at peace

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Just watched the first 2 Episodes of Masters of the Air this past week. Not bad, but not at the level of Band of Brothers. I read the book so I'm familiar with the story and characters. New episode comes out on Friday, covering the Schweinfurt-Regensburg raid (won't ruin the plot, but you can Google it). That'll be pretty intense.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with Austin Butler though. I keep thinking that he's Elvis........

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Been watching Star Trek original series which I just got on DVD ... after all these years (going back to the 60's) I just noticed that the guy who played the Squire of Gothos also plays the Klingon captain in The Trouble with Tribbles.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I've been watching Traitors on Peacock, it's actually pretty fun, even though I only recognized one of the reality show contestants at the start of it.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bio on WWF wrestlers is fantastic - I was only interested in the 1980s. Really well done documentary.

A must watch is Godfather of Harlem. Finished season 3 last night. Season 4 on its way.

I love True Detective. Unfortunately not crazy about this season. Stopped after 3 episodes.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The Gilded Age Season 2:

Started off meh. I didn’t want to finish it, but could tell my wife really did so I took one for the team.

The last few episodes somewhat redeemed it.

Reactions: Mione134

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Watching Spencer for Hire, the first time in years since I last watched it. I love it!

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just started watching Loudermilk on Netflix.

Gives me Curb Your Enthusiasm vibes.

Pretty funny so far.
great show, many of the cast members are in fact in recovery, one of the reasons why we don`t see the actor who played Cutter in year 1 is he relapsed in real life

watched the first two episodes of Sexy Beast on Paramount, lotta fun so far

Reactions: Gee Wally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad